Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM head unit removal Help required

wingco

So first a bit of background. My high mileage 2005 997.1 3.6 c2 was purchased by me in Sept last year as a bucket list item having recently been diagnosed for the second time with gastric cancer. After nearly a year of chemo I received my second all clear in May. So I needed to make a decision about the 997, although a base model it had almost every item from the options list and was in reasonable condition so now with 98K on the clock I thought I had 2 alternatives sell it and perhaps buy something a little newer or have Hartech rebuild the engine, I chose the latter. The car runs beautifully and has already done nearly 1K miles since the rebuild.
So sods law arrives after a long weekend run to the Cotswolds on the way home the PCM started misbehaving, with odd error messages about route planning although not active at the time and the buttons and controls becoming inactive. I cleared itself and I explained it away blaming the heat.
However, on Monday it was totally bust rebooting constantly occasionally the radio would come on tuned to a random channel but would again reboot.
So I searched the web including this forum spoke to several 'experts" and the consensus was that it is fairly common problem expensive (circa £500) to repair and no long term warranty. This meant a decision was required and after research on the web I decided that the money was best spent on an upgrade and I chose a Dynavin with DAB and Apple Carplay.
Now the problem, the bits arrived this afternoon and I decided to make a start at installing the new kit, I had watched the videos and felt confident. Unfortunately that didn't last I have removed the small bits of carpet the side padded pieces and the problems, 3 of the 4 plastic snap locks came out stuck to the end of the allen key the remaining one just seems to turn and I can find no evidence of the locking bolts mentioned in the video, although the small pillars into which I believe they should fit are there but unoccupied. The head unit is firmly stuck no effort short of breaking it will move it at all. I have removed the climate control panel to allow leverage from the bottom but something is keeping it in place and I'm stuck as to what to do next.
To add insult to injury when I finally gave up and walked the dog, I replace the fuses I had removed at the start and the PCM sprang into life fully functional, but I've spent the money an still plan to go ahead so I need some ideas on what must be the reason for the head unit being impossible to remove.
Help required

Thanks for the reply there is no sign of the locking screw on either side of my unit there are plastic pillars which look like they have had a screw fitted previously

Update

Spent this morning rewatching the you tube video the sole remaining plastic tab has now also come out on the end of the Allen key so all 4 are now in the ashtray careful examination reveals no locking bolts and the collars in the housing that should have located them have been probed and are clear. But it still won't move. Short of dismantling the entire centre console does anybody have a suggestion. As an aside I took the car for a decent run early this morning and the PCM still works perfectly so if you have a rebooting issue with yours try pulling the 2 fuses before you lash out on a replacement or expensive repair.
I guess hindsight is the only exact science!

Hi All,
Found a really useful article on planet 9 the black plastic studs are part of the PCM and compress a spring each which holds the unit to the mounting bracket so they need to be installed. However the spring clips can be pushed in with a flat blade screwdriver an the PCM eased out. So the jobs done, the unit is out, so now some lunch and cut the lawns before the replacement install.

For future reference I found pushing in the clips allowed the plastic locking studs to be rotated by finger end thus removing the risk of collateral damage with the allenkey particularly on the drivers side.

Looking forward to the install and listening to TMS during the summer expensive solution to the only real issue I had with the PCM bring back long wave!!

Thanks for sharing, I admire your persistence both with that and beating cancer for the second time :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back