Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997TT < 996TT

As with all these things it comes down to preference and how you define 'better'. I agree with 3point6 and like the raw feeling and the hammer hit when the boost comes in, I can sre equally that others might consider a smoother delivery and and the driving feel being not quite as raw as an improvement. I guess it is the same with the manual Mezger against the DFI PDK. So long as you are happy with what you have. I know I am.

MC

DynoMike said:
apollokre1d said:
adamw said:
As ragpicker has said it would be interesting to see response in 997 forum!!

Sadly we are all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about which is better out of the 997.2 DFI PDK and the 997.1 mezger manual :)

:floor:

Meanwhile us sixers are just driving our cars and admiring the ever so pretty headlights when washing the mullered flies off :grin:

Too right :)

As I mentioned earlier I saw a few at 9e last time I was there & just lowering them makes such a difference. I prefer the stock wheels on 996 car compared to the 997 Gen1 wheels. The one I saw was black with bucket seats and looked really quick :D

apollokre1d said:
As I mentioned earlier I saw a few at 9e last time I was there & just lowering them makes such a difference.

Couldn't agree more.

Attachments

• screen_shot_2017_06_13_at_220345_681.png
    screen_shot_2017_06_13_at_220345_681.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 5,627
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when looking for a new weekend car. IMO unless your spending £100k's modern cars they do not feel "special", they are to refined for there own good and insulate you to much from the driving experience. They call it progress, I would agree it is progress in my Disco which is in daily use, but on a weekend/ early morning blast it detracts from the driving experience.

My advise would be to go test drive a 991 then re-test drive a 997, it will feel much more special. As others have said a few tweaks (lowering & re-map) also helps.

The added benefit of buying a 997 turbo is you own something that looks like this.

Attachments

• php9yfhkjpm_146.jpg
    php9yfhkjpm_146.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 5,517
3point6 said:
I sold my 996TT last week, it was a cracking car, manual with under 59k on it, mapped, sports exhaust, what a car, it was my 3rd 996TT in 5 years.

I had my heart set on a 997TT and went to see one today. This particular car was not for me (condition was not good enough) but after a run in it I have decided that the 6T is the car for me.

Inside the 7, I just didn't feel like I was in a 911, too modern, too comfortable, too much leather everywhere, too quiet, too civilised, no drama. The power delivery very different too, too linear. As if it was trying to hide the fact it was a turbo. My 6t boosted at 1.0bar with a hammer in the back, this boosted at the same 1.0bar but did not feel as brutal..ok, mine was mapped, but even before I mapped it it would still boost with a hammer.

My 6t felt more raw, more aggressive, more of a handful, more of a sports car, intimidating. 7 somehow feels like its trying to hide all that and is apologising for being a Turbo by trying to dull all the sensations and this instant spool turbo boost removes the old skool lag-boost. Maybe a driving marvel, maybe too good for it's own good?

I want raw aggression and fear, hammer like boost and a connected exhilarating ride. I am going to buy another 996 Turbo.

(sorry for the inevitable incoming flames.. this is purely my opinion.)

You are exactly right in your view on the power delivery.

The 997 (over 996) had the VTG Turbo fitted (variable turbine geometry), which earlier and more gently begins to spool up.

This technically increases the area under the torque and power curves - AKA flattens them (less lag/on boost step change)

In addition, the VTG also clips the torque peak (again making more linear and more flat).

This was intentional, the earlier spool up to make it more driveable (comfortable/accessible) and the mid range attenuation to be mechanically sympathetic to the driveline etc (applying a more consistent force profile across the rev range)

The low revs range requires the turbine vanes to be of a more aggressive pitch (capturing more exhaust flow), mid and high range requires the turbine vanes to progressively become a shallower pitch, letting more exhaust gas flow through (without the earlier power extraction coefficient)

The VTG can be remapped too, so don't give up based on the "out the box" character.

After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. There may be a good few cars on the market, but when you actually scrutinise them one by one they all fall short in some respect or another (history, number of owners, miles, spec, condition, colour, story, seller)..there really isn't many to choose from!

Maybe didn't get the colour I wanted but I think I found the right one. :thumbs: Exciting times!

3point6 said:
After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. Exciting times!

