Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 'What went wrong with your 996 today?" thread

alex yates said:
:eek:

I really wish I hadn't read that.......I'm off there next week.

I understand that the country I was in was irrelevant to the failure but highly relevant to the size of the hollow feeling I had in my stomach. :D

Wasn't any warning I have to say, just failed.

:superstition:

Well sadly that looks like the end of my ownership of my current 911. I'm waiting for the written report but it's looking like an engine rebuild what with pistons having touched cylinders etc. The repair is looking like more than I'm able to spend on the car at the moment, so with a heavy heart I will transfer off my private plate and put it up for sale as a project for someone to take on.

It's a beautiful car and I know it's worth around £16-17k in fully working order.

If anyone fancies a project, let me know, otherwise expect it to appear soon in the classifieds.

:salut:

Ouch Telly, I feel for you. What a total sickener.

It's no conciliation but I'd have to do the same in your position. I don't keep £12k sitting there ready for a rebuild.

You'll have people tell you that a rebuild is £12k so if your car when working is worth £16k, it's now worth £4K if you factor the rebuild. That's rubbish though. You should expect at least £7k on eBay for an otherwise good car.
Plenty sell for that.

Also, not everyone is bothered about an all singing all dancing Autofarm/Hartech Rebuild. You can get through 3 used, tested engines before you've spent £12k so that's always worth a look. Yes it'll still have the same design faults but if someone is only doing 3-5k per year during summer they may get a good few years (or even lots of years) by fitting a decent used motor. .

Anyway, what a horrible ownership experience. Good luck salvaging something from it.

PS. I'm guessing it was IMS related as it sounds like it happened rather quickly and bore scoring can go for years?
Makes no difference anyway, if swarf from the components has travelled around the engine. It will have ruined it. :nooo:

Thanks Marky911

Thing is I had new IMS fitted when I first bought the car nearly 4 years ago, don't think that failed. :dont know:

Awaiting report.

Oh I am sorry to hear that, not much you can say really, don't even want to imagine how bad I'd feel if my turbo engine let go!

I didn't think it was going to be the engine because you had messages for other things. It seemed to point more to an electrical problem to me?

Commiserations Mac

Sorry to hear this!! It is devistating news. I've been there myself with my turbo. Wait for the report. It was running and not seized so it could just need a refresh to one bank.

Many thanks for the commiserations folk - much appreciated.

So what's happened is the timing chain has jumped - for reason unknown - and on the left hand side the valves have touched the pistons. If I was keeping the car long term I'd fix it, but I'm starting a new business venture later this year so have decided it's best to cut my losses and let the car go.

It's being relayed back to my place in Leatherhead on Friday. Other than the driver's door window microswitch needing replacing (have to hold the handle to keep the window down when closing the door) it's a great car and worthy of someone sorting the engine out.

It's got 81k on the clock. Masses of history. I'm going to try for £8k as a project. What do people think of that figure?

PS: will be transferring off the private plate so it'll go back to a '51 reg.

Jeez, that's some rubbish news. Out of interest, why did you switch out the IMS bearing previously and which type did you go with?

Glasgow 911SC said:
Jeez, that's some rubbish news. Out of interest, why did you switch out the IMS bearing previously and which type did you go with?

It wasn't the IMS that failed. It had a Parr unit fitted back in 2014. I only changed it as a precaution. The original bearing was fine. The timing chain has jumped and caused the valves to hit the pistons. It is suspected that a tensioner on the timing chain failed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back