Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 to 977.2 Steering Wheel Upgrade

Robx said:
This one looks good if anyone wants a sea blue one -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...958856?hash=item41c8655708:g:P4UAAOSwgv5ZPbac

Is it possible to convert a pdk wheel to manual? seems to be loads of pdk ones for sale at a good price but no manual ones? Can the facia just be changed to remove the buttons?

Rob , Linas may be able to do it , the PDK one has a section cut out of the back for the rocker levers the manual one doesnt. this was my issue as my carbon pdk one is not a straight fit on my new gen 2 manual so was going to give the carbon pdk wheel and the sea blue manual MF wheel to Linas and hopefully I will end up with a carbon and sea blue leather manual MF wheel and a bag of unused wheel bits :grin: :grin: :thumb:

HOLY crap that is a rare find. oem sea blue parts are impossible to find imo. if i found that wheel on north america eBay i would have picked that up for sure.

you can convert a pdk to manual no problem, just move the paddles and/or the pdk faceplate... mind you you may still have the pdk holes left in the steering wheel (which I've seen some steering wheel pros cover up + fill in)

Robx said:
This one looks good if anyone wants a sea blue one -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...958856?hash=item41c8655708:g:P4UAAOSwgv5ZPbac

Is it possible to convert a pdk wheel to manual? seems to be loads of pdk ones for sale at a good price but no manual ones? Can the facia just be changed to remove the buttons?

eBay is your friend. in north america the wheel you want on eBay you can find for very cheap and in excellent condition.

i believe the panamera , cayenne, 911, boxter, cayman wheels are all the same so its interchangeable.

MarkC4S said:
only thing putting me off is the eye watering cost!

agreed, it belongs on a van/suv. its so very ugly + non-sporty.

New997buyer said:
Ooooohhhh I'm liking the idea of this mod :chin:

I've always thought that the triangular wheel on my '7.1 turbo belonged in a Transit van more than a Porsche. Watching with genuine interest :thumb:

do you have any photos of both wheels? I'm not sure that you can actually remove carbon off one wheel and put it onto another - id guess they CF would get destroyed during the removal process.

Phil 997 said:
Some very nice upgrades in the pics, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my new 997.2 wheel ,I have a carbon gen2 wheel that is pdk non mf so was going to get linas to use the carbon from that and either modify my sea blue gen2 manual mf wheel so that it was carbon and seablue leather or carbon and black alcantara to match the alcantara gear knob , armrest and handbreak rear , but the airbag is seablue so trying to picture how a seablue airbag would look with carbon and alcantara but after seeing the seablue retrimmed wheel in one of the pics I am leaning towards carbon and seablue and getting linas to thicken up the grip and thumb rests.
So thanks for the pics as its clearer for me ti visualise now. :thumb:

I had a manual front facia for sale in the parts for sale section if anyone wants it

silvermilnec said:
I had a manual front facia for sale in the parts for sale section if anyone wants it

The one in the for sale section looks to be PDK unless i'm mistaken?

Re: For a video on how to upgrade click link ....

iandiman said:
https://www.facebook.com/ron.e.dee.7/posts/10155117536088363

Good vids but wheres part 2 lol :thumb:

Just changed the horse shoe part on mine today & finally got the horn working the way it should!

Some of you may have seen the work around to get it working without changing the module, but the horn needs a very hard press to get it to work that way.

The job its self was straight forward enough.
Once the wheel is taken off, there are 4 small torx bits & 1 small cap screw to take out of the lower cowling.
Once it is pulled down & the upper pulled up, you get access to the connectors in the back of the indicator stalks.
I put a length of insulation tape across the clock spring to hold it from moving first.

Once they are removed, the unit simply pulls off the front of the steering column. To swap out the module, you need to remove the clock spring by prying up three tabs holding it on (Yellow circle) & pull it off the front. Then loosen the 5 T9 torx bits underneath the clock spring to remove the module. Assembly is the reverse procedure.

In my case, it didn't require coding, & everything just worked.

Attachments

• cs1_135.jpg
    cs1_135.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 3,381
  • cs_101.jpg
    cs_101.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 3,381
  • back2_193.jpg
    back2_193.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 3,381
Good to hear its now sorted mate , and an interesting point re the workaround option needing a hard press of the horn to work. these little snippets of info are always useful :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Good to hear its now sorted mate , and an interesting point re the workaround option needing a hard press of the horn to work. these little snippets of info are always useful :thumb:

Aye, the horn worked ok, but the guy at the MOT station was ready to fail it until I proved it did work...

:thumb:

looks like i might have a horse shoe for sale as mine did not need it?

robbiej said:
looks like i might have a horse shoe for sale as mine did not need it?

Rob, I would list it in the for sale section as there are a few guys every month doing this mod as its one of the most popular mods for 997.1 owners after the induction kit. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back