Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Switch not illuminating

Im not sure the swich is supposed to light up. I recall reading on Rennlist it was something to do with reflections at night. Certainly like this on the 964 so I doubt the 993 is any different.

Having read an earlier post on this subject I checked my switch and it didn't illuminate. The bulb had expired.

I changed it for one I had in the garage and it worked but I think the ignition and/or lights must be 'on' for it to work.

Try the different combinations of ignition and switch positions.

ras62 said:
Im not sure the swich is supposed to light up. I recall reading on Rennlist it was something to do with reflections at night. Certainly like this on the 964 so I doubt the 993 is any different.

So what would be the purpose of the bulb within the switch? :?

Les Richards" said:
I changed it for one I had in the garage and it worked but I think the ignition and/or lights must be 'on' for it to work.

My switch is illuminated when the ignition is on but the lights don't need to be on.

Lighting switch

Here are a couple of pics. ON with ignition switched on, OFF with ignition switched off, irrespective whether the lights being on or off.

Attachments

• img_3193_125.jpg
    img_3193_125.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 5,659
  • img_3192_182.jpg
    img_3192_182.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 5,659
Thanks for the photos, I knew that it must light up, but having changed the bulb for a Halfords 286 and having just checked it again, still no joy😞
Now waiting for the Osram 2721 in the slim hope that it will make the difference.

The contacts of the bulb are flimsy and flexible so make sure they are properly aligned.

Similarly the contacts in the socket are small and prone to surface corrosion so get in there with a torch, magnifying glass, cotton wool buds dipped in electrical contact cleaner or even a thin strip of fine abrasive paper (no coarser than 1000 grit) folded to give it a bit of purchase. If you can find a multimeter with fine probes check for 12volts across the socket.

Clearly no man's life feels complete without an illuminated dash light switch so keep trying.

Kerb Scaper, I had tried to work the contacts on the bulb into a more bow shaped form, so that they might make better contact. But I have not tried working on the socket contacts, it looked far to tight to get in there. If the new bulb doesn't work that will be my next step.

I don't intend to be defeated by this!

Well mine does not light up :x Until I read this post I didn't know it was supposed to, I just love this forum. My front and rear fog light and heated wing mirror switches all light up but not the headlight. I may just leave it as is or investigate further. :dont know:

I did a search and this topic came up in 2008:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=410511&sid=94236b7246a4866015d5ffda84891ca1

Some more info for those who are interested.

ATB :)

Bulb replaced and all now in working order :D 2 Bosch bulbs for €1.95, I used the plastic lever you get with a tablet battery replacement kit so no damage to the little cover. Bulb pulled straight out with a pair of tweezers and the new one just pushed back in :D

ATB :)

Further to this comment posted in 2008

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:00 pm    
Post subject:
Just checked in the original porsche catalogue: no difference mentioned between later or earlier 993 models nor LHD or RHD.

The part number is 964 632 113 01 (ignition starter illumination), 900 631 132 90 for the bulb and 999 632 014 00 for the bulb holder.......

and costs less than a quid...
cheers

martin

There appears to be a space cut-out in the dash above the ignition switch...wonder if it is/was intended to fit these parts? Just wondering, that's all. Would need to remove the piece of the dash covering over the cut-out, though.

The parts are shown on the Porsche PET so it must be correct.

A check in the Bentley wiring diagrams could be interesting; the wires may already be there. Now there's a thought. :)

Switch illumination

Yes I noticed the cut out just above the ignition switch where a small light would be located, not sure how to wire in as it has to illuminate when the ignition is turned on and go out when the car is started.
It seems much easier to replace the key battery, assuming you have a key with a light built in.

Switch illumination

Yes I noticed the cut out just above the ignition switch where a small light would be located, not sure how to wire in as it has to illuminate when the ignition is turned on and go out when the car is started.
It seems much easier to replace the key battery, assuming you have a key with a light built in.

OK I think it is definitely down to the bulb. I have tried several 286 bulbs and thought I had cracked it recently, when I went to back the car out of the garage...it came on, however by the time I got to the bottom of the drive it went out again, and no matter what I did it wouldn't work again.
So at long last I received my "Osram 2721" which went in and worked straight off. So I believe the Headlight switch needs that specific bulb to work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back