Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 for Sale in Scotland - Help needed

coullstar said:
Looked a good one.

Another suggestion for avoiding Aberdeen and a nice little drive is if its Huntly then go Alford - Finzean - Cairn O Mount - Fettercairn then onto A90 which is the main road south from Aberdeen.

OR Huntly - Aboyne - Braemar and down the Glenshee road A93 to Blairgowrie then onto Perth. Great road but depends on how quickly you want to get south.

Id avoid A9 due to average cameras.

I would take the 2nd option there and really get to know your new car .....I also saw the ad and it looked like a good car on the face of it ,had I been at home not on holiday I would have been beating a track along there myself !!

glad it was a positive result for you though ....enjoy !!

Great news :thumbs:

Another to look out for in Bedford. :cheers:

Can we have pics now please :sad:

:thumb:

Rs8W4HYL

Greggy said:

Hi You bought Richard's 996.

Lovely car that.

Enjoy

James

Quick update on this. I did indeed fly up to Scotland and buy the car :) . It lived up to expectations and was beautifully presented. I've got an A4 ring binder with a stack of receipts, stamped service book and all the original handbooks in their wallet. Richard the seller was a thoroughly nice bloke and was very patient with my string of questions both on the day and in the lead up to my purchase.

Slightly embarrassing situation with my internet banking app and Santander were completely inept in sorting out the problem until I lost my patience with them and gave them a good blasting down the phone. I had even phoned them earlier in the day explaining what my intentions were. :gunfire: Thankfully Richard was very understanding and the best part of 3 hrs later the funds had FINALLY cleared and I was on my way. stopping off on the southern side of Aberdeen for the night.

Set off about 7.30 Sat morning for the long drive home. The roads were pretty much deserted until I got to Edinburgh, so a great way to become accustomed to the car 8) . I love the driving position and the visibility from the cockpit. The way the 'A' pillars curve where they meet the dash to maximise your view through a bend. The solidity of the controls, weighty but not hefty, definitely an active rather than passive driving experience but I love that. The induction roar and the change in engine note when you give it the beans - oh my! Not sure why I'm rabbiting on about this really as I guess I'm preaching to the converted. :oops:

One thing that has taken some getting used to is the short-shift kit and there's been a few occasions when changing up from second I've "brushed" (ahem) first rather than slotting into third. I'm getting better but do have to consciously think about it. I've got the stand linkage too so could swap back if I wanted to.

Hit a bit of traffic around Edinburgh and again at Newcastle but most of the journey was fine, aside from the rain. Arrived home safe and sound just after 4pm. Despite my anxiety the car decided not to grenade itself on the way back and I'm a happy man! :D

Only minor mishap was I decided to give it a wash Sunday morning. Whilst drying the back end I managed to dislodge the "4" from the "Carrera 4" badge :roll: . Judging by the sticky pads on the back I suspect its come off before. Unfortunately in doing so the edge of the badge has put a faint scratch across the rear panel :nooo: I had some Meguiars Scratch X in the garage a gave that a quick go but whilst improved I can still see it. Could anyone else suggest an alternative? Should I try a succession of polish cycles to see if that improves it? I'm always a bit wary with "T Cut" type products as I don't want to make matters worse.

I was planning on cutting down a number plate adhesive pad to re-stick the badge as I thought glue could get a bit messy. Also any suggestion as to how to position it correctly? Once I've removed the remains of the old sticky pad I wont have a point of reference. On that subject what's the best way of removing the gluey mess? Applying a small amount of heat and a gentle peel?

Ok my last question for now and to try and bring it back to the original thread. How do I upload photos to my post rather than the thumbsnap link I posted? As Photobucket have lost the plot what the best hosting option? I can then add a few more pics of the car :thumb:

Thanks guys for the suggestion of Ricky Gauld. I've not had the pleasure of meeting him in person but the email he sent me and my subsequent conversation with him proved to be most worthwhile, so it was money well spent :thumbs:

Nice one Greggy glad it all worked out. I use faststone photo resizer to reduce my pictures then upload to 911uk :thumb:

Yep good result Greggy. Glad it all worked out.
Same thing happened to me when I went to collect my 996 from Scotland. Internet banking wouldn't do transfer, hence an hour of irate phone calls etc.

Re the badge, measure where it is before you remove glue. Maybe run a line of masking tape under the Carrera part and continue it along to the 4. Mark the tape where the 4 goes.

You could wet and dry the scratch out I'm sure, then buff it up but if you aren't confident I'd pop into a local detailer and see if they'll help.

To get the sticky backing off use a hairdryer or heat gun or very hot water from the kettle. Then wd40 or tardis to get glue off. Even white spirits used very carefully and rinsed well afterwards will be ok.

All I would add is that the badges are only really good for using once. As you've seen, the backing material isn't reusable.
I always just fit a new badge but you can faff about with double sided foam pads/tape and get ok results if you're patient. It's hard to get the exact shape of the script though.

Anyway it's all good fun tinkering and perfecting things and as your confidence grows you'll find yourself doing more and more.

Have fun and enjoy the new car!

:thumb:

PS I now use Postimage.org for pic hosting since Photobucket has just ruined years of car and house renovation threads for me. :pc:

Ricky Gauld is one of these guys that have been around for a long time with a good reputation.

No money spent on advertising, just word of mouth. Used to prepare a lot of race/rally cars, but I think his specialty was always Hillman Imps, or anything that ran with a Coventry Climax engine. So he's used to rear engined at least.
:D

First time I used him he was just doing some final adjustments on a rally prepared Lotus Sunbeam, once it was done the owner booted it sideways right from the garage and as far as I could see around the corner leading from it.
Sticks in my memory.

Anyway, glad to hear it's a good car, and I hope it treats you well.

[url=https://postimage.org]
IMG_6229.jpg
[/url]

H'mm, working out how to use postulate but here's a few pics

That looks lovely! 8)

Same colour as my car. I can't wait to get my Aerokit on.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back