Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Changing for 997.1 ----------------------

-- 997 --

Ok, i havent carried out an oil servkce on a porsche 997.1 or even any but many on other cars, so stupid question to ask how easy is it and can someone give a step by step guide cos i dont want to screw up, like the amount of oil to pour in and then then start the car afew seconds to fill oil filter etc.

Is it easy on these cars???

Also torque settings for oil fi!ter cover and sump plug!

cheers.

J

J, They hold about 10ltr but you will only be able to drain about 8.5 lts out. So buy 10ltrs and fill to about 8 then see whats needed some most will take between 8.5 and 9 ltrs.

Ideally you would be changing to Millers nano oil 10w50 best price is opie oil using a club discount or on of there promo discounts.

checking the level is done engine off on a gen 1

you will need to get info from others on the torques etc. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
J, They hold about 10ltr but you will only be able to drain about 8.5 lts out. So buy 10ltrs and fill to about 8 then see whats needed some most will take between 8.5 and 9 ltrs.

Ideally you would be changing to Millers nano oil 10w50 best price is opie oil using a club discount or on of there promo discounts.

Hi phil, as ive done my first 500 miles since rebuild ive used Castrol Magnatec to run the engine in.now need to change oil to the same type oil as i can get the Magnatec for free cos i have a company car and can take the advatage of for further 1000 miles then oil change again then it will be the Millers! Or what do you think?

cheers for your replies, i have a carrera, mezger engine is another world i guess !!

j

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi phil, as ive done my first 500 miles since rebuild ive used Castrol Magnatec to run the engine in.now need to change oil to the same type oil as i can get the Magnatec for free cos i have a company car and can take the advatage of for further 1000 miles then oil change again then it will be the Millers! Or what do you think?

cheers for your replies, i have a carrera, mezger engine is another world i guess !!

j

J, If dont know magnatec oil mate so cant comment on its viscosity, but if you only plan to do 1000 miles before changing it again then I really cant imagine there's a problem, during the next 1000 miles keep an eye on the opie oil website register for emails as they frequently run 10% and sometimes 15% off promos with free delivery, that's the time to grab it. :thumb:

Sump plug torque .. 37 lb ft
Filter houseing ... 19 lb ft

I would fill it with 7 ltrs then run up to warm then top up to be on the safe side .

Min drain time of 20 mins .

Attachments

• oil_1_162.jpg
    oil_1_162.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 3,858
Demort said:
Sump plug torque .. 37 lb ft
Filter houseing ... 19 lb ft

I would fill it with 7 ltrs then run up to warm then top up to be on the safe side .

Min drain time of 20 mins .

Hi demort, once ive taken the car for a drive around to warm up oil, then drain and let every drop of oil possible out :lol: , change filter then new oil in, once done that when turn the ignition to see the level. Would the levell be acurate or would as you say need to start car, or should i drive up the road and back then double check, on any other car im fine but as for first time changing oil i dont wanna mess up any way etc is why im being cautious. After 1000 miles im going Millers all the way.. :)

Cheers

J

Once you have drained the oil and as you are going to leave it draining for a while then i would suggest putting 7.5 ltrs of oil in it then starting and let it warm up to temp .. 90 degrees on the oil , turn off ignition turn on and you will get a 5 min count down .. if 10 then run it some more untill you get 5 min .. turn off ign and wait 5 min .. turn on and let it read the lvl .. each segment is approx 0.4 of a ltr .

Its important not to over fill it rather than leave it down on oil so fill a bit at a time .

As you get used to this then you will put more in each time as you know roughly what is needed .

if it ends up over filled then the best way is to undo the oil filter and drain it out then recheck the lvl .. trying to drain a bit out of the sump plug with a hot engine will just burn your fingers , you will drop the sump plug and end up with 8 ltrs of hot oil running every where ..

You can ask how i know this .. but i think its pretty obvious :D

Demort.... :worship:

:floor:

Demort said:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Been there, done that also! :sad:

Demort said:
Once you have drained the oil and as you are going to leave it draining for a while then i would suggest putting 7.5 ltrs of oil in it then starting and let it warm up to temp .. 90 degrees on the oil , turn off ignition turn on and you will get a 5 min count down .. if 10 then run it some more untill you get 5 min .. turn off ign and wait 5 min .. turn on and let it read the lvl .. each segment is approx 0.4 of a ltr .

Its important not to over fill it rather than leave it down on oil so fill a bit at a time .

As you get used to this then you will put more in each time as you know roughly what is needed .

if it ends up over filled then the best way is to undo the oil filter and drain it out then recheck the lvl .. trying to drain a bit out of the sump plug with a hot engine will just burn your fingers , you will drop the sump plug and end up with 8 ltrs of hot oil running every where ..

Thanks Demort hopefully weekend should be dry to carry out an oil change, so you wanna tell us about your experience with the hot 8 Ltrs of oil everywhere? What happend? :)

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Thanks Demort hopefully weekend should be dry to carry out an oil change, so you wanna tell us about your experience with the hot 8 Ltrs of oil everywhere? What happend? :)

Cheers

J

Well now .. thats a story lol ..

Its not really about the 997 its more about the latest cars from 991 onwards , it takes 0.3 ltr or higher and they flag up an overfill message the display also caught out a number of people when they first came out .

So we started getting cars in with oil lvl gauge fault customer has added " 1/2 ltr " .. funny thing was .. it was never 1/2 ltr .. it was always more .. still i digress ..

The service advisors , god bless them figured it would be a quick and easy job so could be done as a waiting job .

I get one , customer has just driven to us so obviously its hot .. yeah .. er .. red hot as it was 90 degrees .

I grab a 5 ltr jug and figure ill drain out 2 ltrs and then if it is only 1/2 ltr i can refill to the correct lvl .

Allen key in a socket , crack off the sump bung and use the socket to undo .. ready with the jug so tilt the sump bung to drain the oil ..

all well and good so far but its starting to get a bit warm , some of the oil has run down onto my fingers .. ok time to stop as this is starting to hurt and ive only got about 1 ltr out so far so i try to wind the bung back in ..

well by this point ive got oil on my fingers .. anyone tryed to trurn a socket when your covered in oil ? .. yup it slips .. and it gets hotter .. and it slips and i cant get it to wind back in then i just cant hold it any more ..

Oil is now filling up the " 5 LTR " jug pretty dam quick .. erm .. theres about 7-8 ltrs about to come out .. now i did try screaming .. i did shout for help .. i think at the time i even prayed a bit ..

But unfortunatly i now have a hot jug filled to the brim which is burning my other hand and the oil is still coming ..

I think in hindsite i should have just backed away with 5 ltrs in the jug and run for another jug .. But Nooo i had to stand there like a lemon whilst everyone watched on laughing as i then dropped the jug as well !

You REALLY should try chucking 5 ltrs of oil on a tiled surface and see just how far it will spread .. not to mention the water fall of oil hitting the floor from 7 ft up that was still comeing out !! .. i was covered .. the floor .. well it spread under the ramps each side of me and onto the next ones .

I can say though that they stopped doing them as waiting jobs and told the customer they had to cool down first .. bit late by then :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back