Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why is it so hard to buy a car?

I think there are three reasons traders won't release a car for PPI:

1 they think they know best
2 they don't want the bad news
3 they don't want someone else fiddling with their car (much less removing spark plugs and sticking a borescope inside)

Searching for a targa is searching in quite a small pool. I'd try a wanted ad on here and pistonheads, and try and buy a known car from a prominent forum member. That's not to say you wouldn't want a PPI but a private seller may be more compliant.

I think you stilll stand a chance of getting a targa for £15k but when I was looking (not exclusively at targas) 2 years ago, seemingly nice targas were £16-£18k. Good luck.

I have had a distinct 'we've checked it in our workshop and it's fine' feeling off some dealers. So I tend to trust the ones who say 'no problem, check whatever you want' more.

If anyone's still reading, here's one more question: one of the cars I looked at had a dual speedo with mph and km/h (like on a BMW). I've never seen that in a 911 before. I know the digital display can be changed to show either km or miles, but this one had both in analogue.

My thinking is why, since that would probably be expensive or at least fiddly to do. The car hasn't lived abroad according to the documents I've seen. So it was odd to say the least.

And as a update, going to check out a tiptronic targa soon just to give the gearbox another go, but I'm mentally unconvinced.

As your in Sussex, and I guess looking around the south area there is a mobile porsche trained Tech who covers the south he will go to where the car is and do a PPI and borescope and probably cheaper than other places. let me know if you need his number he has done PPIs for a few guys on here and does lots of maintenance work for me and others . :thumb: :thumb:

My Targa

I bout a 2004 996 Targa for £12.2k in Feb this year. it has done 150k but had a full main dealer service history. It was mechanically sound but looked a bit sad and needed some mechanical and other bits fixing together with cosmetic bits fixing internally and eternally.

I spend £5k on a full major service, IMS, clutch, brakes, belts, and other stuff. Then have spent another £x on tyres and a bit of smart paint repair. I also installed a new head unit.

So you can buy a good targa for £12k but be prepared to spend cash and time getting it up to a suitable standard.

Maybe prices are up as 911 are usually second cars and there is not much else to buy now that ticks any boxes now that modern cars do everything for you.

Sports car...... tick
Driver involvement..... tick (Tiptronic not included :D :D )
Value for money.... tick

Good luck with your search.

Pip :?:

Thanks Phil. If you could message me with your guy's details, that would be great.

The tiptronic thread is interesting. From a rational point of view it makes perfect sense. However there's an emotional element to it as well. And for me at least that involves shifting myself (even if I know for fact I'll be slower in doing it). I remain open to persuasion though, but I'd just need to drive a car for more than 10 minutes.

Interestingly, there's a targa for sale locally with 126k miles that's had a full Hartech rebuild. It's up for 15.9k however.

When it comes to putting up a 'car wanted' ad, should I just post in the 996 section, or is there a special section for that?

I'll take one for the team and try to find out about the cheap one. But 20 quid says it's scam :grin:

Wish you the best of luck with your search.....please keep us informed. Hopefully the local Targa will tick all the boxes.

I went to look at a 996.2 Targa a few weekends ago at a Dealers in Peterborough. It was a manual with 79k and the dealer was asking just shy of £18k. Despite the relatively low miles it looked pretty tired and I'm not surprised its been kicking about for several weeks now. Corroded alloys, Front wheel arches where they meet the sills back to rusty bare metal on both sides and a wonky glass roof panel, amongst other things.

If like me you're on a tight-ish budget I would say look at private sales as I'm not convinced the margins are in it for dealers at sub £15k. Also be prepared to travel but try and find out as much as you can first to save a wasted trip. Hopefully my trip to Scotland will come out good tomorrow...

Jackzi said:
Thanks Phil. If you could message me with your guy's details, that would be great.

The tiptronic thread is interesting. From a rational point of view it makes perfect sense. However there's an emotional element to it as well. And for me at least that involves shifting myself (even if I know for fact I'll be slower in doing it). I remain open to persuasion though, but I'd just need to drive a car for more than 10 minutes.

Interestingly, there's a targa for sale locally with 126k miles that's had a full Hartech rebuild. It's up for 15.9k however.

When it comes to putting up a 'car wanted' ad, should I just post in the 996 section, or is there a special section for that?

PM with details sent mate :thumb:

Greggy said:
I went to look at a 996.2 Targa a few weekends ago at a Dealers in Peterborough. It was a manual with 79k and the dealer was asking just shy of £18k. Despite the relatively low miles it looked pretty tired and I'm not surprised its been kicking about for several weeks now. Corroded alloys, Front wheel arches where they meet the sills back to rusty bare metal on both sides and a wonky glass roof panel, amongst other things.

If like me you're on a tight-ish budget I would say look at private sales as I'm not convinced the margins are in it for dealers at sub £15k. Also be prepared to travel but try and find out as much as you can first to save a wasted trip. Hopefully my trip to Scotland will come out good tomorrow...

I looked at that one as well (from a computer window, mind you). Even gave them a call and they told me the car is now in the workshop to address the roof.

It even looks a bit tired in the pics with the substantial yellowing of the interior, which is not an encouraging sign. I've seen graphite grey go yellow before (especially the steering wheel), but not that bad I guess.

I agree that private's probably a better bet in that case. But there aren't many around.

Good luck with the trip up north. Keep us posted with details (although I think you've started another thread about that, haven't you?)

Demort said:
From 0 to 10 posts in 2 days .. bit different from the last few years !

Welcome to the forums young man :D i did say they dont bite :floor:

Jack any friend of Iain's is a friend of mine mate :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back