Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

turn the key and sometimes nothing

resigner

Morning all

when I turn the key, foot on the clutch, sometimes the car doesn't even start turning over to start, just nothing happens. I have to turn the key back to off, then back on again and it will start, or sometimes repeat the process. Everything lights up, it all looks normal, it just doesn't start up.

2007 997.1 C2S manual cabrio if that matters.

Any ideas?

thanks all!

It'll be the switch on the clutch pedal starting to fail.

I've narrowed mine down to a lazy starter motor

If it's making a loud click when you turn the key (relay) it should mean the clutch pedal switch is OK. It's then likely to be one of earth strap starter motor or battery itself.

resigner, mate it could be any of the options already offered, but also the key cylinder part does get worn on these cars and I was told by my indy that its quite a common issue so worth considering that it may be that also.
I know on the gen2 there was a recall as the clutch sensor was failing , just had that freeby done by the OPC myself.

I would bet its one of those two failing other than that then as mango says look at the battery. or worst case what Kossi says
:thumb:

No Click at all.

Everything lights up fine and comes on, just car doesn't even attempt to start, but might well do on another try. I think I'm going for a drive to OPC Hatfield.

Car is (just) under warranty with OPC :)

It's usually the switch at the clutch.

If it just clicks at the rear that's the starter solenoid sticking

Just make sure to depress the clutch ALL the way down and if the issue goes away your sorted.

My money is on the key barrel from the description

(clutch switch failure would be associated with a Depress Clutch Pedal message on the dash)

So, been to OPC and it's booked in for them to check it out.

Noticed that, even with the clutch depressed, it still shows the "depress clutch" message, so I suspect its the switch. If I push the clutch down as hard as possible then it works every time, so not a problem for now. Booked in on 8th August as that's the earliest they can do!

cheers

resigner said:

Noticed that, even with the clutch depressed, it still shows the "depress clutch" message, so I suspect its the switch. If I push the clutch down as hard as possible then it works every time, so not a problem for now. Booked in on 8th August as that's the earliest they can do!

cheers

Mine does the same.....just push it right down and all is well.

resigner said:

cheers

Hmm, that would have been a useful clue in your initial post!

It will be the depress clutch switch then :floor:

GT4 said:
resigner said:

cheers

Yeah I only noticed when showing the OPC service guy :) Car is under warranty until 7th July, so I am booked in and as I've raised it before the warranty runs out, it will be covered under warranty :) Will update once it's been in.

Depress Clutch Switch: £25*
OPC fitting labour: £80*
Being able to drive your 911: Priceless

Warranty fix: FREE!!! :D

GT4 said:
resigner said:

cheers

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Good to hear its getting sorted and nothing serious.

Just to tie this all up nicely. Car has been into OPC Hatfield and they indeed found the switch needed replacing, and now the car is starting perfectly every time. Good job it went in today, it's got a lot worse since the original post! Nice Macan S as a courtesy car, all good, nice fast job by OPC.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back