Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT prices - query

To the OP:

If you've come from an E46 M3 and find a Cayman R uninvolving then i'd say a 996T isn't the right car for you.

I went from a 46 to my Turbo, and as much as the thrust and pace is astonishing (and never gets boring), you'll never get to wring it's neck like you could with the BMW, it's just too damn fast to get near it's limits on a road, with barely any drama in the noise department (in std trim at least). That screaming S54 motor is one of THE best n/a motors ever produced IMO.

A GT3 would be a better bet but the premium they command is just ridiculous now. :roll:

plynchy said:
To the OP:

If you've come from an E46 M3 and find a Cayman R uninvolving then i'd say a 996T isn't the right car for you.

I went from a 46 to my Turbo, and as much as the thrust and pace is astonishing (and never gets boring), you'll never get to wring it's neck like you could with the BMW, it's just too damn fast to get near it's limits on a road, with barely any drama in the noise department (in std trim at least). That screaming S54 motor is one of THE best n/a motors ever produced IMO.

A GT3 would be a better bet but the premium they command is just ridiculous now. :roll:

I agree, buy a CSL instead.

MC

ragpicker said:
Plenty of pre E90 M3 fans on here. If I didn't have a big expense looming I would seriously consider the M3 that another member has for sale...

Yeah me too, I wasn't looking for one but does look good and even better if he will take an offer. I really liked my CSL till I was using it daily.

chriscoates81 said:
I think some people are chancing it, however shameless plug here but i will be listing my 51 plate turbo at the end of the month for £37,500 (non X50). Its been well looked after but has passed 100,000 miles (used as daily driver and currently at 100,600 with about 800miles done each month)

So £45k for a manual X50 with 70k miles is chancing it.

But £37.5k for a standard turbo with 101k miles isn't?

Good manual turbo with a full history command a premium. They're only going to before rarer.

g7jhp said:
chriscoates81 said:
I think some people are chancing it, however shameless plug here but i will be listing my 51 plate turbo at the end of the month for £37,500 (non X50). Its been well looked after but has passed 100,000 miles (used as daily driver and currently at 100,600 with about 800miles done each month)

So £45k for a manual X50 with 70k miles is chancing it.

But £37.5k for a standard turbo with 101k miles isn't?

Good manual turbo with a full history command a premium. They're only going to before rarer.

Why should mileage make such a big difference, mines had lots of parts changed which I bet haven't been touched on some of these other cars. I'm one of those people that doesn't see the point of buying a super low mileage car, which does these cars no good. As an example, last year I had a new water pump fitted, 4 discs and pads and a new turbo so they're all things a potential buyer doesn't have to worry about. Although I missed the x50 bit, I think the standard turbo at 45k is chancing it.

plynchy said:
To the OP:

I hear you, and I had the Evolve carbon airbox on my E46 as well which made a wonderful guttural induction noise, but I want the thrust & speed - as opposed to the engagement (actually I want both but as you say, the GT3 is a few sheckles more than is reasonable).

I do love the R, if they'd of not ***** themselves & stayed away from infringing on the 911 performance space it could have been absolutely spot on, but it's not quite violently quick enough & it rarely surprises me. In fact it's tremendously refined when it gets up the road the majority of the time which I know Porsche's are capable of - everyday blah blah blah. It's fantastically waspish in the twisty stuff & with the PSE on, windows down & a quiet B road it's a riot. Just not quite the riot I feel in my driving soul. That one is yearning for some more ponies under the right foot & the expectation that the scenery goes past you like the transition to warp speed.... :rocker:

I've been a passenger in a Cayman R at Spa and Zandvoort, it made me feel ill.

Granted it had PDK, PCCB and a total nutter driving but as a package it took some beating, he wasn't far off GT4 pace.

Sometimes I don't get the logic out there for the spread in prices

Two 996 Turbo S cabrios for sales at OPC's - both under 20K miles - both manual cars - both with 'marmite' interior colours

One is up for £72K and the other for £85K!!

Go figure!

I'd guess the difference is down to condition and history and dealer perceived value of the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back