Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying Noise from Passenger Vent Area. Any removal tips?

ballcock

Thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this?

Im getting a faint 'tick' like plastic tapping , only heard when driving over B roads/uneven surfaces.
I'm pretty sure it's either from the dash area behind the passenger vent, or perhaps the petrol flap release mechanism.

Has anyone done work in this area that could gives some hints as to vent removal?

Thanks!

Barney.

I sometimes get a whining from a similar area whenever I drive enthusiastically.

That's why I usually drive alone...

Have you checked the press studs securing the carpet in the frunk? If not fastened, they can make a tapping noise in that area.

I recall trying to remove one of the vents on the dash end unsuccessfully - there are spring clips top and bottom which you are allegedly able to depress by pushing in something thin and flexible but I gave up at the time.

Could be the fan in the bulkhead running out of balance. Had it on mine, I could see where it was rubbing and filed the rough off the vein. Problem solved. Its the fan that sits inside the polen filter IIRC.

Thanks all for the replies.
I generally drive alone.. so it's just ticking , no nagging noises!
I've checked the buttons, all fastened.
I don't think it's a fan noise, it only comes when the car is on the move and consistent with going over bumps, or rough surfaces.
I suppose it sounds like two plastic surfaces lightly tapping off each other in tune with bumps.
I'm surprised nobody else has had this, these cars are very predictable when it comes to foibles!

gunner said:
I sometimes get a whining from a similar area whenever I drive enthusiastically.

That's why I usually drive alone...

I have the same issue, regardless of which car I'm driving. :floor: :floor:

In answer to the OPs question, I believe there is a cable behind the dash, by the vent, that becomes loose and causes a tapping noise. If you remove the side panel from the dash you can see it and re-secure it. I have the same issue but keep forgetting to do this!

It is also worth checking that the air-bag cover isn't the cause of the noise.

Easily done using a plastic credit card as a feeler gauge placed in the gap around the cover.

Thanks guys ... @ Nigel, I'm not sure what side panel you're referring to, is it a sc off panel?
Anyway I'll give both suggestions a shot and report back in a few days when home.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back