Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Incoming - GTS2 ordered

Kiernan

Having owned a C2S a few years ago which I didn't quite gel with, I've often regretted selling the car after such a short time as every time I see a 991, I almost kick myself for being so hasty (earlier thread here if anyone's interested http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94910&highlight=)

I think part of the reason was that the car was secondhand and not to my ideal specification. I had to make compromises on a number of things, and to be honest, I hate compromising when it comes to cars. I've also driven so many Porsches since I sold mine that I feel I 'get them' much more now - the sports cars really are fantastic, from the basic Boxster through to the top end 911's. Even the Macan is a superb drive, although I don't really have much time for the Panamera or Cayenne (apologies if you have one!).

Anyway, after seeing a few carmine red GTS's on here of late, it's tipped me over the edge so I've just placed an order for a new GTS2 Manual (I know, but they really have improved the box from when my old car was built and I'm an old fart) with a fair number of extras.

Not in a rush as we've got a trip planned to Monza in August/September for the Grand Prix, so I'll take my current M4 and then look at selling it after we get back. Looking forward to it even more now as we were always planning to go to Stuttgart so I can see where it all happens. Shame the factory wil be closed for summer as I'd love to do a tour.

I assume I get an invite to Silverstone shortly, but not sure how it works. I'll speak to the dealer for the full details.

Kiernan said:
Having owned a C2S a few years ago which I didn't quite gel with, I've often regretted selling the car after such a short time as every time I see a 991, I almost kick myself for being so hasty (earlier thread here if anyone's interested http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94910&highlight=)

I think part of the reason was that the car was secondhand and not to my ideal specification. I had to make compromises on a number of things, and to be honest, I hate compromising when it comes to cars. I've also driven so many Porsches since I sold mine that I feel I 'get them' much more now - the sports cars really are fantastic, from the basic Boxster through to the top end 911's. Even the Macan is a superb drive, although I don't really have much time for the Panamera or Cayenne (apologies if you have one!).

Anyway, after seeing a few carmine red GTS's on here of late, it's tipped me over the edge so I've just placed an order for a new GTS2 Manual (I know, but they really have improved the box from when my old car was built and I'm an old fart) with a fair number of extras.

Not in a rush as we've got a trip planned to Monza in August/September for the Grand Prix, so I'll take my current M4 and then look at selling it after we get back. Looking forward to it even more now as we were always planning to go to Stuttgart so I can see where it all happens. Shame the factory wil be closed for summer as I'd love to do a tour.

I assume I get an invite to Silverstone shortly, but not sure how it works. I'll speak to the dealer for the full details.

Congrats on the new car, will be nice to see the specs. You should get an invite to the PEC at Silverstone, its takes about 4weeks to contact you after order is placed.

Scoot, the full spec of the new car is as follows:-

Carmine red
Alcantara GTS interior package - carmine red
LED headlights with PDLS+
Porsche entry & drive
Park assist (front & rear) with camera
Electric glass sunroof
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
7 speed manual
20-inch turbo s wheels
Cruise control
Lane change assist
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Light design package
Home link garage door opener
GT leather steering wheel
Heated multi-function steering wheel
18 way adaptive sports seats
Smoking package (for the power supply + cover)
Passenger footwell storage net
Air vents painted
Vehicle key painted with key pouch in leather
Steering column casing in leather
Gear lever in carbon
BOSE surround sound

It's very easy top keep ticking boxes in the Porsche configurator!

I hope I don't need to add anything after my trip to Silverstone; I'm already well over my initial budget.

Good choice. :worship:

I have a manual 991.1 GTS and there's nothing wrong with the box. If they've further improved the .2 then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you get your PEC day before your order is locked down - you might want to add something extra (or indeed take something off).

Cameo said:

I have a manual 991.1 GTS and there's nothing wrong with the box. If they've further improved the .2 then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you get your PEC day before your order is locked down - you might want to add something extra (or indeed take something off).

Cheers for that. Agree about the gearbox - I did the 991.1 GTS intro event at Silverstone in 2015 and even then the gearbox then was much better than my 2013 car. I understand they've improved things even further, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Kiernan said:
Scoot, the full spec of the new car is as follows:-

Carmine red
Alcantara GTS interior package - carmine red
LED headlights with PDLS+
Porsche entry & drive
Park assist (front & rear) with camera
Electric glass sunroof
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
7 speed manual
20-inch turbo s wheels
Cruise control
Lane change assist
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Light design package
Home link garage door opener
GT leather steering wheel
Heated multi-function steering wheel
18 way adaptive sports seats
Smoking package (for the power supply + cover)
Air vents painted
Vehicle key painted with key pouch in leather
Steering column casing in leather
Gear lever in carbon
BOSE surround sound

It's very easy top keep ticking boxes in the Porsche configurator!

I hope I don't need to add anything after my trip to Silverstone; I'm already well over my initial budget.

Kiernan fab specs :thumb: Makes mine sound like a cut down version, although I was very wary of going checkbox mad and ending up with £20k of options :floor:

Mines Manual as well... Specs
Miami Blue
Turbo S Wheels
Manual
SportDesign package
GTS Alcantara® package
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Smoking package
Bose

Kiernan said:
Cameo said:

Cheers for that. Agree about the gearbox - I did the 991.1 GTS intro event at Silverstone in 2015 and even then the gearbox then was much better than my 2013 car. I understand they've improved things even further, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Yes box is better than my 2013C2S Manual from my experiences at the PEC.

