Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen 2 key anyone?

thomasario

Hi folks

I've a 997 C2S gen1. The lock/unlock button has just broken and fallen out of my key fob.

I bought the key repair kit only to find the OPC I bought the car from a coupl of years back had given me a set of Gen 2 keys (i.e. the black/chrome one not the grey two-tone that falls to bits).

Sadly, although the buttons look exactly the same in the repair kit they are slightly different and don't fit :(

So does anyone have a spare (even broken as long as the tiny lock/unlock bit isn't) I could buy?

Looked on eBay and loads of Gen1 but no Gen II (or Boxter/Cayman, I think they are all the same key).

Cheers

Tom

Is it the actual button or the micto switch on the circuit board that's broken?

Assuming the former swap your circuit board, transponder and blade into the gen2 key

The problem with shopping key internals is there's a diode in the key thats part of the immobiliser
You can swop the circuit board and the buttons and the key blade
But the casing holds this little diode
If that's the broken part you need a new case that will then need coding at an Opc's

That diode/transponder can also be swapped

Hi folks - thanks for the posts.

It is simply (and that's what's so annoying) the plastic button itself. This is a single piece of plastic which pivots inside the key when you lock/unlock.

So - I don't need a new key, I don't need it recoding, it all still works. It's just this single piece of plastic has snapped (and I don't have the bits so I can't even bodge it back together).

The Gen I key repair kit has this bit of plastic - but as I say, whilst it looks virtually identical it isn't and it doesn't fit.

And from what I can see there isn't a GenII key repair kit.

Loads of GenI keys on eBay. Not a sniff of a GenII :D

That's why I wondered if anyone had a broken key that I could buy - as long as that tiny button is intact that's all I need - I can do a 30 second transplant operation :)

Cheers, Tom.

resurrection of an old thread here - but I just had the same.

Main dealer just told me its a new fob at £129, but its literally the plastic lock and unlock button I need - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks Phil - useful as ever - I had looked at those but £50 for a button kit still looks quite dear - especially when I now need 2.

Will someone please remind me not to take the working key apart to see if I can fix the broken one please.......

:sad: :sad: :sad:

160dmb said:
Thanks Phil - useful as ever - I had looked at those but £50 for a button kit still looks quite dear - especially when I now need 2.

Will someone please remind me not to take the working key apart to see if I can fix the broken one please.......

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Ouch that sounds like just the sort of thing I would do :nooo:, maybe send a message and see if you can get a discount for buying Two. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back