Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986S heavy clutch

silvermilnec

Hi guys, I bought a low mileage 66k boxster S a few weeks ago.

The clutch is heavy but smooth with no slipping, feels fine. I'm going to take a look at the assist spring. Does the spring just break or can it just become weak? Will it be obvious if this is the problem? Anything else it could be other than the expensive job of the clutch?

Cheers

The assist spring is known to break and make the clutch pedal heavy and also the clutch fluid gets overlooked when the brake fluid is changed (shares the same reservoir) so might be worth doing if the assist spring isn't broken/doesn't help much?

infrasilver said:
The assist spring is known to break and make the clutch pedal heavy and also the clutch fluid gets overlooked when the brake fluid is changed (shares the same reservoir) so might be worth doing if the assist spring isn't broken/doesn't help much?
Thanks for the help, if the spring isn't broken would you say it's ok and not worth changing? Good tip on the fluid :thumb:

It depends how you drive, but the clutch can last a long time even once it's quite heavy.

I bought my old 2.5 on 70k mile with a heavy clutch. Last til about 130k miles and even then only changed because it had gotten so heavy that something bent. Clutch wasn't slipping.

You can still drive the doors off the car. But if you rev match all your downshifts (that bit is critical) and don't do loads of stop-start traffic, it's probably still got 10s of thousands of miles left in it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back