Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Removal...?

cableguy

I'm struggling to find any info on the www re 993 Dash Removal. Has anyone attempted or completed the task.

I'm about to partake in swapping out my grim Classic Grey interior for Black. Door Cards, Carpets, Trim and lower dash are all fairly straight forward, however i'm unsure about the dash top and whether the windscreen will need to come out or not.
I know on early 911's that the windscreen required removal to access the dash top but I can't find any info re the 993.

Can anyone help...?

C.

Typical... I was a little premature as I have now found the following comment from Rennlist:

Removal of your 993 dash is fairly easy. First, remove the five phillips screws that hold your fron defroster grille, remove grille, next gently pry off the plastic endcaps that are on each end of you dash. After the caps are off, remove the phillips screw that is buried in there (use a flashlite for the first time to locate it) And finally, most people get stuck on this one, remove your clock and to the right, feel for a stud with a nut fastened to it. You will have to remove the nut. It is tight fit. When this is off you can know gently pull the dash outward and up, the stud has to clear the sheetmetal. With the dash out its a good time to see if your window antenna is in good shape and connected. You can view it through a few holes in the sheetmetal.

Still, it would be interesting to read if anyone has done it. ;)

C.

I took off my dash top some years ago. As I recall, the procedure went something like this:

1. Remove centre air vent. This is held in by 2 metal clips at the top of the vent which you can see if you look in it. Depress these and pull vent out.

2. Undo the 5 screws on the demister cover at the base of the windscreen. Remove the cover which reveals 2 more screws to be undone.

3. At each end of the dashboard are covers level with the top of the door capping. Prise these off to reveal a screw underneath. Actually "reveal" is misleading, the screws are fairly well recessed in the trim.

4. There is a mounting point behind the dash between the centre air vent and the fuel/oil level gauge. This is held by a 10mm nut. It's easier to get at if you remove that instrument.

You should now be able to remove the dashboard top.

Good luck. :thumb:

It's pretty much as per that description, except that for RHD the secret hidden nut is just to the left of the fuel gauge hole...

careful not to drop screws down the demister vent - magnets are your friends!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back