Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1S Fuel Problem?

TTW

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my 2004 997.1S in that the car demonstrates all the symptoms of running out of fuel, except the fuel gauge and fuel computer still reflect between 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel (Approx 120mile DTE), and this is supported based on the amount of refuelling to get back to a full tank.

Once refuelled everything returns to normal? - This had happened twice in the last 10 months, albeit this is probably the only two times the fuel level has actually dropped below 1/2 tank, as by routine when its ~half a tank, I fill it up again.

I assume this could be fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator related? - has anyone else had this issue or can advise on how easy it would be to rectify?

If it was a C4 then its a sender unit fault or calibration .. C2 is different though ..

IF NO fault codes then i would go along with a fuel pressure issue as the car cant give a fault code for this .. the lack of a code here actually helps if its a pressure issue .

I would say you have a failing pump , usual check for this other than when the symptoms are present and a fuel pressure check is to actually remove the pump and look at the filter in the base of the pump and in the tank where it sits .

Your looking for bits of black plastic .

I had an identical issue many years ago (non Porsche) where the car would show the symptoms of running out of fuel with 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. As soon as I filled up the car returned to normal exactly as you describe.

My issue was as Demort mentioned above, clogged fuel filter in the fuel tank which sat around the pipe suction. Once it was removed and cleaned the car was perfect after that. Your story sounds identical to mine.

Cheers Guys! - will get it checked 8)

Fault confirmed as Lazy Fuel Pump. Suitably replaced.

Thanks for the help guys!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back