Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New C4 GTS

Palmball

For those not on Pistonheads to read my post there, here is my new 991.2 C4 GTS....after what feels like an eternal wait.

Here's a few first impressions after the first few miles....

- It looks spectacular and I'm very happy with the Carmine Red colour choice. Love the ride height and stance, although the -20mm option is VERY low. So much so that I'm going to need to be careful over speed bumps and even going into my drive (admittedly on an unfinished road) it just touches the ground in the middle of the car. In this respect it seems to ride much lower than the R8 did. One of the few boxes I didn't tick was the £1.5k axle lift system, mainly because it was yet another expensive option but also because I'd probably forget to use it!

- The interior quality and level of personalisation sets a new high benchmark for me. The various leather/stitching options have come out really nice and I'm delighted with the painted air vents (with their somewhat preposterously leather covered slats!)

- I reckon it sounds FAN-bloody-TASTIC. I get why some die-hard 911 aficionados might be a bit 'meh' about it as yes, it is a different sound. But different doesn't equate to inferior. It still retains a proper 911 howl, but it's deeper (and arguably more refined-sounding) than the old N/A. As good as the V10 in my previous R8? Probably not, but then it's so different it can't really be compared. I didn't miss the V10 sound in the 987 Boxster I bought as a temporary smoker, so I'm not going to miss it now.

- Power delivery is good, and it feels very fast. Even in the context of the 610bhp R8, simply because that needed revs all the time. This just goes hard at any revs, so I would argue in day to day situations on UK roads, at worst it's as fast as the R8. In my opinion, it's still obviously a turbocharged engine....some comments suggest it feels N/A but it's far too strong for that and yes, there is some momentary lag low down. But the lag is only really noticeable in the standard driving mode; it's so well managed in Sport mode that it MUST have some kind of anti-lag system working away in the background. Throttle response is good, again not 100% N/A sharp (I'd give it 98% to the R8's 100%), but you'd have to be on some kind of OCD-spectrum for it to bother you.

- It feels surreal in bends. I'm conscious PDCC is not liked by all but I don't like the feeling of body roll so I do rate the system. The combination of PDCC and 4WS makes it feel somewhat invincible.

- The ride is fairly 'robust' though! Actually, it's just very hard, but at least it's very well controlled. Honestly, if the GT cars are materially stiffer than this then it's a good job I can't get one as they're not for me! In it's softest setting, it's materially harder than the R8 was in it's firmest setting.

- I debated the value of the Burmester option in the Macan and Cayenne, mainly because it was quite a bright sounding system in those cars (although on hearing the crappy Bose in the 718 my wife has just bought, I would still go for Burmester again and again). In the 911 there's no such concerns; it's a good sounding upgrade and if you do like to listen to music, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

DSC07622_zpsakdkcdtp.jpg

DSC07624_zps7cbjwezl.jpg

DSC07620_zps3qkyzdwm.jpg

DSC07618_zpsfjitxgjm.jpg

DSC07626_zpsmf6kp1ow.jpg

DSC07639_zpsm6j0tcy9.jpg

DSC07642_zpscz9qkug7.jpg

DSC07643_zpsekqt6zq7.jpg

DSC07652_zpsutulzwri.jpg

DSC07646_zpstv164suq.jpg

DSC07644_zpsfwbpnf0g.jpg

DSC07647_zps6l3wgzo0.jpg

DSC07648_zpsrdqorbat.jpg

DSC07653_zpsdiab5lhm.jpg

DSC07660_zpskma97xx6.jpg

DSC07662_zpsuxivswcb.jpg

DSC07663_zpsktfoj6nw.jpg

DSC07665_zpsv2pjhwpf.jpg

:worship:

:envy:

It looks stunning :thumbs:

Wow!! :eek:

That looks so good, congrats :thumb:

Lovely. Getting very excited about getting my carmine C4 GTS now! Hoping to get it this week.

Interesting comments re the ride. I found the R8 very firm versus my C4s so I am surprised you think the GTS is even harder than the R8. That's my only reservation though.

I did check the axle lift so we'll see how that goes. I was worried by the lower ride height as I have to deal with a lot of speed humps, plus I thought it would add some theatre!

I also specced Burmester. Love it on my C4s and wasn't for missing out this time.

Your car looks stunning! Seen it on PH and come on here there it is again!

The suspension is something I was a little concerned about after the C4S I test drove had the same -20 Sport PASM, it was OK on most roads but left me feeling it was a little too hard so I decided to choose the -10 PASM on mine, also have PDCC and RWS. I'm hoping I have just a little more compliancy with good body control. The car is due in late July, getting closer now so really excited.

Stunner.

Super car, I like the red with a few yellow bits scattered around, bit of colour on the inside really lifts the interior.

I'm surprised you think it's a hard ride: my GTS4 rides better than the Mrs's Mini Cooper, even in Sport, although I didn't spec the full lowering. The funny thing is that if you go very slowly along a rough road you feel/hear the bumps more than if you take it at speed, so maybe that's the solution... :)

Wow stunning

Palmball, that looks stunning and I can't stop looking at the pictures.

I've been thinking about ordering a GTS in Carmine for a while now but your pictures have tipped me over the edge - I'm currently trying to do a deal on a factory order for around November delivery, but I'm just waiting to hear back from the dealer. The problem is your pictures have made me spend more on the following:-

- Painted vents - they looked 'OK' on the configurator, but they look superb in your car. That's another £800 spent!
- Steering column in leather - I love the red stitching on yours. My car will have the GTS interior pack, but I want the same stitching as you have. However, the configurator will only let me add the 'cheap' option of 'steering column casing in leather' rather than the more expensive version 'steering column casing in leather with decorative stitching in contrasting colour'. Is this right, and did you pay £231 for what you have?

