Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 Boxster

Here a picture, not the best setting and this was the day I bought it and the seller didn't even wash it. He was a lovely bloke lots of money and it was only used in the summer for 1000 miles a year.

Attachments

• img_6007_200.jpg
    img_6007_200.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 6,556
Thanks for all your help chaps, and to update this thread, I bought the zenith blue one this morning that I linked above!

I know I've paid towards the top end for a 2.5, but it feels tight and has had a fair amount of work done to it recently; (front and rear discs and pads, air con rads replaced, new roof with glass, new lower coffin arms etc.)

It has also been de-ambered, which I don't have a strong feeling either way about to be honest. (I'm actually starting to like the early amber 986 and 996s).

So, I'm sure it isn't going to be anything like as economical to run as the Puma I chopped in for it, but fingers crossed it won't be too expensive to run.

There is a weird whole car vibration between 90 and 100 that I'm hoping may be tyre pressures or a wheel balancing issue though.

One question, does the 2.5 really need to be run on super?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to running this car alongside my 911

:thumbs:

Splendid!

Welcome to the best porsche money can buy! You might not feel it yet but give it time :wink:

They are very sensitive little creatures though and even a slightly out of balance rear wheel can cause whole car vibration. Fronts can do it too but are mainly through the steering wheel.

I think they are supposed to run on 97RON but will accept 95RON if necessary. I wouldnt put it in mine though.

:thumb:

ragpicker said:
They are very sensitive little creatures though and even a slightly out of balance rear wheel can cause whole car vibration. Fronts can do it too but are mainly through the steering wheel.

Very true :thumb:

Thanks guys :thumb:

Checked the tyre pressures last night and predictably they were all over the place. Got them to 2 bar at the front and 2.5 bar at the rear and it felt great around the country lanes to work this morning.

Didn't get a chance to hit the same speeds as yesterday though so will have to wait to see if the vibration was tyre pressures; (although I suspect it's more likely to be a wheel out of balance).

ragpicker, I'm starting to gel with it already, and I'm hoping it's the start of a long term love affair :grin:

Couple of minor observations:

The gear change throw is quite long - is there a short shift kit and does anyone recommend that option?

The clutch also feels reasonably heavy with the biting point fairly high up, so will monitor that.

All in all though, I'm chuffed so far

silvermilnec said:
Here a picture, not the best setting and this was the day I bought it and the seller didn't even wash it. He was a lovely bloke lots of money and it was only used in the summer for 1000 miles a year.

What a bargain this was :thumbs:

davidjf7 said:
Thanks guys :thumb:

Checked the tyre pressures last night and predictably they were all over the place. Got them to 2 bar at the front and 2.5 bar at the rear and it felt great around the country lanes to work this morning.

Didn't get a chance to hit the same speeds as yesterday though so will have to wait to see if the vibration was tyre pressures; (although I suspect it's more likely to be a wheel out of balance).

ragpicker, I'm starting to gel with it already, and I'm hoping it's the start of a long term love affair :grin:

Couple of minor observations:

The gear change throw is quite long - is there a short shift kit and does anyone recommend that option?

The clutch also feels reasonably heavy with the biting point fairly high up, so will monitor that.

All in all though, I'm chuffed so far

my clutch is high and heavy but no slip and is smooth, I'm going to change the assist spring see if that helps. The front as got a massive creak! If I push down on both front wings it creaks like mad lol I'm guna take a look at it next week. Sounds like your enjoying the boxster!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back