Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 PCM and iPod Classic

weejimmy

Looks like my old faithful 5th gen iPod classic doesn't work with the new PCM. Doh. Anyone know what gen iPod or iOS is required for PCM to recognise an iPod via the glovebox USB? Mine flat doesn't show. The wife's is a later 6th Gen and it sees it as an iPod but doesn't list any tracks. I generally rip to ALAC (apples lossless) so I'm unsure if that is a factor.

Car play and Bluetooth audio are fine, but I like my old iPod as a backup when the newer tech and streaming suffers brain farts!

Why don't you drag all your music onto an SD card and stick it in the slot.
It can just live in the car then, or am I missing something?

VAP said:

Nope. Probably not. I just wanted to use my iPod that has served me so well in a couple of e92 M3 Coupes and my 991.1 C4s, just quietly doing its thing, but is seems its too out of date for PCM4.

Anyway, I just stuffed some FLAC albums on a USB drive, put that it the glovebox connection and then copied it to the Jukebox. Worked well plus being FLAC they are lossless so sound great.

Will investifate SD Cards. I dont have one to hand so would need to buy one, but I like the fact PCM4 can play FLAC as that's what my main system in the house plays, so I've always ripped twice - to ALAC for the iPod and FLAC for the house. I know, I know. Ripping is so old school, but from time to time Spotify cant get a signal, locks up etc.

weejimmy said:
VAP said:

Nope. Probably not. I just wanted to use my iPod that has served me so well in a couple of e92 M3 Coupes and my 991.1 C4s, just quietly doing its thing, but is seems its too out of date for PCM4.

Anyway, I just stuffed some FLAC albums on a USB drive, put that it the glovebox connection and then copied it to the Jukebox. Worked well plus being FLAC they are lossless so sound great.

Will investifate SD Cards. I dont have one to hand so would need to buy one, but I like the fact PCM4 can play FLAC as that's what my main system in the house plays, so I've always ripped twice - to ALAC for the iPod and FLAC for the house. I know, I know. Ripping is so old school, but from time to time Spotify cant get a signal, locks up etc.

:thumb:

SD cards are cheap, I've got one which is 64GB although I've only got about 40GB stuff on it, keep meaning to put more.
All my music is my own CDs which I've simply put on iTunes etc. I don't bother at all with downloading from the web.

SD card works beautifully. Thanks for that! :thumbs:

I have one 64Gb full to the brim with nice lossless .FLAC file, a second ready to go, plus the on board Jukebox full (also .FLAC), plus Spotify streaming via Apple Car play, or Bluetooth and DAB to listen to Test Match Special.

So the Burmester is now doing it's stuff!

iPod? What iPod?

Happy boy! :thumb:

PS - Only one negative, why do they set the volume graduations so that you can only use at max 1/3rd of the range and with increments that are hugely different. Why not use the full scale and allow people more accurate control of the volume. Was VERY annoying in my 991.1, the .2 GTS seems a little better and it feels like the roller on the steering wheel gives better granularity than the volume dial on PCM, but it still seems crazy to me. I have wondered if its a Burmester specific issue with more power amps?

OMG! the Burmester system in my car is by far and away the best I have ever had in a car that I have owned, blow away by it.

However it does not like 128gb USB drives. Loaded a lot of Flac files onto one but wouldn't play, does play in my Ford van though!!
Put some on a 1gb USB drive and no problem. Did I mention how good it sounds? Wow!.

Someone else mentioned issues with 128Gb SD cards I think - which is why I went for 64Gb. So maybe its an indexing issues on larger sources.

I haven't plugged the second 64Gb SD card in yet so I don't know if it shows them as a single source, or two on PCM.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back