Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Engine problems and oil use

Fingers crossed for the right outcome. It seems mad to me that just because somebody writes down 1l/600 miles that makes it somehow reasonable!!

MC

1L per 600 miles is ridiculous. Like a bloody 2 stroke.

You'd be filling up a litre of oil every 2 fuel stops?!?

Fingers crossed for you Glen. Hopefully the car isn't at OPC Guildford!

I wouldn't knock Guidlford too much, as they were great whenever things have gone wrong. The 600 miles a litre is a Porsche thing.

I wasn't there complaining about oil use, I was there with a few other niggles. They mentioned they'd added oil, which was a surprise tio me as I'd probably only done a thousand miles..

In Glen's case, at least the bores have been inspected. Nobody had looked at mine and the car went bang before it was due back in.

Guildford were good when I was trying to get a new engine, rather than a rebuild. They've also helped with goodwill since.

Oil amount

It appears that the amount of 1L per 633 miles is set and rather helpful for the garage should they need it.

This figure is regardless of whether it is a two year old car or 10 years old car 20K miles or 120K miles on the clock.
Additionally, same figure for oil use regardless of whether suspect Piston clearances, Valve guides, bore scoring etc etc.

A very high figure that is easy to use should the car be under a Porsche or other warranty.
Now I am really paranoid. Think it is time to put tin foil on my head as the garage is listening to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

On another note both sides of the engine showed bore scoring and both exhaust tips are completly coked up all the time and to a small extent the rear bumper.
I know that DFI engines can be attributed to some 'sooting' but is this all the time even on after a long long run?

Feedback form other owners would be appreciated.
Ta
Glen

Some progress there Glen.

Wonder what state the valves are in if the tail pipes and bumper are heavily sooted? :eek:

Fingers crossed for you.

Glen,

My oil usage isn't anything i worry about - 1L in just over 2500 miles, but my car does "soot" when under load from low down revs. It seems to be more when up hill (which is when my friends noted it doing it going up stelvio) :lol:

It is very much a direct injection thing. Sometimes it doesn't soot under acceleration at all, sometimes it's noticeable in car headlights.

I think black tailpipes on a gen 2 can be easily mislead into oil being burnt. Though in your case i guess it must be some oil coking too.

officially rejected the car

The garage continued to d**k me around.
They were told one month ago about the engine problem. They had the car back two weeks ago.
Had nothing in the way of an offer for repair.
Told me last week that they would finish up their assessment and get back to me and did not.
Told me yesterday that an employee had taken the car away at the weekend to a football match to put some miles on it.

Up early today for work so decided enough is enough. I have sent a three page letter officially rejecting the car on the grounds of:
Consumer Rights Act 2015 - 23 (2).
no repair in a reasonable amount of time.

Also breaches of contract under CSA Article 9, 10, and 11.

9 'Goods to be of satisfactory quality"
The vehicle was and is not free from minor defects.
10 'Goods to be fit for particular purpose"
A 'reasonable man' would expect to get many 10's of thousands of trouble free miles from a 'top shelf' vehicle marque like Porsche with such low mileage and full dealer service history, that is clearly not the case.
11 'Goods to be as described"
Tetbury Audi advertise 'Approved Used Cars' that was evidently not the case. This vehicle was not subject to the most basic of checks, including safety checks, prior to purchase or collection. When I collected the vehicle the screen wash was empty within a few miles of my journey home, three of the tyres had low pressure, one at 20psi, and the oil level was well below minimum. The cars oil level did not drop to below minimum on the 120 mile drive home!
Had the oil level been checked by Tetbury Audi at any time the oil level would have been found to be 'off the gauge'. Any qualified mechanic would have flagged it as an issue for further investigation and in doing so found the causes and I would not have purchased it.

The garage have 14 days to provide a full or (agreed) part refund then it is off to court.
Happy days!!!

Regards
Glen Wells

Good luck. Let's hope they get through this phase quickly for you.

What a pain. Hopefully they'll see sense before you get to court.

Well done Glenn, will hopefully be sorted soon.

Good on you Glen, you have a lot on your side (all positive) so fingers crossed and they will see sense and settle, if not they will have a very expensive day in court !

Swamps :)

Why does it always end up with the threat of legal action in order to get the dealer to act? It does not seem to matter what their provenance is as a dealer, it is always the same.

For their part, it's incredibly short-sighted since it causes them lots of wasted time, damages their reputation and, ultimately, they will have to pay up.

My thoughts are with you and I hope this is sorted out quickly now.

No repair!

Tetbury Audi have got back to me and the following are their opinion and position.

Oil consumption test at 0.8L per 1000 miles below what I estimated - so under Porsche 1L per 633 miles.
Therefore NO other tests or even a borescope done.

They have also said that Bore scoring on two cylinders is wait for it 'normal' for a car with 42K miles.
No mention of excessive sooting or tapping from the crankcase.

NO Repair, NO part refund NO return.
Will buy back at trade!

Need to digest this do not want to shoot from the hip.

Regards
Glen

Here you go.....should they provide you to the answers below, it can go in your evidence file for the case.
Dear Audi
Can you please kindly provide me with the documentation from Porsche AG showing that bore scoring is designed into the life cycle of this particular engine?

Can you also ducument the methodology you measured the oil consumption to achieve your results as they differ from my experience.

Many thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back