So what did you go for in the end, 997 or 996? Spill the beans :D

DynoMike said:
apollokre1d said:
adamw said:
As ragpicker has said it would be interesting to see response in 997 forum!!

Sadly we are all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about which is better out of the 997.2 DFI PDK and the 997.1 mezger manual :)

:floor:

Meanwhile us sixers are just driving our cars and admiring the ever so pretty headlights when washing the mullered flies off :grin:

MY '11 997.2 VVTG S DFI PDK .........

I would venture my humble opinion that the 997.2 is the best looking Iteration from ALL angles , it is just cohesive and no flaws to pick at , weakest point is the cabin .... where just so much more could have been done .... I like it but it could have been developed better.....
Headlight revision on the 997 was perfect...

Jibaro said:
3point6 said:
After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. Exciting times!

So what did you go for in the end, 997 or 996? Spill the beans :D

Well, seeing as I want to drive it and not look at it, I am buying a 6T 8)

A really clean low mileage car (under 40k) with full OPC records.. for the same money I could buy very reasonable 7T. Astonishing how the prices have moved on.. a really nice 6T is the same money as a decent 7T.

ragpicker said:
I recently drove my friends absolutely lovely, very low mile, standard 997 turbo in my favourite colour.

Eh! :eh!: I thought you were away a suspiciously long time for someone who'd asked to 'see what it was like to sit in'...... :wack:

:wink:

I completely get where you're coming from OP. I only changed from a '6 to a '7.1 as mine is my daily and was nearing 90k miles. A few more miles and the value might have plummeted. Another '6 wasn't really an option, as I'd be paying out a hefty premium and hunting for a car as well maintained as what I had for the same experience. Spending on tuning was money I'd not get back. So a added a bit extra to my budget and swapped my '6 for a '7.1.

The first few miles made me worry I'd made a bad move. The difference just wasn't that great to justify the extra spend and I suffered pretty bad buyers remorse. That was 11,000 miles ago (or 6 months) and that remorse has gone. 3,000 of those miles have been done in France, Germany and Belgium and I've really grown to love the '7.1.

But.........

The sight of Ragpicker and LoFi's '6 on the road and their pace (especially Pearl) during these Eurotrips reminds me that the differences are remarkably slim. In other words if I hadn't had to change then I don't think I would have done.

That's how monumentally good the '6 platform was, right out of the box :worship:

If I sold my 996 turbo, it would only be in order to buy a 997 GT3 and, I fear I may already be spoiled rotten by the boost, given mine's mapped to about 500bhp.

A mate has a 997GT2 and remarks on how driving GT3s is nice, but lacking in acceleration drama - boostless.

I'm worried, that the lack of grunt might make me regret any such change. PLus, given the turbo's excellent all-weather manners, and the higher value of the car, would I use it as much and can (therefore) I justify the cost?

It's easy to forget how good the 996/7 turbo is. They are constantly overlooked in favour of the GT cars but, in truth, they're also great on track. Yet, the way people talk about turbos, you'd think they were useless, lardy creations, with no ability on circuit.

Diggermeister said:
If I sold my 996 turbo, it would only be in order to buy a 997 GT3 and, I fear I may already be spoiled rotten by the boost, given mine's mapped to about 500bhp.

A mate has a 997GT2 and remarks on how driving GT3s is nice, but lacking in acceleration drama - boostless.

I'm worried, that the lack of grunt might make me regret any such change. PLus, given the turbo's excellent all-weather manners, and the higher value of the car, would I use it as much and can (therefore) I justify the cost?

It's easy to forget how good the 996/7 turbo is. They are constantly overlooked in favour of the GT cars but, in truth, they're also great on track. Yet, the way people talk about turbos, you'd think they were useless, lardy creations, with no ability on circuit.

Right you are, in the hands of a good driver a turbo can keep up or ahead of a GT3.

apollokre1d said:
Diggermeister said:

Right you are, in the hands of a good driver a turbo can keep up or ahead of a GT3.

Not even, necessarily a good driver. I passed a 991 GT3 and a Cayman GT4 on the same lap at the Nurburgring. :dont know:

Not taking anything away from you but maybe they were just average.. like me :)

apollokre1d said:
Not taking anything away from you but maybe they were just average.. like me :)

No, I'M average! :lol:

t8fvGV.gif

:grin: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back