Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

just purchased a 2016 turbo 991 paddle steering wheel,

robbiej said:
so the wheel has a module 95B959256C in it its not that, thanks for info above!

This one sits in the column near the stalks mate :thumb:

tom_nieto said:
I don't have a fancy multifunction wheel, so no worries about electronics, but would it be possible to retro fit a newer style (997.2 or 991) wheel to my 997.1?

yes, but you would have to install the 997.2 steering wheel module (997.613.289.01) first to get the airbag + paddles to work properly.

to get the multifunction controller to work you will need a PIWIS to turn the steering module MULTIFUNCTION -> ON , and then have to purchase the lim-bus adapter that will translate the diff protocols between the 997.2 steering module and the 991.2 steering wheel controller.

there is a Paul Li on the Facebook group "porsche 997 retrofit custom & modified tips n tricks" who devised and is selling this solution. i wish he came up with it sooner since I've already sunk too much time and money on a 997.2 steering wheel upgrade!

so the steering wheel works without the module fitted!

I have no buttons on it except the paddle shift

do dealers take parts back? or i'm 260 quid down!

Phil 997 said:
Robbie,
That steering wheel will fit a gen 1 and you will need the 997.2/991 airbag for it
the steated wheel will only work if you have heated seats in your car if you have then there is no reason it wont work .
You will need the newer steering control module they are about £230 and you will need to get your opc to turn on the multifunction option through piwis even thought you dont have MF if still needs to be turned on to make the horn work. you must insist at the opc they do this as they think they know better, and they dont. also from the pic it looks like you might be missing the springs that make the airbag/ horn return when you press it they are only a few quid at the opc you cant use the gen1 ones they are too short.
good luck sorting it and funny I always tell people the steering wheel change mod is about £1000 and by the time you have the new module that will be where your at . dont forget to make sure the wiring loom is in the grove for it as you slide the airbag in also apply a small amount of silicon grease around the edge of the airbag this will help stop it from sticking. :thumb: :thumb:
phill did mine for under £500 best mod I've done 👍

the garage still has it as the bumper respray did not go as planned.....

the foreman said the wheel drove great with the paddles and looks better, he really likes it but said it was a quick fit, ie no money for him

robbiej said:
the garage still has it as the bumper respray did not go as planned.....

the foreman said the wheel drove great with the paddles and looks better, he really likes it but said it was a quick fit, ie no money for him

Robbie, has he tested the horn as if everything works inc the horn and the paddles without the new module . you will be the first that I know of and I have seen this done dozens of times. :?:

There seems to be an assumption you need the new module when doing this mod, but not everyone will need it as shown here. I fitted a new wheel to my car and did not need it. Anyone doing this mod should try fitting before spending £230 on a module.

isysman said:
There seems to be an assumption you need the new module when doing this mod, but not everyone will need it as shown here. I fitted a new wheel to my car and did not need it. Anyone doing this mod should try fitting before spending £230 on a module.

I wonder why that is Isys , more seem to need it than don't , I have to admit it was a right pain when I needed it and hadn't got it. I was of the understanding you only didnt need it if you were fitting a manual gen2 wheel .
Hopefully Robbie will be able to get his returned ok if his horn and paddles are working ok.
I have never seen a tip one done down here that didnt need the module changing over :dont know:

apparently the horn works as well!

no pics yet, looks like they need to re-paint the bumper as the had micro cracks from the primer. The painter said you get that with copies but its a new Porsche part!

robbiej said:

no pics yet, looks like they need to re-paint the bumper as the had micro cracks from the primer. The painter said you get that with copies but its a new Porsche part!

Hope they can do a proper job. I had a painter f**k up my car a few years ago (at Porscheshop). He screwed up a front bumper/wings/bonnet paint job and also rear bumper and wanted to paint the whole car to 'fix' the problem.

I'll only use Road & Race now. Took my car to Wilmslow for the service and Alan from Servicing (top bloke) asked what I had on the paint to make it look so good. I said 'nothing, it's just the paint!'

BTW should look like this

Attachments

• steering_wheel_142.jpeg
    steering_wheel_142.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 4,212
robbiej said:

I am amazed , but a result for you not needing the module. makes the job much more cost effective. :thumb:

just picked it up

steering wheel works great, and horn too..

slower to react than my other car and no auto blipper but came back in manual mode, good for changing down coming to a roundabout etc

pics up later or tomorrow

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back