Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT2RS Build... (Update - Dec 2022)

I've emailed Tech9 again and asked what his advice is regarding the Ohlins. Highest priority for me is the axle lift, so if it fits the Ohlins then it might be a way to go. I just don't want a crashy ride.

Turbojim997 said:
I spoke to 9e when doing mine (tried to get prices and fitting but gave up as they never got back to me) and they said the opposite at the time.

Be interesting to get a group of cars together and run them back to back to do a proper comparison.

That will probably be best, are you running the Ohlins setup?

isysman said:
I've emailed Tech9 again and asked what his advice is regarding the Ohlins. Highest priority for me is the axle lift, so if it fits the Ohlins then it might be a way to go. I just don't want a crashy ride.

Be interesting to find out. The R&T uses the standard top mounts so wonder how that fits with the techart stuff? Do the bilstein use custom top mounts or can you use the OEM ones too?

Turbojim997 said:
isysman said:

Be interesting to find out. The R&T uses the standard top mounts so wonder how that fits with the techart stuff? Do the bilstein use custom top mounts or can you use the OEM ones too?

I bought GT2RS top mounts to fit with my new equipment so I hope it all works together. Phil said the Ohlins are up there with another Moton/AST (never heard of them) as his recommended for non-PASM equipment.

isysman said:
I bought GT2RS top mounts to fit with my new equipment so I hope it all works together. Phil said the Ohlins are up there with another Moton/AST (never heard of them) as his recommended for non-PASM equipment.

Ohlins are defo better than the Bilsteins bud and by quiet some margin, they will be the more comfortable ride as well for sure... I don't have them fitted....... yet! :D but the other ES cars do and are their recommended strut. I'm not sure on the front lift kit compatability though, you'll have to check with that...

AdeD said:
isysman said:

Ohlins are defo better than the Bilsteins bud and by quiet some margin, they will be the more comfortable ride as well for sure... I don't have them fitted....... yet! :D but the other ES cars do and are their recommended strut. I'm not sure on the front lift kit compatability though, you'll have to check with that...

Phil said he's got lots of emails in so he should have something tomorrow. I really want to keep the PASM feature but I'll wait to see what he comes up with.

AdeD said:
isysman said:

Unless the situation has changed, be aware that AST in this country is pretty much a one man band. After sales was sporadic to say the least, and the product they developed for my RS4 was fundamentally flawed..I wouldn't personally touch them again.

Graemep said:
AdeD said:
isysman said:

Unless the situation has changed, be aware that AST in this country is pretty much a one man band. After sales was sporadic to say the least, and the product they developed for my RS4 was fundamentally flawed..I wouldn't personally touch them again.

Thanks for the info. I've no intention of going with them as I've never heard of them. I want the Damptronics but I'll consider the Ohlins if they are compatible with the axle lift.

I have no experience of à–hlins on cars but if they are even half as good as their bike kit then personally I would not even consider using anything else. I have à–hlins front and rear on my Ducati, the quality is off the scale and the ride/handling is stunning, not cheap though at £5k :eek: I'm very surprised how reasonably priced the R&T are for the 997! Shame they don't do an active set up to work with PASM but I'm saving my pennies anyway!

Saw you bucket seats at Linas workshop last week.

Has the leather surround and alcantara inserts been previously recovered as they don't look like OEM factory finish?

Bikeracer1098 said:

Has the leather surround and alcantara inserts been previously recovered as they don't look like OEM factory finish?

Yeah they are covers I bought to cover them as they had leather. They don't fit very well so I asked Linas to have a look at them.

isysman said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

Yeah they are covers I bought to cover them as they had leather. They don't fit very well so I asked Linas to have a look at them.

They will look absolutely fantastic once Linas has sprinkled some magic dust on them. :thumb:

Bikeracer1098 said:
isysman said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

They will look absolutely fantastic once Linas has sprinkled some magic dust on them. :thumb:

Yeah I'm excited to see them. Especially after the disappointment of being let down by TechArt for my Suspension kit. I need some good news.

apollokre1d said:
Turbojim997 said:
apollokre1d said:
AdeD said:
Probably a blessing, order a set of Ohlins instead, far superior :D

Interesting, everyone i spoke to has said the opposite, how are they superior?

Who is everyone you have spoken to? Are the track dayers or road drivers? Never heard a bad word about the R&T's.

For fast road passive setups most people I know (who have turbos) have gone Ohlins route. PASM is such a joke in this country, to be fair not tried the DSC box but have read plenty of reviews which says it helps but still not as good as a passive set up.

Ohlins are far superior as a road based set up. Having looked at the options when doing mine the build quality alone is far better than the billies. No doubt KW and Bilstein are fantastic products but just too track focused.

A couple other people who have them fitted and 9e recommend them. One was a road user but the other does track his turbo.
Also I have the TPC module so PASM is not a concern.

