Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Current 997.2 GT3s

9005rm

Hi all,

Noob here, be gentle!

I'm looking into buying a 997.2 GT3. JZM, Hexagon and 911V all seem to have cars.

The 911V car seems high mileage, but the JZM and Hexagon cars are lower mileage, but as you would expect more expensive.

Can anyone give me a view on these cars? Which is the better buy? I'd only do 4,000 miles a year.

All comments welcome.

Thanks!

Depending on use but in an investors market a low mileage club sport is king but if you want a car to use then a higher mileage car can be a bargain in relative terms.
If you go the higher mileage route then check for recent spend by previous owners on big ticket items as the bills can rack up even on such a well built reliable car.

If you are expecting to keep it for a while and put 4k a year on it then my advice would be to buy a higher mileage one as that way you will not be driving value out of it. If you buy a low mileage car at a premium and then use it you are spending that premium on more expensive motoring. If you are only going to keep it or a year or two then something more collectible might make sense but think about whether you are going to push it over any thresholds likely to affect values in your ownership (5k, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k miles etc...).

Basically I reckon that it is only worth paying a collector premium if you are an actual collector and you aren't really going to use it much.

That's all good advice, thanks guys.

In the past I have tended not to keep cars for too long, though my intention here is to try and keep it for longer than usual for me so a higher mileage may not be such an issue over time.

I think I will go and look at a few and make a judgment based also on condition. I do like the look of the silver JZM car though...

Personally, if I was looking for a GT3, I'd be looking for a relatively high mileage car, as that would ensure I would actually use it! The danger with buying low mileage cars is you'll invariably feel the need to maintain the low mileage and it'll just become a trophy. Fine if that's what you want... :bandit:

The silver one at JZM looks really nice and well priced in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother with the blue comfort spec one at Hexagon, I looked at this when it was being sold privately a month or so ago for about £15k less and felt it was over priced then based on condition and spec.

Good luck though, they are as good as everyone says!!

The silver JZM car is a lovely looking car but it's also top money for a Comfort Spec car....997.2 GT3 prices have just taken a little up tick recently. JZM have sold a couple of good spec CS cars in hours for around the £120k mark and Hexagon have got a couple of cars and pushed prices up a bit, not the first time they've done that.

Silver JZM car is an unusual and very high spec car. PCCB's are rare and buckets are rare to see both on a Comfort Spec car is very very rare indeed! Big money for a Comfort but I reckon it'll sell. Main thing to check would be the condition of the PCCB's. Personally I'd be happy buying from any of 911V, JZM and RPM as all seem to see a lot of these cars.

If you want a CS car which is more desirable a lot of people won't want PCCB's so that silver car is really the ultimate road spec. Buckets are an absolute must have and very expensive to retrofit.

All that said with customer deliveries of the 991.2 starting next month there should be more cars on the market in the next few months.

Cheib said:
All that said with customer deliveries of the 991.2 starting next month there should be more cars on the market in the next few months.

I am not sure that the logic in that holds. The only people getting 991.2 GT3s seem to be prolific buyers of the latest and greatest - I don't see many people coming out of 997.2s into them. The market probably will see even greater numbers of 991.1s and Turbos I would expect, but if there are people with an allocation for the new car coming from a 997 then they will not be many?

Roro said:
Personally, if I was looking for a GT3, I'd be looking for a relatively high mileage car, as that would ensure I would actually use it! The danger with buying low mileage cars is you'll invariably feel the need to maintain the low mileage and it'll just become a trophy. Fine if that's what you want... :bandit:
Good point. Also, talking purely non-RS cars, with gearbox changes between the .1 and .2 cars, do others think a 997.1 3.6 GT3 be a better driver's car than the 997.2 3.8?

Disco said:
Cheib said:

I am not sure that the logic in that holds. The only people getting 991.2 GT3s seem to be prolific buyers of the latest and greatest - I don't see many people coming out of 997.2s into them. The market probably will see even greater numbers of 991.1s and Turbos I would expect, but if there are people with an allocation for the new car coming from a 997 then they will not be many?

It's impossible to say and likely there will be a lot more 991.1 GT3's around because of the new car but there may well be people that move from a 997.2 GT3 to a manual 991./2 GT3 because the .1 didn't have a manual box ?

Diggermeister said:
Roro said:
Good point. Also, talking purely non-RS cars, with gearbox changes between the .1 and .2 cars, do others think a 997.1 3.6 GT3 be a better driver's car than the 997.2 3.8?

What do you mean by gearbox changes between .1 & .2 cars :?:

Do you mean between 991.1 and 991.2?

Or do you mean between 997.1 and 997.2?

The latter 2 have the same gearbox from what I gather from asking a similar question on the forum a while ago

As for which is the better drivers car, I'd have to say the 7.1, and I'm sure Colin would say the 7.2 :grin:

Most who've driven both would probably say the latter due to the extra torque although not sure there's much else in it except maybe improved TC

Diggermeister said:
Also, talking purely non-RS cars, with gearbox changes between the .1 and .2 cars, do others think a 997.1 3.6 GT3 be a better driver's car than the 997.2 3.8?

There were gearbox changes between the .1 and .2 on the 996 (synchros and cooling), but nothing noteworthy on the 997 other than the gen 2 RS (shorter effective ratios).

As for the better drivers car - if you are wringing its neck with the technology turned off and the suspension has been fettled by someone like CG then there isn't a lot in it to be honest. However out of the box the gen 2 has a slightly better suspension setup (more positive turn in) and as a normal use road car the appreciably more linear torque delivery of the gen 2 3.8 is tangibly nicer to live with day to day than the slightly spikier nature of the earlier 3.6. On track that also occasionally translates to not having to make an extra down change into 2nd to avoid falling off the cam on the 3.6.

If you want the more rounded package then the 997.2 GT3 really is the apex car. If you want raw then actually the 996 (no PASM, more aggressive differential, no traction or stability) is the one to go for. The 997.1 is (out of the box) a happy medium but if you are looking for an optimum then either of the cars either side might generally be considered more ideal. If you are open to a few choice modifications though - seriously - you can pick any of them and you are going to be very, very happy, but if stock is your thing then the 997.2 is the one to have. :thumb:

I see the 911v car has sold, though that was a chunk less expensive (but with higher miles) than the Hexagon and JZM cars.

Surely it's getting late in the year and the pricing has got a bit toppy for non-OPC cars?

What's the view on where these are going pricewise? All are £117k and upwards. The non-club sport cars look especially expensive, and presumably more difficult come resale?

I believe that the red 7.2 at JZM is my old car ....I was the second owner......what a car .........

Special , very special .......!!

Kind of wish I still had it ......!!

not forgetting that a fair few 991.1 GT3 Owners have reached the end of their lease / finance terms are will be looking to change, enough are moving straight onto a 991.2 GT3 or cashing out their equity to other marques

so expect a few more 991.1 GT3's on the market

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back