I'm sure I'll have more questions if I get the deal I want, but thanks for now and have fun.

great write up, I was only in a dealership yesterday thinking about placing an order for a GTS and having sold an R8 GT recently.

They were quoting 6 months delivery, unless you ordered pts, how long did you have to wait?

Its amazing how the options list mounts up £££ I did like the interior options you've picked.

They only had a demo C2S did you every drive one in comparison? I'd guess the GTS feels more focused?

BTW the car looks great in Carmine Red

Thanks guys, very kind feedback. Now had a week in it and did 500 miles over the weekend and loving it, possibly save for the very hard ride (which I am getting used to, but it sure is stiff even after R8 etc!).

It is so well controlled though, and so stable and planted, I'm not sure I've driven anything else which gives quite THIS level of confidence.

Kiernan said:
Palmball, that looks stunning and I can't stop looking at the pictures.

I've been thinking about ordering a GTS in Carmine for a while now but your pictures have tipped me over the edge - I'm currently trying to do a deal on a factory order for around November delivery, but I'm just waiting to hear back from the dealer. The problem is your pictures have made me spend more on the following:-

- Painted vents - they looked 'OK' on the configurator, but they look superb in your car. That's another £800 spent!
- Steering column in leather - I love the red stitching on yours. My car will have the GTS interior pack, but I want the same stitching as you have. However, the configurator will only let me add the 'cheap' option of 'steering column casing in leather' rather than the more expensive version 'steering column casing in leather with decorative stitching in contrasting colour'. Is this right, and did you pay £231 for what you have?

I'm sure I'll have more questions if I get the deal I want, but thanks for now and have fun.

Yes, I've seen you've spec'd yours similarly....clearly, you are a person of exquisite taste :mrgreen:

When I originally spec'd my car the configurator didn't have the separate option for contrast stitching on my extra leather bits (steering column, top of dash and back's of the front seats). However when it came to lockdown, these suddenly became available. I wanted the contrast stitching so my dealer checked and apparently the standard option sufficed for this (hence maybe the 'other' option doesn't work). You should therefore be fine with the standard option but as yours will be a 2018 MY (mine is 2017) I would just get your dealer to check first as I did.

Just bear in mind these bits do add a few weeks to delivery - the car is built in the factory then has to go to Porsche Exclusive to be refitted with some of these items. It added about 3 weeks to my original delivery schedule so nothing too onerous.

EdTheDuck said:
Super car, I like the red with a few yellow bits scattered around, bit of colour on the inside really lifts the interior.

I'm surprised you think it's a hard ride: my GTS4 rides better than the Mrs's Mini Cooper, even in Sport, although I didn't spec the full lowering. The funny thing is that if you go very slowly along a rough road you feel/hear the bumps more than if you take it at speed, so maybe that's the solution... :)

Thanks, and yes I do like some 'colour', particularly inside a car hence some of the options. Not a fan of all-black interiors so was glad I could do things like add the stitching and painted options.

I think my comments on the ride are entirely due to the -20mm set-up that I chose. Which I would still do again for aesthetic purposes, but it's not without compromise.

Gorsh said:
Your car looks stunning! Seen it on PH and come on here there it is again!

The suspension is something I was a little concerned about after the C4S I test drove had the same -20 Sport PASM, it was OK on most roads but left me feeling it was a little too hard so I decided to choose the -10 PASM on mine, also have PDCC and RWS. I'm hoping I have just a little more compliancy with good body control. The car is due in late July, getting closer now so really excited.

Thank you.

From a dynamic perspective, and on the basis it's a car to use on UK roads, I think -10mm is a wise choice to get the best 'drive' out of it. It'll look a bit higher but probably only noticeable side by side.

weejimmy said:
Lovely. Getting very excited about getting my carmine C4 GTS now! Hoping to get it this week.

Interesting comments re the ride. I found the R8 very firm versus my C4s so I am surprised you think the GTS is even harder than the R8. That's my only reservation though.

I did check the axle lift so we'll see how that goes. I was worried by the lower ride height as I have to deal with a lot of speed humps, plus I thought it would add some theatre!

I also specced Burmester. Love it on my C4s and wasn't for missing out this time.

Depends on the R8 - I think the new shape one is a bit softer than the previous generation when it's fitted with magnetic ride.

See my comments regarding the ride on your post but on the subject of ride height, this has actually proved to not be too much of a problem in the end (something I think you've also alluded to).

Burmester is definitely a worthwhile upgrade in the 911 (less so in the SUV's)

Skelts said:
great write up, I was only in a dealership yesterday thinking about placing an order for a GTS and having sold an R8 GT recently.

They were quoting 6 months delivery, unless you ordered pts, how long did you have to wait?

Its amazing how the options list mounts up £££ I did like the interior options you've picked.

They only had a demo C2S did you every drive one in comparison? I'd guess the GTS feels more focused?

BTW the car looks great in Carmine Red

Thank you and yes, the options which independently don't seem too expensive sure do add up when you tick enough of them! Mine was ordered early Feb, so pretty much 5 months on the nose (which included a three week extra wait for some of the Porsche Exclusive bits).

The car I test drove was actually a C2S, but the dealers' demo had most of the sporty bits fitted (PDCC, RWS) so was a good comparison. It was however on -10mm suspension so I know that setup rides notably better (or shall we say more compliantly as it might not be better for everyone!)

Stunning Palmball! Welcome to the club :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back