Nice spec.....although you're making my painted vents a less rare option :p

Palmball said:
Nice spec.....although you're making my painted vents a less rare option :p

Sorry, but I have to blame you for those. Hadn't even considered them until I saw your car and they just looked superb, so I just couldn't resist.

I have a feeling that this forum is going to cost me a lot of money, but hey, you can't take it with you.

Hi Kiernan,

Given the choice again, I think I would go -10mm instead of the standard -20mm for a GTS Coupe. It is definitely firmer than my 991.1 C4s was. In some aspects that is nice, esp when pushing on as it gives fantastic body control. But at low speeds (sub 30 mph) on poor surfaces it is harsher than I personally like cars to be. Not unbearably so, but more than I would really like.

My choice to go standard was based on driving a C4 GTS Cab... that felt perfect ride wise for my tastes and I checked and it was standard spec, but I hadn't realised that the Cab sits higher by default for a GTS. Doh. :nooo:

You live and learn!

Weejimmy.

Thanks for that; this is something I've been thinking about for a while.

I'm borrowing my dealers C4S on Saturday to try out the rear axle steering, and as far as I'm aware it's on the standard -10mm PASM suspension. If this handles to my expectations I may amend my order to the more comfortable set up. Personally, I'm not too keen on overly stiff suspension as I think in many cases, it can hinder decent progress as you're getting thrown around too much.

As I mentioned before, my brother has a 991.1 C4S and having driven it quite a lot recently, I find it an excellent compromise. The other thing is that the 991.1 GTS also came with -10mm as standard, and that received lots of positive reviews.

I'll let you know how Saturday goes (after qualifying of course).

Kiernan said:
Weejimmy.
The other thing is that the 991.1 GTS also came with -10mm as standard, and that received lots of positive reviews.

I drove a 991.1 GTS and found it no harsher than my 991.1 C4s. TBH I was so hoping that they would keep the 3.8 in the GTS as I loved the 991. version.

My only two gripes are an engine that is better is pretty much every way but less pleasurable to listen too ... and the firm ride.

In every other aspect the GTS is the better car and by quite a margin.

Hi Kiernan,

Very nice spec you have there.

I was concerned about the suspension too, and after driving both the Sport PASM and standard (-10) PASM I was convinced that I wanted the -10, the test drives also convinced me I wanted RearAxle Steering too, it's a very popular option that most owners feel is well worth having. I have also chose PDCC, it does it's job but isn't popular with all owners, I decided to have it with the -10 suspension to give extra body control, I haven't driven a car with that combo but I'm hoping they will work well together to give a more compliant ride combined with good stability on corners.

Hopped back in mine this morning after a day or two commuting on my road bike and it felt absolutely fine on roads I know well. If anything I felt it was better than my old C4s as has better control where the C4s would float a little.

As per another post, I did find that the rears were +9 PSI and the fronts +5 over the recommended comfort pressures. So maybe that is helping. Plus my memories of the C4s and its responses are beginning to fade.

Maybe it will become a little more supple with use? Only 230 miles on the clock ... filled it up for the first time this morning! Walking back to the car after paying the lowered stance really does look fab, much meaner and more hunkered down and the nose is much more defined than my C4s which was stock (so no aero kit) and a bit bulbous. The red really shinks the car versus the white and the -20mm help with that impression to.

Back on the fence!

:dont know:

Just a quick update having borrowed my OPC's C4S demonstrater for much of the day

Engine - Loved it. Still has a 911 sound whilst at the same time obviously a turbo. I thought it had plenty of grunt, even at the top end where many turbos run out of puff. Sure it sounded different to earlier 911's, but still a really nice sound. The GTS is supposed to sound better than the standard carrera, so it's a thumbs up from me. I also took my brother out for a spin (he's got a 991.1 C4S with the sports exhaust) and he also approved, so he knows what he's getting next; in fact, he was so taken with the spec of the demo car that he's asked me to see what they'd be looking at to trade his car against the demo when it comes onto the market.

Steering - Miles better than my M4, and really responsive. This may have been influenced by the next point.

Chassis - The rear axle steering was noticeable in some tight corners, and seemed to make the car more responsive. Not a night and day difference as the car is really good without it, but certainly worth the cost - that's now been added to the order.

The suspension is more of a moot point - the car was running the standard -10mm PASM and it felt really nice, verging on the supple on some roads. However, I felt in a couple of corners that it could do with a wee bit more control, so for the time being the -20mm is still on the order. The other thing is that I want the full-on GTS experience, so don't want to water it down unless necessary.

A couple of other things following my time with the car.

I'd originally ordered the carbon fibre gear lever which forces you to take the leather steering wheel. Whilst I love the GT steering wheel, I found the leather got a bit uncomfortable after some serious driving, so I've changed the order back to the standard alcantara wheel and gear lever. Hey, it's always good to reduce the cost wherever possible.....

However, I found the standard sun visors a bit cheap, and stood out against the alcantara headlining. Of course, Porsche can fix this for £291 by covering them in alcantara. They've now been added!

Other than that, really enjoyed my time with the car and the proper 'sports car' feel. I'm not going to start slagging off my M4 as I think it's a fantastic car, especially for the money, but the 911 just feels that much better.

Now just got to find out when Porsche can build me a car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back