Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Change Cost!!!

Rob, Castrol GTX ?

My Indy charges £120 for an oil service but has a look at everything underneath while its up on the ramp.
His process is to let the oil drain for a good 30 mins or so so I could see where an hour come into play.

DucatiRob said:
As I'm off to France for a few days on Sunday, first time abroad in the Porsche, I thought I would get the oil changed as the engine is now just about run in! Booked it in at my next most local indie, not a good experience at my most local last time :shutup: Was expecting maybe £150 - £170 for just oil and filter.....£262!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

More fool me, I should have asked first I guess.. but £262!!! I did question the price, explained - £113 for 9 litres of Castrol GTX (wtf), labour one hour at £103, filter £23.50 plus an oil disposal charge! One hour to change the oil, guessing the guy must have been rooted to the spot watching the oil drain out for 45min!

What p'd me off most was receptionist informed me that a minor service is only £307! Thanks for that!

I was there for an hour and a half wondering around a very nice showroom ( three GT2RS's and a Carrera GT) and the only person that spoke to me was the guy washing the cars!

Car didn't get washed and no free litre of oil!

Rant over....not happy :gunfire:

I can beat that, OPC Wilmslow charged two hours labour for an oil & filter change a couple of months ago!!! I challenged it and they reduced it to one hour as it's a fixed price but still say it took two hours :dont know:

Specifically which Castrol 5w-40 did they use Rob??

OPC Wilmslow also allow you to supply your own oil which works out a third the cost per litre OPCs charge :grin:

Ouch Rob that sounds very expensive. Maybe try Matt at Porschacare in Stevenage. He doesn't have any GT2RS's for sale but does only charge £55+vat per hour and you can supply your own oil! He's in Stevenage so about 40mins away from you. (I travel down from Northampton to see him).

I can understand how you feel, I would be the same, but don't let it spoil the trip...
Have fun in France.

Thanks guys!

It was JZM Porsche in Kings Langley, it was Castrol Edge they used, will be changing it myself as soon as I get back from France!

Think I will concoct a snotty letter to Mr/Mrs JZM!

DucatiRob said:
Thanks guys!

It was JZM Porsche in Kings Langley, it was Castrol Edge they used, will be changing it myself as soon as I get back from France!

Think I will concoct a snotty letter to Mr/Mrs JZM!

Complete rip-off, and using a very "average" grade oil.

Just a comment on the oil change time, I allow mine to drain for a long time when I change the oil, it's surprising how long it continues to drip for. However it doesn't take any of my time, I don't stand around watching it!

You could have had that done by negotiation with OPC for a lot less (especially if your model qualifies for modern classics rate which around here in the North West its £75/hr + VAT = £90/hr.

That labour rate you quoted is presumably +VAT?
Indys price all their work excluding VAT by my experience, OPC price including VAT.

The mantra sometimes recited for indys as "main dealer servicing at half main dealer prices" is flawed in my experience. If it is cheaper and the Indy is charging £75/hr + VAT for labour (matching modern classics rate at OPC) then any saving must be from the use of after-market parts and the work is only carrying a one year warranty vs OPC's two year warranty on their work.

You had a very expensive oil and filter change and not even Porsche recommended oil.

Castrol Edge 0W/40 and 5W/40 IS on the July 2017 Porsche Approved A40 engine oil list, so you'll be fine with that.

I travel to people I trust with my car, a 200 mile round trip to RSJ for servicing because A. they don't rip me off, in fact quite the opposite - they are more than reasonable B. they never go looking for extras to pump the bill up, again, quite opposite - they look at everything on the car, the technician gives you a real good run down on what is needed what can wait and the stuff that will likely need to be changed at the next service.

I have an OPC less than 9 miles from my house who will pick the car up from my place and re-deliver for no extra cost, yet I trust RSJ more so make the trek to them each time, money and time well spent. Besides, it feels like I'm part of a family with them not just a job-card number :thumb:

Oh the best bit? Circa £70 per hour plus vat. Bargain! My recent minor service including Mobil 1 oil, oil filter etc was £330 inc vat on a turbo.

BMW only use Castrol Edge in M cars so can not be a quality product :thumb:

Have you seen the prices of their stock and their set up?

No wonder they charge so much for labour.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back