Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

gearbox rebuild

wozy said:
Ref the 'bang' someone is getting whilst changing gear, I'd say that was a DMF on the way out rather than a gearbox issue ..... loits of 993s suffer from this. :thumb:

Thanks for that interesting suggestion wozy. OK, I'll admit that I had to go and look-up DMF.... :oops: . I'm surprised that my indy didn't float that as a possible cause of the issue.

Unless it fails completely is it something that would only make sense to change when fitting a new clutch?

Has anyone else suffered from the 'bang' between gear changes and solved it with a change of the flywheel?

future said:
http://www.sportsandclassic.com/index.php?page=services_gearbox_rebuilds

... end of. Give them a call :thumb:

I received the same advice when I had problems with second gear changes when I first bought my car. Phoned these people up (even though I'm not local), discussed over the phone and their recommendation was change to C4 engine mounts initially. This definitely improved the change. I subsequently installed a short shift kit and I think this has also helped. Well worth a phone call - even though it would be a pain logistically for me due to distance I'd strongly consider getting my gear box to these people if it did actually need a rebuild.

madge said:
wozy said:
Ref the 'bang' someone is getting whilst changing gear, I'd say that was a DMF on the way out rather than a gearbox issue ..... loits of 993s suffer from this. :thumb:

Thanks for that interesting suggestion wozy. OK, I'll admit that I had to go and look-up DMF.... :oops: . I'm surprised that my indy didn't float that as a possible cause of the issue.

Unless it fails completely is it something that would only make sense to change when fitting a new clutch?

Has anyone else suffered from the 'bang' between gear changes and solved it with a change of the flywheel?

A couple of indies didn't pick up on it for me either. Took it to autofarm and they diagnosed it within driving the car 30 seconds. I've had mixed replies whether I should replace it, one said I should asap, the other who is a far more a practical kind of fella (and loves aircooled) said that he believed it ok to leave as is until clutch change. So far I've driven 30k miles with it like it is. Mind you it won't be long till I need it done as the car is still on it's original clutch at 140k miles .......
if it is the dmf, then you may as well replace the clutch at the same time, as the transmission will have to come out/dropped anyway.

I had problems with my c2s diff and gearbox which made 1st to 2nd very tricky.

The diff was replaced under warranty and I choose to have a gearbox rebuild and fit RSS engine mounts and a LWF at the same time. A full rebuild wont be cheap. I had all the bearing replaced and new synchro's from reverse to forth. From memory the parts were about 3.5K including flywheel and clutch and I paid about 2K for labour as the dealer did it at cost.

All in it made a huge difference to the car and even with slightly higher viscosity transmission oil after 5 mins it was a lovely box . The upgraded mounts helped the gear change and I loved the LWF the car was much more responsive and it stops chattering at about 2000rpm BUT it is much easier to stall . Even after 5K miles driving and getting reasonably competent at driving it I would still stall occasionally . I have a LWF fitted in my 997 I enjoy it in the 993 that much, it is actually much noisier but the smarter ECU mean it is far less easy to stall thank god lol.

Search for previous posts by me with gearbox in the body and you will see that I've had numerous problems with my 'box over the years. (IMO) you need to talk to 'colt' on here. When I got my car back after a rebuild by him I could not contain the grin spread across my face when I was finally able to go from 1st to 2nd without a double declutch and, even then, a cautious approach.
It was like I'd been given a different car to drive.

People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference. Deep down I knew there would be no improvement, but I was living in denial and trying to avoid the inevitable. Multi-thousand pound bill denial :eek: Gearbox parts aren't cheap, but saying that you may not need as much work as I did. My diff bearings also exploded, but that was a few months previously and that work was carried out by a garage I will never set foot in again. This was all before finding colt and having him save the day and once again make 993 ownership an enjoyable experience.