What I recommend is based on what someone wants to use the car for. For people to say that Ohlins is better than Bilstein or KW is too broad a statement. On what basis? Have they been set up correctly? How can you tell? Unless you have driven the same car with the same set up over the same test it is difficult. One is active and one isn't. With 20 way adjustment you can make the car ride no different to stock, or as firm as you want. I had someone who wanted to remove KW because they were too firm - actually that was true because whoever set it up put it on maximum settings - 5 minute change and he no longer wanted them removed.

We fit both Ohlins and Bilstein. A while back I would have said Ohlins would have been the better damper.

And then DSC came along....

In general non active suspension has been the go to solution if you are focused on track. Nowadays that gap has closed (including other marques who mostly are active), and actually the DSC gets you to 95% alone in my experience both on fast road and track. The DSC module makes the most impact starting on the 997 model, but still makes a difference on 991GT3RS for example.

If you have PASM, and stick with it, then the cheapest upgrade is the DSC module. Afterwards B16 Damptronics are the logic step if you want to have a better damper and ride height adjustability. What kills a cars handling, which we see on lots of turbos, is lower springs, yet everyone seems to want to fit them. So fitting a proper adjustable damper resolves this.

We fit Ohlins on multiple Porsche (either pre PASM models or PASM). Pre DSC, Ohlins would be the go to solution when a customer will predominately spend time on multiple track days during the year - this assumes that the customer also understands how to adjust themselves for different tracks, what the impact is of changing the rates etc.

The one thing that Ohlins seems to be better at is longevity in terms of corrosion when compared to others. There is definitely a benefit there. And the price of Ohlins is certainly cheaper now than a few years ago, and their R&T is a great damper for the money.

Finally any damper poorly set up will render its benefits useless. If you put a race car driver like the one we have access to on track in PASM/DSC and then Ohlins R&T (with same set up) there will be nothing in it.

Ken

996ttalot said:
apollokre1d said:
Turbojim997 said:
apollokre1d said:
AdeD said:
Probably a blessing, order a set of Ohlins instead, far superior :D

Interesting, everyone i spoke to has said the opposite, how are they superior?

Who is everyone you have spoken to? Are the track dayers or road drivers? Never heard a bad word about the R&T's.

For fast road passive setups most people I know (who have turbos) have gone Ohlins route. PASM is such a joke in this country, to be fair not tried the DSC box but have read plenty of reviews which says it helps but still not as good as a passive set up.

Ohlins are far superior as a road based set up. Having looked at the options when doing mine the build quality alone is far better than the billies. No doubt KW and Bilstein are fantastic products but just too track focused.

A couple other people who have them fitted and 9e recommend them. One was a road user but the other does track his turbo.
Also I have the TPC module so PASM is not a concern.

What I recommend is based on what someone wants to use the car for. For people to say that Ohlins is better than Bilstein or KW is too broad a statement. On what basis? Have they been set up correctly? How can you tell? Unless you have driven the same car with the same set up over the same test it is difficult. One is active and one isn't. With 20 way adjustment you can make the car ride no different to stock, or as firm as you want. I had someone who wanted to remove KW because they were too firm - actually that was true because whoever set it up put it on maximum settings - 5 minute change and he no longer wanted them removed.

We fit both Ohlins and Bilstein. A while back I would have said Ohlins would have been the better damper.

And then DSC came along....

In general non active suspension has been the go to solution if you are focused on track. Nowadays that gap has closed (including other marques who mostly are active), and actually the DSC gets you to 95% alone in my experience both on fast road and track. The DSC module makes the most impact starting on the 997 model, but still makes a difference on 991GT3RS for example.

If you have PASM, and stick with it, then the cheapest upgrade is the DSC module. Afterwards B16 Damptronics are the logic step if you want to have a better damper and ride height adjustability. What kills a cars handling, which we see on lots of turbos, is lower springs, yet everyone seems to want to fit them. So fitting a proper adjustable damper resolves this.

We fit Ohlins on multiple Porsche (either pre PASM models or PASM). Pre DSC, Ohlins would be the go to solution when a customer will predominately spend time on multiple track days during the year - this assumes that the customer also understands how to adjust themselves for different tracks, what the impact is of changing the rates etc.

The one thing that Ohlins seems to be better at is longevity in terms of corrosion when compared to others. There is definitely a benefit there. And the price of Ohlins is certainly cheaper now than a few years ago, and their R&T is a great damper for the money.

Finally any damper poorly set up will render its benefits useless. If you put a race car driver like the one we have access to on track in PASM/DSC and then Ohlins R&T (with same set up) there will be nothing in it.

Ken

:?

Confused.com

Had a quote for Tractive kit plus DSC plus axle lift today and it was over ten grand!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back