Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Engine problems and oil use

Engine design

One thing that I saw at Hartech was the huge difference in the crankcases between 997.1 and 997.2 cars. As stated Gen 2 are closed deck from top to bottom but they also have a thick brace of alloy across the bottom of each piston chamber.

The theory being that the damage being more focused to the bottom of certain piston bores may be related to tight tolerances and heating and cooling cycles and expansion differences across the top to bottom of the piston bores. Possibly exacerbated by the bracing at the bottom of the chambers.

Reckon a very good reason to ensure a good practice of warming the car up before giving it beans, especially in cold weather. From what I am told that goes beyond what the water temp says, more to do with oil temp as water heats up far quicker is not a good indicator of the engine temperature proper.

An awareness of a potential 'problem' is a good way of attempting to avoid it!

For sure I am another relieved Gen2 owner.

Regards
Glen

Good news, I hope you can now begin to enjoy it over the summer and into autumn.

We were happy to help Glen with his difficult situation but also found it quite difficult to form a conclusion from our camera when looking inside his cylinders, because the first few times we see a new cylinder problem there is little experience of interpreting the pictures.

Alusil has not been used since the 968 until the Gem 2 engines and cameras were not in use back then so experience of viewing those bores with a camera is limited and different to looking at Lokasil (which many are now familiar with).

However Grant had the bright idea of using the same camera with the same lighting to look at the scored Gen 2 cylinder blocks we already had here (both at the scoring and the light marks of no depth that these type of cylinders always seem to exhibit and that is not a problem) and this revealed comparisons that suggested Glen's engine was probably OK although we cannot see below his piston crown at BDC on his car and this is where on all the scored Gen 2 engine we have seen - the main damage occurs.

We felt that until the oil has been changed to the type we recommend (and a revisit of the consumption) and with the prospect of an extended warranty that was probably a better option than running the risk of going to a lot of expense only to find it was not necessary.

However I think it would have been more difficult to form such a conclusion with just the boroscope view of Gen's engine and without being able to compare it to other Gen 2 Alusil scored bores at this early stage in the story of Gen 2 bore scoring and so our confidence in SCS Porsche has not been affected.

Baz

That's great news Glen,

And Kudo's to hartech for honest and true inspections.

I'm switching to millers at my next service interval, Even though my oil usage isn't 0.8L per 1000 miles. I've heard many good stories of people using it.

0w40 really is like water :lol:

Once again, I'm happy your 911 ownership can continue and i'm with you on the noisy DFI from the gen 2 - def louder exhaust required :lol:

That's good news Glen and a good result! Goes to show that there are less people that really know these cars than a lot of people think and it s easy (lazy) to jump to the wrong conclusion sometimes.

Enjoy the car, I for one will be making a 300 mile round trip to Hartech for my next service!

In closing and time to drive

Still to speak with Tetbury Audi due to the person I have been dealing with has been away.
I am sure they will honour their offer of an extended warranty.

I have spoken again with SCSPorche and better understand their findings and position re the car. The short version being that they were looking at getting the car sorted now whilst it is under warranty so I might not get a big bill down the line. It was good to speak with them and get the matter cleared up.
So, all is good and they can still be my go to garage here in East Devon.

Hartech were great but it is quite a drive to get up there up there.

In closing thanks to all the people that took time to offer advice and and some rationlisation.

Regards
Glen Wells

Hi glen, I'm glad you've got a satisfactory outcome :thumb:

Also, post your findings on oil consumption when you change over to millers nano.

I'm sure there's a lot of gen 2 owners on here that will want to know if there's a difference.

When I first had my gen 1 it was running on Mobil 1 and it dropped 2 segments within 1500 miles and 3 months of ownership.

Changed to millers 10/50 nano at said 3 months and no loss of oil when I had it serviced a further 9 months and approximately 3000 miles later.

The next service was due in April of this year and I've put 1/2 litre in within those 2 years and around 5000 miles.

I also had the bores checked for peace of mind thinking they'll be fine due to hardly no oil consumption.

Wrong move at the time because my Indy found cylinders 4 and 6 with marks on them but it's not used any oil since the service and the findings of hartech on your car has given me a shot in the arm and renewed confidence going forward.

Thanks for that and good luck :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back