Picked up my box from Unit 11 after a full rebuild so should now be in rude health :thumb:

My box was damaged via impact down the drive shafts so needed a replacement bell housing which I supplied to them. I must admit I was hoping for simple casing swap out, however when I dropped the box off my hopes were dashed very quickly as turning the drive shaft flanges revealed the main input shaft was slightly bent......oh dear there's much more damage this box than I'd hoped, input shaft from Porsche are circa £1500 plus dreaded, ffs!!

Anyway I got down the road and received a call a few days later, you know the one, similar to when a builder turns up and breathes through teeth when he see's a job. It turns out my diff is fecked, planetary gears are gone, diff housing gone, diff bearings gone, diff shaft gone. Not due to the impact this time more just down to wear and tear, which I was disappointed in given it's only done 104k miles.

So now of course my bill is now 3-4 times what I was hoping to get away with, argh!!.

A further chat reveals that I'll need new first and second gear as they are damaged also, not looking good at this stage.

In the meantime I managed to source a new Diff housing on the Bay for £40, usually £400 plus from Porsche so took that down to the guys.

They also had some decent news for me as they've managed to source a good second hand input shaft, with 1st and 2nd gear. A major result.

Anyway, long story short, the box is done with everything it needed to get it into the sort of condition I demanded.

In the end the following items were replaced:

New Gearbox casing (sourced separately)
Second hand input shaft (excellent condition)
Second hand 1st gear (excellent condition)
Second hand 2nd gear (excellent condition)
New Diff Housing (sourced separately)
New diff planetary gear set
New Needle rollers and roll pin
New diff shaft
New main diff bearings
New diff bolts
New Syncro on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th
Rings
Cone Rings
Angular bearings
Roller bearing
Pinion bearing
Gasket set
Various, bolts, nuts, sockets, .........

The guys at the Unit 11 were superb to be honest, good communication at all times and straight talk, open and honest. This was tricky job and they dealt with it superbly so massive thanks to them.

That's one major headache out of the way now :)

Trev

Ouch Trev ........ but glad for you that it is all now sorted ........ phew ...... but I bet it was some hefty bill all the same.

yes mate, would have been much worse without the eBay items and second hand parts. That said not as bad as you might think.

There was one point which I thought it couldn't be sorted....

Trev

madalaa said:
I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

...... but normally not in one straight hit ....... usually over a few years is about right unless you are particularly unlucky or OCD fussy ...... lol ...... ;)

I wish I'd only spent £10K on mine...

;-)

(Don't really begrudge a penny. All "nice to have" jobs. It'll end up an expensive Outlaw)

Tobesetc said:
madalaa said:
I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

...... but normally not in one straight hit ....... usually over a few years is about right unless you are particularly unlucky or OCD fussy ...... lol ...... ;)

I wish I'd only spent £10K on mine...

;-)

(Don't really begrudge a penny. All "nice to have" jobs. It'll end up an expensive Outlaw)

Yeh me too, but I think they were talking about just the gearbox

:?:

sram said:
People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference.

Sorry but utter tat ........ unless you really do have major issues with your gearbox.
My gear change and clutch pickup was night and day better when I changed the mounts. I really truthfully thought they would make not a jot of difference, but was amazed how better the car drove afterwards. A really great investment imho . :thumb:

Mine was a lot better after I fitted the updated gearbox mount, RS quick shift linkage, goldenrod etc plus the C4 mounts. Shifted like a knife thro butter.

ChrisT70 said:
Mine was a lot better after I fitted the updated gearbox mount, RS quick shift linkage, goldenrod etc plus the C4 mounts. Shifted like a knife thro butter.

Yes good to hear as I have the items above to help things along :thumb:

wozy said:
sram said:
People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference.

Sorry but utter tat ........ unless you really do have major issues with your gearbox.
My gear change and clutch pickup was night and day better when I changed the mounts. I really truthfully thought they would make not a jot of difference, but was amazed how better the car drove afterwards. A really great investment imho . :thumb:

Yes all depends where the issue is, a brand new mount set will not help a knackered diff for e.g., conversely a good box will be ruined in terms of gear change without good mounts.

Anyone having gear change issues should start with new box and engine mounts, if that solves the issues then great if not get your box and wallet out

:D

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back