Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Ok, thanks for the input chaps, I'll get the centre console painted at the same time as everything else.

On to a different question - I've identified (at long last) a really annoying flappy-rattle noise, it's the flap that you lift to see the mirror on the back of the sun visor/turn on the lights to either side of the mirror.

Is this a known issue and if it is would there be a known fix for it, or should I have a crack with some Sugru?

Hmm, I wonder how much a new visor unit would be? I'll have a fiddle with the existing unit tomorrow, see if I can fix it and if I can't I guess I'll ring East London OPC for a price.

The car is looking great now Neil. The wheels look lovely.

I agree with other comments. The seat backs and console make a huge difference to the interior.

I think your quest for perfection is great. You're hell-bent on doing what most owners do, except what usually takes most people 5 or 6 years of tinkering, you want it done in a couple of months. :grin:

Looking forward to the next phase. :thumb:

Thanks Mark, appreciate the comments.

I'm picking up a pair of OEM litronic lights after work tonight, not because the standard lights are bad but the Litronics are meant to be better, and I have a what would appear to be a Porsche related compulsive disorder (see Benchrace 2,000 thread for how that's manifesting in other ways).

The litronics were only ever available with clear indicator lenses (I believe?) so the indicator lenses will need re-ambering.

I have read about a couple of methods for doing this now - Krylon stained glass paint (rattle can) in "Tangerine Candy", or alternatively using translucent vinyl, as (I am guessing) used to wrap cars, but on the lights.

I can't remember who it was who had used the amber film - they are on this forum, the paint technique was mentioned on the 996 Facebook group.

Does anyone have experience of doing this that they can relate, with any caveats?

Ouch, spending £30k when you thought you were in £10k. Still at least your car is mint and you can enjoy it for a good number of years as it will drive like new.

That coolant tank looks original - its yellowed. The originals crack. I would keep an eye on coolant level, and especially that expansion tank.

Lovely car though, love the roof rack! I rather like the 996.2 multispoke 17s, how is your ride quality (back to back) now its on 18s?

Being completely honest I'm struggling to tell the difference, although I am sure that there is one.

The 17's are currently with Chris/Exel being refurbished, I'll likely sell them when I get them back as try as I might I cannot create enough space in the garage to store them - give me a shout if you want them, they've got N rated Pilot Sports on which are 3,000 miles from new.

I had thought of putting winter tyres on them, but would need to rent another garage which makes the economics somewhat unbalanced.

These are the lights (if Facebook pictures work on this forum):

34744117514_0ba2281058_b.jpg

I can swap the washer surrounds with mine, but that would make the issue of colour match even more important. I think the compound curves would/will make using a wrap difficult - although I admit I know very little about what shapes a wrap will manage.

Excellent and honest thread, and well done for wanting your car to be perfect. I've not spent quite as much as you bit have still easily spent the value of the car getting right. I just think if you've got a 911 you want it to drive as it should.

And, while plenty of people start saying 'you could of bought a 997 for that', ignoring the discussion on which is best, in my experience of looking for a circa £20k 997 with a friend recently, they all need the same amount spending on them. Incidentally, gave up and bought an E46 M3.

Particularly impressed that someone has one of those bike racks. I've only seen them in the brochure before. I spent ages getting an original porsche rack for my coupe as I just think when ever I head into Wales, or where ever, mountain biking I used to think I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and do it in the 911.

Anyway, I also have an early 3.4 and have the same issue with the cig lighter, thought it was just me. So do I just order a bog std 997 one, as Design 911 imply the same one suits both 996 and 997? Do I need to order anything else and is it easy to do for someone with no mechanical ability?

Also interested in your Becker. Where did you get it from and what does it do? I keep thinking about getting one but everytime I look I get confused by the numerous model numbers and so give up.

Cigarette lighter - it's straightforward bar one aspect, which is pulling the old socket out of the cage in which it sits. There are wedge shaped tabs which allow the socket to be pushed into the cage, but not pulled back out again.

However, simply rotating the socket with reference to the cage moves the tabs out of their locating holes, and enables you to pull the socket out cleanly.

I'd get a set of trim tools - they're circa ten quid from eBay and very useful for this and other prying related tasks when you need to avoid marking anything.

I kept the boxes that my parts come in so I can grab the part numbers for you when I get home.

Becker - I settled on the Cascade Pro as it seemed to have the most to offer, there are other units that sit/sat below it in the range, but whilst they do a lot the issue then becomes finding one that has a display colour that is a precise match for the climate control panel, the dash etc.

The Cascade Pro's display colour range is configurable, which avoids that issue. It also does limited route display, but one of the main things I like about the Becker is that it is perfectly fine just to listen too it whilst keeping your eyes on the road, which I prefer. I also finally worked out how to get it to read instructions out with no music on in the background, which ticked the final box on my requirement list (hold the left hand knob in for 3 seconds to mute). Finally, the Becker looks OEM - personally I can't stand stereo's that don't have a look that matches the dash in which they sit.

A tip of the hat to you, transparent and informative, a good read! :thumb:

I have recently gone through a similar exercise but am fortunate to have been able to carry out lots of the spanner work myself, which saved me a heap!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I bought some Litronic headlights from a chap on the 996 Carrera Facebook group - quite heavy carrying them home on the tube.

They are, of course, clear lenses:

34806414854_7b6545831c_b.jpg

Which was the only choice if you wanted the more modern projector lamps rather than halogen:

35517376581_2406d7b456_b.jpg

But my car has amber lamps and indicators, so this needs to change.

35517396281_e55b2285e0_b.jpg

35479269752_4eb1e609d1_b.jpg

At this point I discovered how much easier a hair-dryer made this process.

35260974260_ff3e25f55c_b.jpg

34806507054_0abf944ffe_b.jpg

One question, I pushed the headlamp assemblies back into place and they seemed to latch in nicely, holding onto the edges and tugging them forward again didn't unseat them - I had to use the tool to get them out again.

Is this enough, or should I have to lock them back in place with the tool?

Instructions on the Internets are unclear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back