Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Daily driver

Thanks for the feedback. The 911 really is an all rounder. The minus of hanging the engine outback is far outweighed by all the pluses. :thumb:

I use my 997 turbo as my daily. Done 16,000 miles in it over the last 14 months. Did 500 miles in one day the other week driving to Newcastle & back. That was about 8 hours driving!

Miles are up to 86,000 now as a result and if I keep it another year it will be rolling over the 100k mark. Which does worry me a little bit with regards to how that will affect the value of the car, but we shall see if/when I sell it.

As a daily its great fun. Even when im stuck in traffic etc, I only have to look in the wing mirror and see the massive air intake and it puts a smile on my face. Ive only seen 2 other 997 turbos on the road since I got mine and so it stands out and is quite special amongst all the boring mondeo`s & bmw`s etc other people use as their dailies.

I use it for shopping - can fit quite a bit in the boot, and ferry my 2 lads to football etc without any problem. Even took them and their suitcases & all their gear over to the inlaws a few weeks back for a sleep over in it.

PanozGTR said:
Thanks for the feedback. The 911 really is an all rounder. The minus of hanging the engine outback is far outweighed by all the pluses. :thumb:

Almost.... I use mine as a daily except in winter when I can't open the doors due to the windows freezing shut and not dropping when I try to open the door. Apart from that it does everything brilliantly

My 997.1 C2S, been out of the garage since spring. Mini Cooper S for winter has had 2 flat batteries recently due to being parked up!

Porsche is on 102K miles, averaged 18.8 MPG since April.

Love it. Pick my son up from Nursery, weekend family car (taking precedent over my wife's Merc' GLC)

Get out and Drive! Happy days

Mine has never exactly been a daily driver though for about 8 years the GT3 of the time was my only car (commuted by train back then) and it is certainly viable for day to day use.

The noteworthy points to make are pretty much what you would expect. You certainly have "coupe syndrome" in car parks, i.e. in less generous parking bays the long door can make it a tight squeeze to get in and out of (and due to the angle on the glass this is more pronounced with the 911 than something like a 2 door 3 series). Also - you can park a 911 in the middle of an open area in a mostly empty car park and come back to find that the only other car within 100' has chosen to park next to you. It is truly baffling when this happens, but it does. Also be aware when parking that really high kerbs can actually be too high for both the doors or the nose when in a cooking car you wouldn't even think about that. Things like ramp angles will be fine as long as it isn't lowered or wearing an aero kit.

Unless you are a small person in the front with small people or children in the back then the area behind the front seats ought to be considered as for luggage rather than people but then you will already know that. However even a 964 has enough combined storage to do a weeks shop for a family of 4 (mum used to do that back in the day) so there aren't really any other practicality concerns IMHO.

The last point is important though - tyres that are good on a 911 in summer tend to be fairly poor when it gets properly cold. Give very serious thought to hitting eBay to pick up a set of winter wheels. The best time to do this and get a keen price is generally speaking this time of year now :thumb:

Oh - and if you are going to pick up an 8' Christmas tree with it then you need roof bars, a Targa or a convertible. Having a passenger hold an upright tree through a Targa roof for a drive home is something that will get you a fair amount of funny looks though. :paperbag:

Mine is my only car, used for everything from the school run to trackdays and ring trips!

I've done 20k miles in the last 2 years and it's now on 73k and it's not missed a beat :)

Thanks Chap's. This is the first time in my life where l can't wait to go to Sainsburys.

Bomber said:
PanozGTR said:

Almost.... I use mine as a daily except in winter when I can't open the doors due to the windows freezing shut and not dropping when I try to open the door. Apart from that it does everything brilliantly

on the subject of frameless door sticking when cold , use gummi fledge on the door rubber trim that stops the glass freezing to the rubber on a very cold day. :thumb:

I could use mine daily but I don't think I would. Yes it does everything quite well but I've recently upgraded to a manual 997tt and it just isn't stress free enough in traffic. Seating and luggage space is fine, but the heavy clutch, 6 manual gears, short first gear, etc is just too much work for small spaces and short journeys.

With my e46 daily in the garage for a while my wife's Fiat 500 calls to me for the true city car runs.

That said when I had a 997 C2 PDK the daily use even in the city was more tolerable.

Better than a 'silly' supercar for these things, but not perfect.

I could use mine daily but I don't think I would. Yes it does everything quite well but I've recently upgraded to a manual 997tt and it just isn't stress free enough in traffic. Seating and luggage space is fine, but the heavy clutch, 6 manual gears, short first gear, etc is just too much work for small spaces and short journeys.

With my e46 daily in the garage for a while my wife's Fiat 500 calls to me for the true city car runs.

That said when I had a 997 C2 PDK the daily use even in the city was more tolerable.

Better than a 'silly' supercar for these things, but not perfect.

Phil 997 said:
Bomber said:
PanozGTR said:

on the subject of frameless door sticking when cold , use gummi fledge on the door rubber trim that stops the glass freezing to the rubber on a very cold day. :thumb:

Thanks Phil, thanks to this forum (and possibly your advice to other members) I've got myself some, too late for last winter but I'll be ready this winter :thumb:

My 997 was my daily, and I did 20,000km in 20 months. It's currently in storage, but I'll go back to Dubai and get it at the end of the summer, or rather, I'll stick it into a container. When it arrives, it will be put back into service as my daily again. AWD beats FWD for winter duty. All I need is a set of Nokian winter tyres. And some antifreeze.

Mine is my daily driver but I do work from home, so it doesn't clock to many miles up. Had it just over 2 years and love it. Mine's a cabrio so is awesome in the summer/spring/autumn and winter days with the rood down, heated seats on is a joy. Very very comfortable cars and you can do long runs with ease. Wife loves it, takes a lot of luggage on folded down back seats and frunk.

Do it!

Mine is a daily driver (school run and work), which as my Indy tells me is better for the car.

This is my fifth Porsche and third 911... so once bitten it's hard to let go (all except one were daily drivers). In the early days it was a boxster with two of us. Now I have a family with two kids, its the family Porsche... the 911. Can't bring myself to do a Cayenne... but might be tempted by a panamera one day as four doors would be more 'sensible'.

My family is very tall, so I've gone for a tip auto for the first time - gives me that extra seat position flexibility on short trips and on occasion when we all want to travel in the 911, most of the time its just me and one or two others and that works fine.

Luggage wise it's great, very flexible - though cricket season has proved challenging!!!

As suggested some of the magic of driving a 911 is lost as a daily... except when it is given some TLC - beaming after a clean and interior going over, or a new part. Then it feels/looks magic again. Being a black car makes this sensation more extreme as it needs a clean all the time! Maybe choose silver if it's a daily? Oh and make sure you have heated seats for winter :)

Also every so often when you get an empty road, maybe at night, it feels fantastic to drive away from the everyday rat race and rediscover the magic. Wind the window down and listen to those six cylinders, find a tunnel etc. I also really like it when the fuel tank runs low and it lightens up the front end, feels more 911ish.

So despite being used every day, it still feels very special to have a 911, I feel very lucky. I tried having a performance BMW, but it was dull as a daily in comparison. The 911 feels alive and quirky and that adds to the daily drive and makes driving to work more interesting.

What the car inherently hates is being stuck in traffic though, with the engine in the back the cooling system has to work that bit harder than a normal car. Also being an older car (getting on for 12 years now), you are always tuned into the possibility of strange noises etc (that might cost money and generally it costs more as a daily) that you shouldn't get with a newer car.

They do like to be driven though and often hear that the garage queens actually cost more with little issues from lack of good use. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back