Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

gearbox rebuild

johne

this is probably be my next job in line first and second gear are a bit notchy .may be the traits of the car .but while doing this ill probably think about a lwt flywheel and clutch .I need some advice really .who to use and what other things to get done. not being to mechanicly minded can any one tell the difference with a limited slip diff . I plan to do the odd trackday . I can always seem to bank on good advice on the forum I live in the Essex area but could travel for some one who works on these gearboxes .also how about the clutch from steve weiner

Clinchy is the man to answer this as he had his 993 box rebuilt and dabbles in the occasional track day :thumb:

I think there is a thread on it somewhere but IIRC the gearbox rebuild wasn't cheap :what:

I'll be interested to follow your progress with this johne.

I really struggle with the gear change between first and second on mine, even when fully warmed. If I'm being slightly aggressive with the revs when pulling away (which is my preference because I like the noise) I get a rather large 'clunk' going into second and sometimes it feels like it almost jumps out of first gear when I make the change. I have to nurse it to avoid the issue and can't really put my foot down until in second, and where's the fun in that?

With this being my first 993 I don't know whether this is just a characteristic or whether my gearbox needs a rebuild. I spoke to my indy about it last time the car was in and they didn't seem overly concerned. They said you could open it up and might not see any glaring problems and, commendably, didn't seem overly keen to spend my money for me. I had the gearbox oil changed but that hasn't helped.

I've got the G50 gearbox, maybe they're all like this. :dont know: I could easily live with it but it does spoil the enjoyment of the drive somewhat.

Worn engine mounts make a significant difference to shaft quality so thats the first place to look. A simple oil change can also see shift quality increase.
As for the installation of a LWF I would try before you buy as they aren't to everyones liking. The noise especially doesnt sit well with some owners but the added response of the engine in the lower gears more than outweighs the downsides imo.

I would try an oil change before anything else and a clutch bleed. Usual check for LSD is jack up rear and turn one wheel if opposite turns in opposite direction no lsd, if same lsd present. LWF is a great performance mod but the chatter especially when warmed up can be annoying and the engine may be prone to stalling. I love my LWF and had the 1st to second stiffness 'til I changed the oil, the thump on releasing first is usually clutch not releasing fully.

Gear Box rebuild

I'd use Neil Bainbridge, BS motorsport, Wescott, nr Aylesbury, Bucks, Top bloke, knows air cooled cars like nobody else.

My box is currently in with Unit11 in Warrington for rebuild, car done 104k miles and it appears the diff orbital gears are toast, clearly been like that for a while. Would suggest previous owner hasn't changed the oil to cause wear like that. :dont know:

Will change bearings and syncros etc.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
My box is currently in with Unit11 in Warrington for rebuild, car done 104k miles and it appears the diff orbital gears are toast, clearly been like that for a while. Would suggest previous owner hasn't changed the oil to cause wear like that. :dont know:

Trev

What were your symptons Trev?

Have Unit11 given you an estimate for the cost of the work? Just a ballpark figure would be really useful.

For the OP's symptoms , would anyone recommend a transmission mount change? (assuming the engine mounts are done)

madge said:
Cameltoe & Heel said:

Trev

What were your symptons Trev?

Have Unit11 given you an estimate for the cost of the work? Just a ballpark figure would be really useful.

No symptoms as I bought the car damaged so no chance to drive it.

Essentially the gearbox requires further investigation before an exact price can be determined.

Eeek.

i thought changing the gearbox mount on a carrera 2 was difficult .I already have RS engine mounts and have changed the gearbox oil with motul 600. I'm having a check strap done this weekend by erdell in harlow .so I might go with the short shift kit next to see if there is any play there .seems like that is the cheapest thing next .and if that dosent improve it the gearbox rebuild next. I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

As others have already stated, change the engine mounts before anything else. Mine was night and day better ref the gearchange between 1st & 2nd afer I replaced mine. You may as well go C4 mounts, less flex and a lot cheaper, nice halfway house between C2 and RS. Mine have been on four years and absolutly no issues.

Ref the 'bang' someone is getting whilst changing gear, I'd say that was a DMF on the way out rather than a gearbox issue ..... loits of 993s suffer from this. :thumb:

I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

...... but normally not in one straight hit ....... usually over a few years is about right unless you are particularly unlucky or OCD fussy ...... lol ...... ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back