Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Complete DIY for tiptronic to paddle shift conversion

Well ended up getting the AMG ones, local Merc dealer in Northampton had them on the shelf😳
Just need to get on and get them fitted. Had wheel retrimmed by Jack at Royal wheels, did a superb job 👍

grbspeedster said:
Well ended up getting the AMG ones, local Merc dealer in Northampton had them on the shelf😳
Just need to get on and get them fitted. Had wheel retrimmed by Jack at Royal wheels, did a superb job 👍

Could you phone and ask if they have any more? I'm a bit disappointed, my local merc dealer said there were none in stock in any shop in the UK, nor Germany...

If not, I'll give them a ring when I get back

OK, finished fitting to wheel and completed wiring as the superb write up above. Took it around the block to try out, hour later arrived home. What can I say totally transformed car, feels so alive. Thought was fast before but has transformed the whole driving experience. If you've not done it DO IT NOW !
Thanks for the detailed write up made it a real easy job👏

You've finally got it done Geoff. That's superb!

It really is on of the best mods that can be done on a tiptronic. I bet you'll hardly drive in auto mode from now on.

Tom, yes that and getting the wheel retrimmed slightly thicker by Royal Wheels has really transformed the feel of the car
Keeping an eye on your thread car sounds amazing!

So I finally got this completed today, what a difference.

I'd say this is a "must" for Tip owners as it really makes the car feel special - the horrible buttons never inspired me to use it in manual mode, and I'm sure this will!

The process was pretty straight forward, the guide here covers it fairly well. Ran into a few issues along the way that took a little while to "problem solve", but in total the job took about 4 hours. Now that I've done it once, I believe it could easily be done in 1-2 hours.

The biggest time waster for me was ensuring the two paddles lined up exactly - I spent about an hour fettling carefully to make sure the holes lined up perfectly and the paddle itself sat in the steering wheel snug.

Also spent over an hour trying to fashion up a "bracket" to attach the paddle to the steering wheel. All of the brackets I could find were too thick for the steering wheel, there's really not much clearance between the foam and the metal housing. Eventually I managed to find a nice thin piece of stainless steel that I cut into shape. I'm glad I spent ages as it's probably the biggest 'failure point' of the job, if the bracket moves then the paddles will fall out of place and you'd have to start again.

I took a load of pictures, if I can get the motivation later I'll put them up as extra resources for people considering doing this.

Anyway, going to go test drive the paddles.... again...... 8)

Flappy Paddles on 986

Thanks Ricola, just completed this mod today. Absolutely awesome and what the tiptronic should have been in the first place. I used the AMG paddles because the silver matches other trim in my car. Thanks for your help and all other input.

Attachments

• 20170715_152445_resized_542.jpg
    20170715_152445_resized_542.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20170715_155402_resized_815.jpg
    20170715_155402_resized_815.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 168
tiptronic buttons

Instead of buying a manual steering wheel, you can use the tiptronic buttons for your radio! Volume and switch source...

Re: tiptronic buttons

classicgarage said:
Instead of buying a manual steering wheel, you can use the tiptronic buttons for your radio! Volume and switch source...

How?
I've thought about this but where would you start with a conversion pack? (The device that translates the signals)

tiptronic buttons

I have a Pioneer main unit and has a hard wiring remote input. Installed different resistors on the buttons in the steering wheel and connected them with the non used wire in the clock spring.

Re: tiptronic buttons

classicgarage said:
I have a Pioneer main unit and has a hard wiring remote input. Installed different resistors on the buttons in the steering wheel and connected them with the non used wire in the clock spring.

Hi
Could we have some more details? Which Pioneer head unit? When you say "Hard-wired remote input" do you mean the small jack input? Almost like a headphone socket?
What resistors did you use and why? How did you calculate the resistance requirement?

If you could provide some step-by-step instructions of what you did and how you did it, I know there would be a lot of interested people on this site that would appreciate it! :thumb:

tiptronic buttons

It's indeed the small jack connector on the back of the head unit. My head unit is the avic-f980bt but i believe most pioneers are equipped with it. If you google ''pioneer hardwire remote'' you can find the resistors you need for the specific function and how to connect them with the jack connector. I couldn't believe it was so easy to get four functions with just one wire!

Being handy with this kind of upgrades i'm an idiot when using a computer. I simply can't upload pics because of the size of the pictures....

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see you had replied!

Ok, so this is big news!
So it would make sense to use these function in the unused ex-tip switches:
8,2K = tune up/next track
12K = tune down/previous track
15K = volume up +
22K = volume down -

So if I'm getting this right..
one wire - connect all the switch poles together in series with the resistor at the switch?

Do you think you could do a wiring diagram for how to connect up the wires in a Porsche? If you can, I'm going to try this!!
:thumb:

I've just stumbled across this and it seems like a fantastic mod! Thank you for sharing Ricola.

Out of interest, has anybody tried the paddle mod combined with a momo prototipo (or similar) steering wheel? If so, which paddles were used?

Any one know if you can use Mercedes W204 C Class paddles for this job?

Seen a cheap wheel that would be perfect to get paddles from

Thanks as always for any information/advice

Attachments

• 4b1914a7_f7e5_4125_a242_0df30b108e30_111.jpeg
    4b1914a7_f7e5_4125_a242_0df30b108e30_111.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 134

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325