Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service History Question

bh500

Bought a 62 plate 991 from a Porsche dealer 5 weeks ago. I glanced at the service book at handover but didn't take too much notice of the service history thinking Porsche would be scrupulous about such things if putting a 2 year warranty on it.
Noticed yesterday that the car was registered in Dec 12 and has only had one service in Oct 15 at 16000 miles. Now has 31000 so not due a service but I'm a little worried about:
1- will any warranty work be honoured if there is such a large gap in the history?
2- can I really say when I sell this car in future that it has a FSH?
3- should the dealer be retailing a car that missed it's first service by a year?

Dealer hasn't returned my call yet. Would be good to have some advice before speaking to them tomorrow.

Have you bought from OPC and does it have the 2yr warranty? If so it's not a problem.

If OPC have sold it then it would be unusual for them to retail a car that didn't accord with manufacturer recommendations. Shouldn't a 991 'inform' the owner when it's due a service on a days/miles calculation in any event?

Are there any invoices/receipts for that service to show what was done? Could it have had a service but not stamped?

Yes it's from one of the Porsche owned OPCs and has the 2 year warranty. Only 1 stamp in the book, no invoices or receipts. It may have had a non-dealer service at 2 years old but if I have no proof of that....

Although the car had obviously exceeded the 2 year interval it had not exceeded the mileage required so I suspect that they were able to get agreement from Allianz - the OPC warranty provider - for a warranty to be allowed.

I'm surprised however that this was authorised without a major service being done beforehand so would insist that a major service and applicable stamp is done NOW.

That way it has the two stamps in the book that the owner of a 5 year old car would expect and it can be seen that these were c16k apart.

Going forward I would expect the above to be totally acceptable to any future buyer. NB: I say this as a likely future buyer of a 7-8 year old 991.

Thanks T8
Problem is I bought it from a dealer 400 miles from me- returning for a service isn't an option and I very much doubt they will pay for a different dealer to do it. Glad to hear it wouldn't put you off but honestly, I would have walked away if I'd known.

It can be serviced by ANY OPC. The work is valid for the warranty if you use an OPC for the work and of course they will only use genuine Porsche parts.

Have you called the OPC you bought it from and posed the question ?

Call up warranty claims line and ask if the vehicle is covered.

If no, return under sales of goods act and probably trade descriptions.

Eventually got a return call from the OPC today. They confirmed there is no record of any other service and the car has indeed only had 1 service at 3 years old. But the "warranty manager says it will be fine". When I asked for something in writing to that effect I got lots of umms and aahs and "I'll get someone to phone you back tomorrow".

Called another OPC- they were surprised the other OPC had retailed the car and that the warranty underwriter hadn't specified a major service at the point of sale- it seemed a bit risky to warrant a 4.5 year old car that has only had one service.

Have been unsuccessful in finding a number to phone the warranty claims line- apparently all done by the dealer online.

Will await the call tomorrow (but wont hold my breath)

:?: :?:
Strange behaviour from the OPC considering how pedantic the whole Porsche system is in getting warranty extension through the 111 point check.

Very strange behaviour. Out of interest which OPC is this as someone may have contacts on here to chime in.

Yes- I know they are very pedantic. I do a biggish mileage, 30k a year, and I guess have a more than even chance of needing the warranty. I paid the OPC premium to make sure if something goes pop that I wont be paying for it (I have a 996 for that pleasure). I can be quite certain, with an Insurance backed warranty, that they will do their very best to decline a claim.

Will be happy with a letter of comfort from the warranty underwriter. If the OPC ponies up for a service that will be a bonus. I also need to accept my own stupidity for not checking it all first.

Cheers for all the help folks. Will update the post when I can

If you have the paper certificate of the 2 years warranty is this not enough?

I don't have any stamps on my book (2014 car owned from new), it is all electronically recorded at OPC.

Having left countless messages for the salesman that were never returned I eventually emailed the dealer principal yesterday. The sales manager called back immediately.
When I first enquired about the problem the service department confirmed that they checked the electronic service records and only one service had been carried out at 2 years and 10 months old. The sales manager has looked further and the system now shows a major service was carried out at 28k the week before I picked up the car. It was carried out at the preparation centre where the car had various other things rectified prior to being sold as an approved car.
I was initially a little sceptical but the onboard service indicator correlates with that exactly. He apologised the book wasn't stamped and I have to post it to them for updating.
Good news and zero to worry about now. Could have been sorted weeks ago if the original salesman had only bothered to return my calls.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back