Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

73 RS Replica - Engine Options

joe991rs

Hi All
Looking for some advice on engine choices. I have a 1973 911e that is an ex competition rally car. Its currently an ok from the distance RS replica! For the time being I will use as is and enjoy on the track and road until I restore it either in the coming or next winter.
It currently has a 3.0 79 sc engine, bored to 3.4 with triple webbers, I have a dyno report showing 250 bhp.
Im unsure what to do with the engine and am looking at 3 options:
a. Refurb the sc engine.
b. Find a 3.2 carrera engine and modify it.
C. Drop a 964 engine in her.
What I put in will stay in once she's restored as a period correct RS.
Any thoughts/advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Interesting dilemma you have there, but you don't mention another option and that's to put in the period correct engine for a 73 RS.

I say that because if your base car is indeed a 73 911E then to do anything else would, some would say, be sacrilage. In fact a lot of the early car guys would say you have to take the car back to it's original form, forget the RS rep idea, a 73E is a 6 figure car these days, so try to find the correct 2.4 motor for it.

I on the other hand, love 73 RS reps, short of the real thing they are the ultimate drivers car. But the heart of that 2.7RS motor is the 019 mfi injection pump, it's that one part that transform the car and makes it perform like no other.

Your car being a 1973 shell means that it only deserves the best, leave dropping a 3.2, a boring lazy motor, or a 964 lump to the hot rodders or back daters, you have to stay period correct.

You might find the folk here are more into their later shiny models, worth having a look at the DDK-online forum perhaps, a maverick irreverent bunch but with the best early Porsche car knowledge there is in the UK.

Best of luck with the project, and just to help you along here's one I did earlier......

35374286080_e906578aee_c.jpg

All IMHO of course.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response, useful info.

I had considered either restoring as an e and putting a 2.4 back in but with decent rs steel arches and all the original interior stripped out decided this wasn't the best way to go.

As for finding a 2.7 that would be ideal but id ruled it out due to cost (only seen one for sale at 30k) - I think of the back of this you've encouraged me to look a bit harder for one!

If you have the right profile rear arches then your nearly there, so many don't have!

It does sound as though this could be a really special car, it's crying out for the right engine, just have to find the 7R cases, 6 bolt crank and that mfi pump and you're there, everything else available off the shelf. Not cheap of course but the best never is, if you think in terms of the overall value of the car then the engine costs will seem more reasonable.

Then when it's built and you plant your foot to the floor and feel that throttle response you'll know why that early RS motor is so special.

Half the fun is sourcing the rare and hard to find parts, again ask on DDK and look on Early 'S' Registry and Pelican in the US. Here in the UK speak to Neil Bainbridge at BS Motorsport, he is the font of all knowledge in things RS and has many parts himself, he also loves a good rep.

Best of luck with whatever you do. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back