Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT Tyre Advisory

Jmalcol

Just had MOT done at OPC on 997.2 Carerra 2. Advisory recommends rear tyres are replaced 3mm tread left. Is this correct?

There isn't really a definition outside of what it says. In the tester's opinion they're approaching wear limit. If your opinion is different and they're still legal then it's of no real concern.

No bother.

As arry says.

Unless you're an absolute idiot in wet or greasy conditions, 3mm is fine.

These tyres are still grippy in the dry with 1mm on :thumb:

Alfaian said:
As arry says.

Unless you're an absolute idiot in wet or greasy conditions, 3mm is fine.

You say that..... But.

My tyres are ancient (against forum advice I've not replaced them). On a Car Limits day designed to find exactly that, someone with the same car as me found theirs a real handful on much fresher tyres but that were close to wear markers.

Well qualified instructors had nothing but praise for my car, but told old matey to go replace his asap as it was downright ludicrous.

I guess all tyres react slightly differently to age and or wear, but one should assume anything in this regard. It's all in the feel.

Alfaian said:

Slicks might be grippy in the dry but they're still illegal and would be deadly in the wet.

To car enthusiasts an advisory such as this seems a bit OTT. To many (most) drivers of ordinary cars it would be very useful. eg. For my mate who's tread and tyre pressures aren't checked between annual dealer services despite him doing 12k miles a year.

Where is the 3mm measured?

I had an advisory for the same, on the inside of the tyres. Still got 5/6mm left on the outside due to the camber - TADTS :grin:

arry said:
My tyres are ancient (against forum advice I've not replaced them). On a Car Limits day designed to find exactly that, someone with the same car as me found theirs a real handful on much fresher tyres but that were close to wear markers.

The reason for age limits on tyres is that rubber ages and with time it hardens and loses its flexibility. Ultimately this can result in serious failures. However the advice to change at 6 years is a safe limit and there is some leeway. If your car has been kept in hot sun for instance, the tyres will not last as long as a garaged car in cool conditions. With older tyres, keep a close eye on the tread and sidewalls for any cracking or changes of texture.

Of course, tyre manufacturers also improve their tyres and old tyres will be older technology.

Personally, on a high performance car, I would change them at 6 years but I would expect to wear them out before that point!

Another opportunity to extract some more "Porsche tax" by an OPC me thinks.

Rubber products, even where quality control is extremely good, are not absolutely homogeneous. This is why you hear even F1 drivers 'not getting on' with a set of tyres.

So what one set of tyres handles like at the wear limit, does not necessarily correspond to what another set might do, even if it's the same make and model of tyre.

An advisory like this is a bit of arse-covering from the MOT tester and, in truth, a good heads-up for an owner who may or (as is often the case, as others here have said) may not be aware of the state of their tyres.

I took my VX220 on a car limits day at North Weald on old tyres as I was waiting for some new wheels to arrive.

I was with 3 other VX's are my 'old' tyres were shockingly bad compared to newer rubber. I had fun wrecking them though :)

Agreed that 3mm is not necessarily a drama yet though.

Phil

I believe the minimum tyre tread depth in Germany is 3mm so this is probably why your OPC say this. My Turbo gets noticeable more skittish in the wet when the tread depth goes lower than this.

Pazuzu said:
I took my VX220 on a car limits day at North Weald on old tyres as I was waiting for some new wheels to arrive.

I was with 3 other VX's are my 'old' tyres were shockingly bad compared to newer rubber. I had fun wrecking them though :)

Agreed that 3mm is not necessarily a drama yet though.

Phil

Same one. 3 x 996's though lol.

Im in the same boat as my car + tyres are both 8 years old and done 14000miles. My OPC insists 3mm is too dangerous for a high performance car! That's why I started a thread earlier in the week to seek help here to get a much better tyre deal than my opc!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back