Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 rear silencer seam corroded

dombo

Silverstone
As per the title, the seam on my 2003 996 C2 o/s silencer box is corroded. It doesn't seem to be blowing but I have noticed other cars have had some sort of welding or other fix to the seam. Is this something that can be done DIY eg with Holts Gun Gum and bandage or similar, otherwise if the silencers need replacing what do others recommend? I don't want louder than original or any sort of switchable. I have heard conflicting views on Dansk so any other recommendations welcome and thanks in advance.

Corrosion on the seam is a common problem.

Your options depend on a number of things.
You could take the box off yourself and if the corrosion isn't too bad a local fabrication shop would probably be able to repair at a reasonable cost. You would also need new joints as the old ones will more than likely be seized and corroded.

You could source a second hand replacement box from a breaker and buy a new fitting kit in stainless steel and fit yourself.

As for new boxes. Topgear get a lot of recommendations and have excellent customer support where as Dansk don't seem to care.

Lots of sound clips on YouTube for various boxes and loads of threads on the forum about them.

At the end of the day cost will be the deciding factor.

Good luck I'm sure others will be along with further advice.

The seams on mine are also corroded.
Mine are the switchable PSE variants.
How would I go about swapping because the noise you get with the PSE is so distinctive. Probably better just to get the seams repaired??

I have the same issue on my C4S PSE.

What I intend to do is remove it and fit a Milltek exhaust (I won a competition on PistonHeads :D )

The PSE I try to get repaired and then refitted one day.
I think the car will loose a bit of value without the OEM PSE.

996 C2 exhaust

Hi all, I just had exhaust done on my 996 C2 (1998).
The seam on passenger side box was flagged as a recommended on MOT, but failed totally within weeks.
As I had a budget to keep to, I went for the Design Tech back boxes and headers which were also rusted, from Design 911 in Essex.
Initially I was disappointed as the exhaust was too quiet at low revs, and very 'tinny' sounding- but after around 500 miles it definitely changed to a much lower tone deeper growl- I love it now. Seems to me they just need run in and a good coat of carbon!
Unfortunately there was no noticeable increase in power.
The cost for pair of back boxes, pair of headers and fitting kits was around £850, and I got a local Indy to due the install for about £400. The labour cost mostly down to bolts welding themselves and shearing off, even if heated.
I kept all removed parts, if your failed back box is drivers side, you are in luck! It looked newer and was in good condition compared to split one!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back