Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New diesel and petrol cars face 2040 ban

Delanor said:
Its the oil Sheiks I feel sorry for - even now I bet they are quivering in their sandals worrying if they should cancel the order for the latest fleet of Veyrons! :damn:

Del.

Think about it though, isn't something rarer going to be worth more? Like Petrol and diesel engine motor cars?

MisterCorn said:
Last figures I could find were that in the UK we use around 45 billion litres of road fuel per year, at an energy rate of about 10kWh/l this means that we would need around 450 billion kWh or 450 terrawatt hours (TWh) to replace all of the fuel that we use with electricity.
In 2014 the total electricity demand in the UK was 301.7TWh according to Wikipedia.
The figures above won't be quite right due to different efficiencies in the electric cars, but you get the idea. If we didn't use petrol or diesel we would need to basically double of electricity production. I don't see any plans for this right now.

MC

Give it a quarter of a century and I suspect that domestic solar installations and household batteries could very well have that covered. They are only a few years away from mainstream viability now, and after that then demand on the grid could well fall much more steeply than it currently is. Plus of course, electric cars will mostly be topped off overnight when there is currently minimal demand and what that will do is enable round the clock utilisation of mainstream (non-solar) generating resources which actually makes the system more efficient and will reduce the unit cost of energy. Tidal lakes are another avenue of additional power generation that is being explored with some genuine potential.

And I said topped off overnight because it is fairly reasonable to expect that in a quarter of a century there will be no issue in mundane electric cars having a nominal range in the region of 500+ miles, so stopping during a journey to refuel could potentially be a thing of the past. Self driving will probably finally be happening in 20 years too so service stations will really be all about food, toilets and powering up long range heavy haulage... :dont know:

But even with all of that said - 2040 is just to stop selling new dino-juice cars. The ones already there and those sold in the intervening time will likely still be on the roads unless taxed off of them for a good 15-20+ years after that ban.

All a case of move along, nothing here to see really.

spongebob squarepants said:
Delanor said:
Its the oil Sheiks I feel sorry for - even now I bet they are quivering in their sandals worrying if they should cancel the order for the latest fleet of Veyrons! :damn:

Think about it though, isn't something rarer going to be worth more? Like Petrol and diesel engine motor cars?

If demand falls then prices fall, but there will still be demand - oil won't be rarer but rather the supply will fall in line with cost of extraction versus market price. Ships and planes will still be using it, as will plastics and rubber production and a lot of the worlds power generation will remain petrochemical beyond our lifetimes most likely.

Who it is the worst news for depends upon the cost of production though - falling prices from decreased demand reduce revenue potential for all, but the critical factor is economic viability of production. The UK will be first out of the oil game, then Brazil, Nigeria, Venezuela and so on. If it gets much below the equivalent of $20/barrel in todays money then Russia are screwed, but that needs to halve again before it might impact Iran, Saudi and the other Gulf states.

The sheiks won't be laughing, but they will certainly be the last ones to start crying as they have the cheapest stuff to dig up. I don't think that the Chiron is about to be discontinued just yet. :thumb:

It's no surprise the Chancellor of the Exchequer was on radio today 'worried' about the lost revenue currently collected from VED, fuel etc. :roll: The Govt will have to rethink how it charges motorists going forward :pc:

Zero tax for fully electric? I wouldn't count on it and the motorist will still get shafted but this time without 'petroleum' jelly :hand:

Does anyone really think that the zillionaires running the oil producing regions will let this happen? C'mon, pull the other one! They will have our corrupt politicians in their pockets within a fraction of a second and the implementation date will just keep being delayed until there is no more black gold left to flog.

And at worst we will get a cash for clunkers type bid to swap out of our dated old relics into an all new singing and dancing driver less electro car.

"cash for gassers" £2000 :D

So the 996 might be worth something in just 23 years :lol:

The government will find a way to rip the tax out of the electric cars users for sure. Look what's happened to diesel cost in the last 15years, doubled after most went over to it and now it's being tagged as the worst pollutant, road tax hikes coming there I'd think.

I suspect they will simply lump tax onto electricity per kWh, and shaft everyone if they drive or not.

Yep the greenies will love the new nuclear power stations coming to a field near them soon (factor in the population increase by 2040 too and the suppy will be woefully short).

The sheiks won't to be too fussed I wouldn't think but what could be interesting to see now (in the short term) is if they start to cut back oil production to get prices going again.

:thumb:

Hi guys,

My opinion is that new cars are quite boring and linear nowadays.
The fun is seeping away through the cross platforms chassis's and build quality has worsened.
Manual cars are now reserved for the special models, like its special. Shame.

1. Where and how are these batteries going to be disposed of when they run out, which they will after some time? Can't go to a landfill.

2. The cost is huge. Will the only option available be part exchange?

Sad times ahead.

Vinny

It's all crap basically going forwards......

The only good thing I can see coming from it is us being able to tell the arabs where to go, when we dont need the oil, but we will probably be colonised by then anyway.....

And of course we will still be being taxed, the issue wont be pollution, but a lack of room on the roads.

MisterCorn said:
The way that car design is going the cars are all becoming hybrid, everything on them is becoming more contrived and artificial (exhaust noises through the stereo, over engineered gear shifts), it is probably the natural way things will go anyway. Power delivery is becoming much more linear and dull, you don't have to drive a car in the way you used to. Some people don't even like a manual gearbox any more.
So long as the plans for power generation and energy storage are done alongside it then it should be OK from a transport point of view. Given how battery power is moving forwards now there will always be the potential to make the cars faster / different in the same way that there is now, although how much will actually be achievable due to the different technologies involved is anybody's guess.
It will be interesting to see what the last of the petrol engine cars will be like, will the companies want to go out on one last great triumph or will the legislation on everything have been tightened up so that they just can't make anything that isn't a turbocharged petrol electric hybrid by then anyway?
I do feel very privileged that I have lived and owned cars in what seems to me at least to be a fantastic time for car design and performance. I have witnessed the ongoing development of the petrol engine to what almost became an art form before it got gradually corrupted by the tree huggers and bean counters.
The sale of new petrol cars is being banned, but I assume it will be another 20-30 years before they are mainly gone from the roads. Given then I will be just about to turn 70 by the time the ban is introduced, the ban in itself doesn't concern me greatly and to be honest I can see that all of the car manufacturers have already started on the slippery slop to get there anyway.

MC

:thumb:

Given I will be of a similar age I will have an electric car, but it will be one of those 8 bhp jobbies :thumb:

Might have to get myself one of those trash powered De Loreans from Doc Brown to outsmart this biff government!

Speaking of Back to the Future, what about nuclear powered cars as an alternative to electric??

No charging up, as clean as a whistle... There may be some safety concerns, particularly if you crashed one at a decent speed..... nothing that can't be pushed through parliament with a big enough bung though... :dont know:

ragpicker said:
Speaking of Back to the Future, what about nuclear powered cars as an alternative to electric??

No charging up, as clean as a whistle... There may be some safety concerns, particularly if you crashed one at a decent speed..... nothing that can't be pushed through parliament with a big enough bung though... :dont know:

My thoughts exactly ragpicker. Easy, oil a few Politicians palms and job done! Traffic Wombles will need to be issued with Geiger counters and anti radiation suits but it'll be a small price to pay for endless 'free' miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back