Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What do you like most about your 993,

Albionmuz

Apart from the driving experience?

For me it's the drop dead gorgeous look of the car and the fact that it is so small against a modern Porsche 911, which to me look bloated in comparison. I don't care that they can leave a 993 for dead, loads of cars can do that.

Completely agree, the looks, especially from the rear and also looks so right when in motion,compared to modern 911's and modern Ferraris which look like pigs in comparison due to their ever increasing and completely unnecessary girth.
Also, in the case of Ferrari, their designers do not have the same eye for beauty that they had in the 1960's to 80's! And some of the modern design quirks seem merely ridiculous.
Anyhap, rant over.
A 993 smells good inside, feels so right and, if you don't use it all the time, feels like a special occasion when you do jump in and take it for a ride.

If I had to pick 1 it would be it's arse. Just love the look from behind.

Other things I love;
- sound the door makes when being closed
- interior smell
- quirky yet sold feel of the dials/switches
- sound
I could go on and on really :thumb:

Apart from the looks ......... it has to be the smell of the interior especially when I haven't opened the car door it for a few days ...... :)

I love the sound that only an air cooled car can make, with its complex interplay of treble, mid range and bass from the engine fan, engine, exhaust and cam chains.

The following:

- Way it's been made, door clunk and general solid feel
- It's air-cooled flat 6 naturally aspirated power/sound and bulletproof
- It's look from all angles but that rear is just sublime
- Quirky features inc old skool interior
- The fact you see very few on the road and everyone is interested
- The way they require a good fettle to keep in tip top order

This is actually an interesting thread for the simple reason that the 964 has certainly made ground if not overtaken the 993 as the Porsche enthusiasts air-cooled car of choice. This is reflected in the prices going through the roof for good 964 models now.

Trev

When you are sitting in it, with the engine idling, and you can feel the vibrations through the whole car.

So in no particular order:

Size of the car in general Including the rear seats which I do use for.....the dog and carrying humans occasionally and luggage space.

Sound, I love hearing the noise of it idling and being rung out.

The solid engineered, built from granite feel that tells you this car was built to last. That clunk of the door closing, it sounds like it will last forever...well apart form the bloody check-strap!

The fact the engine IS in the right place....which means it has a great arse...imagine if J-lows arse was in front of her...just plain wrong.

The look of the car, I have always liked the look of the air-cooled 911's and the 993 was the pinnacle for me of this design.
I also like that they are now classics and you do not see to many about.

Interior - I like that it is a design that you can follow back decades and those instruments infront of you are a design classic.

And...dare I say it...the cost to maintain is not as much as others expect. I think people assume that it costs a lot to service and maintain the cars as it is a sports car and seem to lump it in with other exotics. Christ I have had Audi's and BMW's that have cost me more.....

I can't however agree with the smell...at times the dog makes the small space an unbearable place to be....well it's the dog I blame at least...

The frisson experienced every time on climbing in and starting up

The difficulty of keeping speed down to 30 in camera zones (always makes me smile - having to change down two gears!)

The instant effortless quick changes of direction

The smooth easily modulated progressive braking from high speeds with no diving, jittering about or need for steering correction.

The feeling of having lots of everything in reserve at all times.

The noises, everything from a deep bass rumble to a hysterical shriek - it's like playing an instrument.

Three esses for me:
Size
Sound
Smell

I just love the size of it compared to modern cars. It's tiny in comparison but still has plenty of presence.

Maybe the sound helps add to the car's presence. I think I would have to get a Carrera GT V10 or, dare I say it, a Ferrari V8 to have a sound that I would like any better. I recently went out for a drive to the Hindhead tunnel just to hear the noise. :D

I was really unsure about the smell the first few times I went in a 993 and it nearly put me off of buying one. So glad it didn't because it's now one of things that adds to the whole experience. Funny how perceptions can change.

Add those three things to the looks and it's no wonder that I just can't envisage not having a 993 from hereon.

Cameltoe & Heel said:
The following:

- Way it's been made, door clunk and general solid feel
- It's air-cooled flat 6 naturally aspirated power/sound and bulletproof
- It's look from all angles but that rear is just sublime
- Quirky features inc old skool interior
- The fact you see very few on the road and everyone is interested
- The way they require a good fettle to keep in tip top order

This is actually an interesting thread for the simple reason that the 964 has certainly made ground if not overtaken the 993 as the Porsche enthusiasts air-cooled car of choice. This is reflected in the prices going through the roof for good 964 models now.

Trev

I agree- love the solid bullet proof feel.......I would be extremely reluctant to ever part with mine-
Have to agree about the 964 though- Dove House have a low mileage C2 964 up at £74,000 - what would that have been 5 yrs ago?

But anyway-the 993 is a beauty and Tony Hatter's piece de resistance

Plus, dependent on condition, you should be able to get back 25 bags for it :thumb:

That a driver of a 918 will come up to a 993 and want to talk about your car not his, reminiscing about the one he used to have. A sign that the car has real enduring character :thumbs:

Also I love the nimbleness of the short wheelbase.

I love the looks,especially from the rear. It just looks so squat,ready to pounce! The size ofcourse,the air cooled engine and I like that you don't meet one on every journey.

Attachments

• picture1_131.jpg
    picture1_131.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 6,476
the malleability of the chassis when you push it hard, cocooned around you & communicating every little sensation :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back