Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic S gearbox

A993LAD said:
mashby said:
Here's a photo of the certificate of authenticity which gives build date of 10 Nov 93 and also shows Tiptronic S gearbox as optional equipment.

Why would anybody get a certificate of authenticity for a 993? I've never seen one before and always thought they were for much older cars where the history could have been lost in the mists of time.

If I was buying a 993 and the vendor produced a Porsche CoA to validate it was what it purported to be it would just make me suspicious as to why it even needed one.

Well some 993 are 24 years old, and there are no doubt some very dodgy ones out there, and with values as high as they are, I think it would not be a bad idea, as a bit of extra 'proof' that a car was what it was supposed to be? I haven't got a CofA for mine... but then I'm not selling it just yet, but I see why one might have one... This one is puzzling though isn't it, as it definitely suggests there was 'tipronic s' in '93.

A long-standing member of PCGB (who was one of the register secretaries I think) once told me that the COAs quite often have innacuracies within them and are not to be relied upon when buying a car.

I've never quite seen the point of them after that.

madge said:
A long-standing member of PCGB (who was one of the register secretaries I think) once told me that the COAs quite often have innacuracies within them and are not to be relied upon when buying a car.

I've never quite seen the point of them after that.

I've heard this too. Thankfully mine seems correct, and I only asked for it as it was FOC.

However even if the certificate is wrong ....... how the heck has a guy got a tip S if such a thing didn't exist in 1993?

The mind boggles ...... :D

So it looks like the CoA is incorrect then. I only got it because it was free too.
It also looks like I've got the wrong steering wheel but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. :dont know:

A993LAD said:
Why would anybody get a certificate of authenticity for a 993?

:hand: It's required for Illuminati membership.

Correct '95 model year was TiptronicS.

Are Tiptronic cheaper than 'S'. Indeed there is a scalable factor to be applied as the 'auto' option is a good few bags short of a manual :roll:

But actually it's not a bad gearbox and (excluding PDK which is the finest gearbox known to man) I'd rather have 4 speeds than the 7/8 speed variants :what:

mashby said:
So it looks like the CoA is incorrect then. I only got it because it was free too.
It also looks like I've got the wrong steering wheel but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. :dont know:

Do the buttons on the steering wheel actually work? If so then happy days.

They do indeed. :thumb:
I had seen other 993 Tips without buttons but thought maybe it was optional extra when new.

Do you have the option code 432 (Steering wheel with tiptronic control) on your options sticker?

:?:

How bizarre to have an incorrect certificate, and the wrong steering wheel.

I wonder if a previous owner read the COA, thought oh ***** my cars been butchered so installed the S spec ...... not realising it was the certificate all along that was wrong :grin:

The more I think of it, the more intriguing it becomes.

Just looked and it doesn't have 432 on the option sticker.
It looks like it must have been retro fitted at some point so mystery solved.

Porsche offered the tiptronic s steering wheel and other bits you needed as a kit, so if you wanted to upgrade your tiptronic to an S then you could.
Mine is a early 1994 no buttons, but easy to retro fit or with flappy paddles as some have done.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back