Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 911 is going...

JoePeps said:
A 911 has been my realistic dream car to own for a very long time and thanks to a bit of luck from an old pension I managed/forced myself to buy one at 27. But after some long thinking I've decided to go back to a BMW, a manual M2.

Ended up going for a gen 2 997 C2S PDK with a lot of very good options from Porsche in Nottingham, was over the moon when I bought it but quickly realised I was never quite gelling with the car like I wanted to and as much as I tried to force myself to love it after 8 months I decided it had to go, far too expensive to not love it every time I start it up.

What will I miss:

- the looks, such a pretty car
- the interior is lovely
- waking up to the view of a 911 on my drive

What I won't miss:

- PDK
- too much grip
- not having fun
- ride quality
- road noise

It just has too much grip for the power and you have to drive like a complete idiot to push the limits and that's too much on the road. Had I bought a manual I would probably have fallen in love as it would be a bit easier to play with the back end at low speed for my abilities. It also never sounded as good as it needed to for me, it has the sports exhaust but coming from a V8 with a modified exhaust it was never going to cut the mustard for me.

I've learnt that everytime I've sold an M3 (2 x E46's & 1 x E90) that I've always regretted it and ended up going back down that route, so I'm hoping instead of swapping cars so much I'll be happy with the M2 as it should tick the boxes that I want it to. Seriously looking forward to a manual again as it just feels so much more natural to me.

Cost was always going to be a big factor when buying something like this, and I hoped that it wouldn't be 'too' bad to run but went into it with my eyes open. Fuel wise it has averaged 21mpg over the last 4k miles, which is about right as I've not really been bothered about driving it for fun and going for a thrash, however today I got an average of 12mpg over 40 miles having one last thrash, and I did enjoy it strangely! I have lost about £5k from buying it to PX'ing it in, including interest on the finance; and that's over 8 months and 5500 miles. Other than fuel and tax I've not spent a penny elsewhere. A lot of cash to lose but it has ticked a dream box for me and I'm happy enough with that.

A few final pics from earlier:

An interesting view point, which I respect.

I can see where you're coming from OP. The wife has a BMW M240i cabrio. Fast, nice, but I HATE the auto smg shifty box thing, even in manual mode, just isn't right for me. My 997.1 C2S cab is a manual, and for me, manual is the only way. The purity of being able to change exactly when I want to using a mechanical thing, instead of a paddle or shifter in alleged manual mode, is key to the enjoyment. I also hear you about being able to push the car to it's limit, you just can't do that on public roads because they are so capable. Love mine, and will keep it for a long time I think and add more cars instead of changing it. It's my daily driver, but love a classic so next on the list are MGB Roadster and/or a porsche 914 which I love the look of in a good colour like orange or lime green. I have a list of cars I'd like to own and add to it all the time :) Much more important to me than having a new Turbo S etc, I like to own things, not finance them, so £10k for a good MGB roadster or £15k for a 914 is much better use of my money.

resigner said:
I can see where you're coming from OP. The wife has a BMW M240i cabrio. Fast, nice, but I HATE the auto smg shifty box thing, even in manual mode, just isn't right for me. My 997.1 C2S cab is a manual, and for me, manual is the only way. The purity of being able to change exactly when I want to using a mechanical thing, instead of a paddle or shifter in alleged manual mode, is key to the enjoyment. I also hear you about being able to push the car to it's limit, you just can't do that on public roads because they are so capable. Love mine, and will keep it for a long time I think and add more cars instead of changing it. It's my daily driver, but love a classic so next on the list are MGB Roadster and/or a porsche 914 which I love the look of in a good colour like orange or lime green. I have a list of cars I'd like to own and add to it all the time :) Much more important to me than having a new Turbo S etc, I like to own things, not finance them, so £10k for a good MGB roadster or £15k for a 914 is much better use of my money.

Hang on - You want an MGB thingy or a 914 can we explore this in more detail :floor:

Why is that funny? As a weekend classic to burble to the odd classic show, yeah dam right. Let me show you the full list :)

Porsche 918 Spider
Ferrari 488 Spider
XK150 Roadster/DHC
Classic 911 1973 RSR evocation
Ferrari 355 spider
Fiat Dino Cabrio
Daily Drive Porsche 991 C2S cab
Alvis TE21 Drophead
C type replica (Suffolk)
Lotus Esprit V8
Morgan Roadster
VW Karman Ghia
VW Camper
MGA Roadster
Fiat 124 Spider
Lotus Elan classic
MGB Roadster
Outlaw Boxster
BMW M3
Golf Mk1 GTI
TVR S3
Lotus Elan SE
MG Midget debumpered
triumph herald 13/60 convertible
Golf MK1 GTI Cabrio
Porsche 944 cabrio

Daily driver, something like what I have now, but need to work my way through that list......

davidjf7 said:
Alfaian said:
If you don't like a 911 you're either a) can't afford to run it or b) gay :grin:

:grin:

It's weird, but it took quite a while for me to totally gel with my 997.2 C2S PDK. I've had it for 4 years now and am deeply in love with it.

Maybe 8m wasn't enough? :dont know:

Auto just isn't for me mate, I appreciate they are superior in almost everyway, but I just like manuals more.
I've had quite a few in different cars and just can't get on with them.

8 months is a long time for me to keep a car....!

911UK said:
JoePeps said:
A 911 has been my realistic dream car to own for a very long time and thanks to a bit of luck from an old pension I managed/forced myself to buy one at 27. But after some long thinking I've decided to go back to a BMW, a manual M2.

