Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Massive white smoke - AOS or bore scoring?

Beej160

Hi guys

I need your help.
Driving along on Sunday and massive white smoke appears out of both exhausts. Smells of oil although looks a lot like steam.

Pull over, towed home, now deciding on what it is where to send it to.

Started engine and tried to pull oil cap off, impossible. Stopped then unscrewed oil cap, started engine and only feel a slight vacuum.

Engine sounds OK to me. What do you think it could be?

Cheers

That's AOS, and exactly the same symptoms I had when mine went. Don't run the engine any more until it's fixed as the oil is getting sucked out of your sump and into your inlet tract in massive quantities. It can be enough to hydraulically lock a piston and bend a con-rod and you'll be into major expense if that happens.

Pay a Porsche indie to replace it for you unless you're a masochist with the arms of a four year old.

What is the state of the coolant header tank contents?

Thanks Martin, I suspected the AOS too.
Anyone else out there who thinks it's something else?

GT4 - the coolant looks fine and at the correct level.

Martin996RSR said:
That's AOS, and exactly the same symptoms I had when mine went. Don't run the engine any more until it's fixed as the oil is getting sucked out of your sump and into your inlet tract in massive quantities. It can be enough to hydraulically lock a piston and bend a con-rod and you'll be into major expense if that happens.

Pay a Porsche indie to replace it for you unless you're a masochist with the arms of a four year old.

:agree:

I have actually seen a Boxster hydraulic because of a failed AOS .. VERY messy !!

Definitely sounds like the AOS, had similar symptoms on my boxster before I changed it out. Make sure you clean out all the intake and the throttle body. I changed my AOS but didn't do this and it continued to smoke and after going back in and stripping the intake I could see why it was full of oil. Cleaned out and no more smoke.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've booked it in with my indy, will be a few weeks before he can see it so will update with the result.

Cheers!

bring fat wallet.. It's pretty much an engine out job for the 'tip :sad:
Unless you know Mr Tickle :hand:

Lol, the fat wallet is soon going on a crash diet!

So £750 lighter, the AOS is replaced and all is well!

It was all worth it, driving back home :)

Marky911 said:
Good result. Bit of a bill but could be worse. :thumb:

It's funny really that we think any bill less than a grand is getting away with it! What a lucky bunch we are.

Glad the cars sorted.

My implication was that once I got back behind the wheel again after 2 weeks off the road, the pleasure it gave me was worth the pain, even as that bill was pretty painful, trust me!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back