Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997TT < 996TT

I'm sure there is plenty of space for us both to be average :)

apollokre1d said:
Not taking anything away from you but maybe they were just average.. like me :)
Ha ha. Kind of what I meant in my comment.

In any case passing car, or allowing cars past on track is as much to do with the driver as the car, as you say. And even good drivers have warming up/cooling down laps.

Embarrassingly, I eased off after overtaking, because I hit something slippy on the track and was immediately unsure the reason or extent of the spill - discretion is the better part of valour - and, indeed, on the next lap the red and yellow flags were being waved earlier in the lap and someone did come off. This meant I had to re-overtake down Dottinger Hohe.

apollokre1d said:
Diggermeister said:
If I sold my 996 turbo, it would only be in order to buy a 997 GT3 and, I fear I may already be spoiled rotten by the boost, given mine's mapped to about 500bhp.

A mate has a 997GT2 and remarks on how driving GT3s is nice, but lacking in acceleration drama - boostless.

I'm worried, that the lack of grunt might make me regret any such change. PLus, given the turbo's excellent all-weather manners, and the higher value of the car, would I use it as much and can (therefore) I justify the cost?

It's easy to forget how good the 996/7 turbo is. They are constantly overlooked in favour of the GT cars but, in truth, they're also great on track. Yet, the way people talk about turbos, you'd think they were useless, lardy creations, with no ability on circuit.

Right you are, in the hands of a good driver a turbo can keep up or ahead of a GT3.

That turbo blasts out of the corners! Just goes to show how much a GT3 must make up by going faster in the wiggly bits to make up for the pure horsepower.

Don't get me wrong - I love GT3's (and obviously turbos) so this is not an anti GT3 post just an observation on how different the cars are.

Replacing that kick in the back from a decent bit of lag is tough to do. Call me old skool but I do like a bit of.. wait... wait... wait.. BANG you get from older turbo cars. Mate has a 991t s and you'd be hard pressed to spot any lag - as a passenger feels nearly like an NA car. Technically an amazing piece of kit and having seen the gen 2 turbos launching (sub 3s 0-60) I'd struggle not to buy one.

Nastymatt said:
Technically an amazing piece of kit and having seen the gen 2 turbos launching (sub 3s 0-60) I'd struggle not to buy one.

I think the 991 TurboS and 991 GT3RS lap Anglesey circuit at the exact same time.

Obviously, when it's wet, the 4WD of the turbo really comes into play. Then - and this certainly refers to my video - if you consider a turbo (like mine) running on PS" tyres, versus a GT3 or GT4 running on Cups, there can be a large discrepancy in the amount of skill required and grip available.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back