Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Daily driver

PanozGTR

Silverstone
I plan to use my new to me 997 as a daily driver for the next 3 or 4 months before l get a run around. Can l have your thoughts/experiences of the car used as normal transport ie. Weekly shopping,transporting the three piece suite etc.

I used mine as a daily for a while. Doing the shopping isn't a problem as I often go to Costco in it. They can ingest quite a fair old amount of stuff. People have made comments as I've pulled up with a full trolley along commenting on how where I was going to put it all, only to eat their words as I close the bonnet.
The other thing of note is that it lost a little of its magic being used every single day.
After it returned to being an occasional use vehicle, all its charm returned.
My 2 cents

I used my 997 daily for first 10 months of ownership and knocked up 7k miles. Had no issues going to gym, work or shops. In fact every journey in the car is special.

The only reason I got a second car was because I got fed up with the little dings and scrapes that appear after visits to car parks. :frustrated:

I had my gen1 997 for 4 years and used it as my daily doing 50k over the 4 years and selling the car with 89k on the clock. very very few issues no more than if I was running any german marque.
Personally I did not lose any of the magic and really enjoyed driving a 911 every day.
I now have a 997 gen 2 which was not going to be my daily and was going to be used 50/50 with the range rover but I enjoy it so much I have driven 2k in the eight weeks I have had it and cant see me stopping only when the winter comes and the weather gets a bit frozen etc . :grin: :thumb:

Like Phil, I used mine for 4 years and 40K miles with a roof rack it can carry bikes, ski's and even the occasional ladder.
With a set of winter tyres I used it all year round even in 6 inches of snow without any problems.

The only limiting factor is the rear seats anyone over 5 foot 3 will struggle and will not be comfortable for any distance.

It depends on your circumstances, as the only car in the household as a couple, no probs.

Only car in the household with kids and dog etc, probably not.

I use mine as a daily. I am lucky to have a nice twisty B road commute.

I drop off my 7 & 9 year old kids at school etc.

It's supremely comfortable for long drives, I've done 4-5 hour drives with ease, no aches etc.

Now I know the car I am confident that the engine out back won't try to kill me on every bend in torrential rain.

In fact I love it even more than when I first got it two years ago.

The only downside is being paranoid about scratches in busy car parks.... and the wife finds suspension too hard.

Having said that, Using it with three occupants makes it much easier than if we were all in it. (Wife has the family wagon).

I am lucky that We also have a snotter that I use when salt is on the roads.

They are also reportedly better than BMWs in snow as there is weight over the rear wheels.

Oh, and although it is easy to park as it's reasonably small, the doors are long and seat is low, so it can be tricky to get in/out of the car in a small parking bay.

Hope that helps,

daily driver and high miles

On this subject are there any higher mileage 997s on here? A lot of the examples are second/third cars, and have consequently low mileages.

I'm used to high mileage cars and it doesn't faze me, my 964 had about 160k on the clock and my current others cars all have 120k plus.

Apart from the usual is there anything specific to watch out for? What sort of mileages are 997s capable of?

I drive all over the country for work and use my 997.2 every day. It now has 103K on the clock. Still, drives like new.

We use it for the shopping, B&Q runs etc. it's the family car during the week, and the fun toy at the weekend.... wasn't that what the 911 was designed for?

Re: daily driver and high miles

eatapeach said:
What sort of mileages are 997s capable of?

I read on an American forum that one of the senior engineers from Stuttgart reckoned that the gen2 with PDK was designed to be good for 'at least half a million miles' but, he said, it should last a lot longer.

I think I'll put that to the test.

I've seen some M96/97 engines in 300K+ cars as well.

Keep the revs below 3K until the oil is warm, and change the oil every 5K, and they should go on, and on, and on, and on.....

I use my Turbo daily. :thumbs: Just about to do the school run, two children and a wheelchair fit in it fine, just no room for the wife! :floor:

I'm using mine pretty much every day at the moment due to building works going on across the road, better than having an inch of brick dust to get rid of every day! The car is more than practical for daily duties and these cars are better used than sat in a garage anyway.

I find the cabin extremely comfortable, just back from a week in France and covered about 1800 miles including the trip back in one stint, 670 miles 10 hours driving, I was amazed how comfortable the seats are!

Hi,

I've used my 911's as my daily drivers for 13 years now. No issues with shopping, weekends away, gym, work, etc etc. In fact we just had a weekend away with our 2.5yr old and everything went in no problem. He had tonnes of leg room and fell straight asleep in his car seat and the Mrs was very comfortable and she is 5'10. I'm 6'5'' so there is NO leg room behind me.

911 = Perfect daily driver - you get to enjoy it everyday to!!! :thumb:

Cheers

Dan

i use my 997.2 c4s daily - do around 200 miles a week in it

i run my quite tall kids around in it - 8 & 10

go to supermarket etc.

even run stuff for work around in it - got a 600mm wide x 1600mm long towel rail in it last week!

we've been to stay at friends houses a good 100 miles away in it for the weekend too

great car

My daughters are 16 & 14, and are happy in the back... it's that or the bus lol.

I'm 6'4" and my 130cm 7 yr Old fits behind me if needed for short journeys. My seat is slightly forward so not perfect. (If we're 4 up)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back