Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance - 997.2 Turbo with Business use...

v8fettler

Hi Chaps,

Well after reading through all the comments on Insurance, I decided to just ring round everyone, as there isn't a clear consensus to who is best etc.

This is the first Porsche I've owned, and the first car that cost so much (£75k), so I'm learning many new things in this process, one of which is that certain insurers 'Google' you, and 'Google Earth' where you live!
:eek: :eek: :hand:

I've spoken to pretty much all the insurers mentioned, apart from those that don't run phone lines after 5pm (Seriously??? I'm working during the day!), and its surprising how many won't do ANY business use. All I wanted was 1,000miles a year, for when my customer in the Lakes invites me up, or I want to go round the South Coast drumming up business, I don't want to 'not' be able to take the Porsche. Plus I often just nip out to get stuff, and I know I'll forget I'm in the Porsche one day, and you can guarantee that'll be the day I disappear under a truck!

So, I can't use Footman James, Carol Nash, and LV won't cover the Turbo full stop. Direct Line or Admiral won't do agreed value, but Direct Line will allow you to take it to Porsche if it needs work, under the dubious caveat of 'We'll inspect the invoice' (I thought they'd routinely inspect all invoices??)

So, you've guessed it, I'm left with AIB!! (Well, Hiscox).

It's a product called 'High Net Worth' policy, which sounds far more up its own @rse than it needs to be really. I'm probably not a HNW individual (Depends on which criteria you use), so I don't really like the title much, but what it does do is give a very good level of cover.
I can drive anyone else's car with their permission fully comp (irrelevant of value I believe), anyone above 30yrs Old can drive mine fully comp with my permission. Agreed value, so no arguing about Market Values, Fixed anywhere you want, AAA Gold Level Breakdown (not sure what that is yet), Like for like courtesy car, Legal cover etc.

The Price £1500 (36yrs old, 10+NCB [which they ignore anyway], nice enough area, on the drive, 5,000mpa)

But.......

If I put two of my other cars with them (Mini & Rav4), it drops to below £800! (all things being like for the other two cars).

I had the other two on a Multicar policy too, so they were discounted slightly already. I'm struggling to find anyone else to match the policy, or at least provide the Agreed Value and Porsche Garage to fix, along with some element of business use.

So, if any of you guys have a 997 Turbo, and use it for work, who do you use? And Ive still not touched on Track use, none of the ones I spoke to got near mentioning Track use, which would be handy, just for the odd time I might have a blast (Brother-in-Law lives 2 mins from Silverstone)

Thanks!

£800 quid a year for all three looks pretty good value ? think for 1000miles business use I would have been keeping stum

Surely normal Insurance covers you "too and from a place of work" and its just that your place of work will be in the lakes some times?

If you had a prang in the lakes - weren't you just there to enjoy the views?

Not sure why you need business use.

Sorry Chaps, not quite clear in my description, but the £800 is the additional cost over and above the costs of the Rav4 and Mini where I am now, total is £1700ish. I do have 5 named drivers, including a fellow Director (unrelated) and the wife who's 32, with only 10 years driving.

With regards to Business use, I've seen a few friends fall foul, there's nothing like an Insurance underwriter to go digging if they can save themselves a £75k payout!!!

I've also had a huge argument over £400k of Tooling that was stolen from our subcontractor, and that came down to proving that it wasn't in our care at the time, which would be a similar argument as to whether I was driving for work or not, proving that I wasn't working when I've just binned it.

Bare in mind, the insurer's may be called by someone other than myself, i.e. Police Attending, Family, other cars involved etc, there's no guarantee they wont mention I was working, if hospitalized or simply forget in the trauma of it, who's to say I don't slip up and mention work. All calls recorded etc. Simply not worth the risk, and I bough the car to enjoy, not to sweat about Insurance whenever I'm driving.

I have had a car on no business before, my father sorted the Insurance, and I'd get into a cold sweat whenever he sent me anywhere for work. its just not worth the worry for £200.

This sounds like the four-figure sum I was quoted - the High Net Worth Policy when I enquired a couple of years back.
I declined and renewed with my insurer for around £400.

cant help with a nomination as I don't use mine for work.

But I wont be visiting AIB again until the next passing of Haley's Comet.

Try ringing Aviva. I used to have mine with them including business use.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back