Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 Boxster

davidjf7

Chaps,

Tell me if this is a silly idea or a really good one :grin:

I have a 997.2 C2S which I have no intention of selling for a few years yet.

Alongside that, I have a Ford Puma, which was my wife's old car that I kept as a runabout. It's used mainly when I have to leave a car at an airport or train station, or basically if I'm going anywhere that I don't want to worry about parking.

It's been a great little car, with very little spent on it in the last 10 years or so.

Recently, I keep finding myself looking at 986 Boxsters to replace the Puma. I mean, how tempting do they look at £5k??!

I don't mind how old, what engine size, or how scruffy externally, but it has to be a manual, mechanically sound and the cheaper the better, (whilst balancing what work might be needed to sort out anything that needs doing).

So, can you actually get a decent Boxster for £5k - £6k that doesn't need a fortune spending on it, and how costly are they to run? (I'm a reasonable diy mechanic, so would do as much as possible myself).

So, good idea or bad?

Thanks

:thumb:

shout.gif

Ragpicker

He'll be with you soon :grin:

PS Thinking about this myself, nearly got one for £4k,lots of miles but great history.

It's a great idea as they great cars and usable as daily drivers.

I also used to run a number of Mk 1 MX5s which are cheap and the handling can be sorted for next to nothing.

If I was chopping in the Puma I would go for a 986 Boxster 3.2S or if you really want budget motoring with more smiles per mile than you can shake a stick at them go for the MK1 MX5 given you have a porker in the stable already.

Ahem.. I hear you HSC911

Personally I think people are MAD not to drive boxsters!

IMO they are unbelievable cars. I prefer it to my turbo. In fact I recently drove a 991.2 C2 (extended test), got out of it and drove my 986 home thinking the boxster was the better car (genuinely!!). The handling is better, the noise, the visceral experience and the character. When you get in them and hear the mechanicals whirring next to your head you really feel part of the vehicle. They are also ageing very well and still look pretty despite being 20 years old.

You can get a perfectly good, useable box for £5k all day long, Sure, it'll have some miles on it but the ones which have been well used tend to have the least problems IMO. Most of the IMS/D-Chunk issues have gone now too so the only thing left is consumables.

Have a look at the thread in my sig for the journey I've been on with mine, but the vast majority of what I've done is through choice. At their current price they are almost disposable!

Thanks guys, I knew it was a great idea :grin:

Your thread looks like just what I need to read ragpicker, thanks for the link :thumb:

Are any of the engines more reliable/better than the others, or should I just pick a car on condition?

If anyone knows of any good ones for sale, please let me know :thumbs:

Hi David,

Thought I'd sent you a PM earlier but it looks like it didn't work as my snet items box is empty.

I've got a Silver (blue leather, blue hood) 2004/04 Boxster S Anniversary for sale currently (currently with a garage in South London selling on my behalf).

It's done got 9 stamps, 83,500 miles, just had £1k spent on it on service, pads & discs all round, 2 new front tyres and body work & wheels are spotless.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks.

Moodytunes said:
It's a great idea as they great cars and usable as daily drivers.

I also used to run a number of Mk 1 MX5s which are cheap and the handling can be sorted for next to nothing.

If I was chopping in the Puma I would go for a 986 Boxster 3.2S or if you really want budget motoring with more smiles per mile than you can shake a stick at them go for the MK1 MX5 given you have a porker in the stable already.

Thanks, I do really like the mx-5 and will have a look at these too (although I am slightly porsche obsessed :grin: ) :thumb:

bparry911 said:
Hi David,

Thought I'd sent you a PM earlier but it looks like it didn't work as my snet items box is empty.

I've got a Silver (blue leather, blue hood) 2004/04 Boxster S Anniversary for sale currently (currently with a garage in South London selling on my behalf).

It's done got 9 stamps, 83,500 miles, just had £1k spent on it on service, pads & discs all round, 2 new front tyres and body work & wheels are spotless.

Thanks.
For 5-6k?

kas750 said:
bparry911 said:
Hi David,

Thanks.
For 5-6k?

Hi Paul, the car is on for £7k

PM me if interested.

Thanks

Thanks ragpicker, I did think it looked like a good one, if a bit toppy on the pricing as you say.

But I guess I could buy a cheaper one and then end up spending a lot of money on it :?:

I'm not that bothered about how fast it is, as the Puma is no missile and the 911 covers that base.

Is the 2.5 not also the safer option on the engine front, or is there not much difference?

It says on the ad that the main oil seal was replaced 17k miles ago - is that good, and was the clutch likely done at the same time?

Think I'll give the seller a call to try to find out a bit more..

I went through the £5k Boxster thing recently. There is quite a bit of choice although prices have naturally risen this time of year.

A lot of 2.7's coming down to that, I drove a 2.5 and it was fine but preferred the S. Saying that you have the 6sp vs 5spd thing with the 5spd in the 2.5 being a lot better geared and they done have the 2nd issues that the 6spd can suffer from.

As always try them and see what suits you.

Don't worry too much about higher mileage, my S was on 113k miles with original clutch and it was still all fine. Car drove really well and was good fun right up until the point I accidently parked it under a moving lorry trailer a couple of weeks ago and wrote it off.

Great idea! Iv'e had 997 for the last 5 years 996 before that 968 and 944 before that. I now have a 1.5 997 turbo tip and love it, but it feels too special to park in public car parks so I bought a Mini cooper D to pretend i'm a bit green lol 50 to the gallon vs 15 to the gallon the car pays for itself.

Onto the Boxster, me and some mates are doing a 8 day euro trip in August including Monza F1. One of the lads works and lives in USA and wanted to come on the trip. Renting was silly money so I suggested we look at a 968 Boxster use it and sell it afterwords. I started the search something I love! and soon started to see what a bargain these cars are!

I ended up buying a topaz blue 3.2S with 65k miles full Porsche and indy service history with some bills, I spoke to the indy that looked after it over the last 5 years and he was happy to chat about the car.

It's got GT3 split rims, xenon, heated sport seats in blue. odd mark here and there but nothing major, I spent 6 hours with the polisher and its come up lovely.
Ok so I have a 997 turbo, Overfinch disco 4, Mini Cooper D and the Boxster, which one do you think ive been enjoying over the last few weeks?

Not sure i'll sell it when it comes to the time, the mini might go lol

and wait for it i paid £4700 private. It took some time finding but be patient and the right one will come along, plenty to choose from and as others have said go 3.2s iv'e a mate who got the 2.5 he drove mine last week and now wants first dibbs on mine if i sell. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back