Ended up going for a gen 2 997 C2S PDK with a lot of very good options from Porsche in Nottingham, was over the moon when I bought it but quickly realised I was never quite gelling with the car like I wanted to and as much as I tried to force myself to love it after 8 months I decided it had to go, far too expensive to not love it every time I start it up.

What will I miss:

- the looks, such a pretty car
- the interior is lovely
- waking up to the view of a 911 on my drive

What I won't miss:

- PDK
- too much grip
- not having fun
- ride quality
- road noise

It just has too much grip for the power and you have to drive like a complete idiot to push the limits and that's too much on the road. Had I bought a manual I would probably have fallen in love as it would be a bit easier to play with the back end at low speed for my abilities. It also never sounded as good as it needed to for me, it has the sports exhaust but coming from a V8 with a modified exhaust it was never going to cut the mustard for me.

I've learnt that everytime I've sold an M3 (2 x E46's & 1 x E90) that I've always regretted it and ended up going back down that route, so I'm hoping instead of swapping cars so much I'll be happy with the M2 as it should tick the boxes that I want it to. Seriously looking forward to a manual again as it just feels so much more natural to me.

Cost was always going to be a big factor when buying something like this, and I hoped that it wouldn't be 'too' bad to run but went into it with my eyes open. Fuel wise it has averaged 21mpg over the last 4k miles, which is about right as I've not really been bothered about driving it for fun and going for a thrash, however today I got an average of 12mpg over 40 miles having one last thrash, and I did enjoy it strangely! I have lost about £5k from buying it to PX'ing it in, including interest on the finance; and that's over 8 months and 5500 miles. Other than fuel and tax I've not spent a penny elsewhere. A lot of cash to lose but it has ticked a dream box for me and I'm happy enough with that.

A few final pics from earlier:

An interesting view point, which I respect.

Thanks.
As said we can't all like the same things :D

resigner said:

Thanks mate.
Saw your car list, you're mental and I love it. I'd be scared how any cars I'd have if I ever came into reasonable money.

I was always the same ref finance, but I can see the advantages if you go into it with your eyes open. I could buy the 911 or M2 cash but money in other places suits me more, plus the monthly payment isn't life changing.

I love cars and bikes, so spend a good chunk on them which I'm fine with, they're not investments and I don't treat them like it, and I can stand to lose a few quid here and there to enjoy it. I know plenty of people who spend thousands a year just to play golf and that to me is mental!

The list keeps me going on the hard days when work is mad, my own business, but mad and stressful! I aim to have a classic or 2 at all times when circumstances (and the wife!) permit.

resigner said:
The list keeps me going on the hard days when work is mad, my own business, but mad and stressful! I aim to have a classic or 2 at all times when circumstances (and the wife!) permit.

I can relate.

A mate of mine has a lovely 325 cabrio as a daily and an even lovelier Tvr chimera in his garage.

5.0 litre V8 . It's like flying a spitfire with the noise :thumb:

JoePeps said:
Thanks.

A Porsche isn't for everyone and that's more than just the image

You're are owning a motoring thoroughbred which is going to be an engineered sports car every day of the year, without compromise. It will always be able accelerate/handle a lap of a track, fast A/B road or a vmax out at a moments notice for all of it's life, whilst retaining a reasonable market value.

Whereas the main stream manufacturers offer more comfortable car, often with more power in what is a compromised less capable Sports Cars that caters for a broader market. Which is why they sell x100 in terms of volumes for much lower cost when the engineering excellence isn't needed.

Porsche, there is no substitute.

911UK said:
JoePeps said:
Thanks.

You're are owning a motoring thoroughbred which is going to be an engineered sports car every day of the year, without compromise. It will always be able accelerate/handle a lap of a track, fast A/B road or a vmax out at a moments notice for all of it's life, whilst retaining a reasonable market value.

Whereas the main stream manufacturers offer more comfortable car, often with more power in what is a compromised less capable Sports Cars that caters for a broader market. Which is why they sell x100 in terms of volumes for much lower cost when the engineering excellence isn't needed.

I agree and couldn't have put it better :worship:

It's as if I wrote this myself, I had a 997.2 3.8s with the PDK, but couldn't fall in love with it, after my M3 V8, I sold back in March with a few £K loss, and purchased an M4 although with the DCT which my M3 had, I've fallen in love with the car and don't have any regrets, and like you said that box has been ticked :thumb:

911UK said:
JoePeps said:
Thanks.

Did you get that straight from the owners manual?!

effy said:
It's as if I wrote this myself, I had a 997.2 3.8s with the PDK, but couldn't fall in love with it, after my M3 V8, I sold back in March with a few £K loss, and purchased an M4 although with the DCT which my M3 had, I've fallen in love with the car and don't have any regrets, and like you said that box has been ticked :thumb:

Nice to hear I'm not the only 'mad' person in the world!

JoePeps said:
davidjf7 said:
Alfaian said:
If you don't like a 911 you're either a) can't afford to run it or b) gay :grin:

:grin:

It's weird, but it took quite a while for me to totally gel with my 997.2 C2S PDK. I've had it for 4 years now and am deeply in love with it.

Maybe 8m wasn't enough? :dont know:

Auto just isn't for me mate, I appreciate they are superior in almost everyway, but I just like manuals more.
I've had quite a few in different cars and just can't get on with them.

8 months is a long time for me to keep a car....!

I've only ever had manuals and this is my first 'auto'. Was persuaded by the OPC salesman and I don't regret it.

Do you have the sports chrono package (with sports and sport + modes) and paddles? I think you need both of these to help not miss a manual box too much.

Maybe it's my age though, now I'm the wrong side of 40 :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back