Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming together now. thumbsup

Wav
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work Harv, really liking this thread. An overall cost breakdown of the parts, machining and balancing would be great... if you don't mind sharing of course. This is something I plan to do in the future, hopefully not too soon though.

Keep up the excellent work,

Paul

Harv
Österreich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get some more done on the build and into the real fun of assembly now.

Sorry for late response Wav, I've not done a cost breakdown as yet but suffice to say I'm doing this on a tight but reasonable budget not including my time I will try and get some figures added at the end. I suspect about 4k as I have been lucky with some bits and bought others a vastly reduced cost with the luxury of time as spares came up for sale and suppliers put up discount codes and offers.

Thanks to Dyno Mike for loan of the piston ring end gap tool and happy to say all ring end gaps are really exact, measurements taken at same depth in each bore Thumb

Lots more washing and cleaning of parts, gapped ring set kept with bores 1 thru 6 respectively and fitted to pistons.

Rods fitted to pistons 1 thru 3, gudgeon pins and clips fitted, rotated to same position and triple checked, assembly's inserted into cylinders for lefthand case, pay attention to which way up rods run and markings on piston crowns point towards flywheel.

Crank carrier built up with rods for cylinders 4 thru 6, new ims timing chain, guide, new tensioner arm, oil baffle housing, gaskets, cam chains. Check everything multiple times

Another new ims bearing fitted, had about 5k on old new one but think I nicked it's somehow on removal for cleaning as no longer felt buttery smooth, peace of mind for £8

Carrier lowered into lefthand case half checking it's seated properly, fit new bearings for rods, pre lube, fit rod caps new arp rod bolts torqued to spec (don't forget special grease). Temporarily bolt carrier assembly into left case half to keep things in place.

Next time, mating case halfs, fitting pistons 4 thru 6.

GT3 82mm plenum design finalised and should have prototype for checking here next week.

Trying to find a firm that can bend me up some decat pipes, drop me a PM if you know anyone or even have some to hand you don't want

Thumb

Last edited by Harv on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsup

911munKy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting thread,
if you don't mind me asking are you and eng builder or mechanic by trade?
Great skills, I like to wield the spanners a bit but wouldn't attempt this sort of project.

Harv
Österreich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumb

I'm doing this build myself, mechanical engineer by trade or at least this is what I studied after leaving school when apprenticeships still existed though have spent years working in CAD to the oil & gas industry (sadly now as dead as the animals that gave us fossil fuels thanks to oil price and companies insatiable desire to constantly cut design costs in the last 10 years).

The m96 engine is a mechanical jewel and something like this is entirely within the capabilities of the home mechanic, just take your time.

DynoMike
Suzuka

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Harv! Looks like you are doing a very methodical and diligent job, just the way an engine should be built. I'm not sure if you are using a build paste but can recommend Graphogen, have used it for over 30 years. Great to put on shells, cams and followers etc in order to provide total protection whilst cranking for oil pressure. It costs quite a lot but is worth every penny. The only downside is that it makes your oil look black very quickly, but that will be flushed at the running in oil change. We don't use it on piston skirts though.

Good work, keep the forum up to date Thumb

Jamesx19
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Harv. And inspiring stuff.

I like your idea of not just a rebuild, but an upgrade. And for reasonable money considering the cost of parts and precision machining.

Have you needed to replace the valve guides as well? From a cylinder head flow point of view, is the restriction in the inlet or exhaust side do you think?
I imagine that lovely 3 angle job on the valve seats, together with the increase bore size deshrouding the inlet valve should make a sizable difference to head flow, and hence torque.

Will you change the cams as well? I can imagine this engine will have masses of mid range thump, rather than be a screamer!

Like the others have said, please keep going with the updates. Very interested.

Cheers

Harv
Österreich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,

I couldn't really justify taking this all to bits and then just refreshing it and generally mod my cars a bit when the time comes for something like this.

Regarding the heads no the guides didn't require replacement and had little wear for the mileage, so just the valves, seats and a little porting. I couldn't see anything to be gained in the inlets so only a little bit of clean up and then the exhaust had some smoothing. I don't think there's much on the table with these heads anyway they are not restrictive.

I don't plan on changing the cams either and not looking for all out peak HP just more usable midrange. I'm hoping the car gets is sparkle back, it's always felt lack lustre to me.

Thumb

sje00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Awesome!

Would love to see the 3D printed part your looking to do!

Marky911
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still watching here. Mega impressive.

Harv
Österreich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working away here.

Doing compression ratio check with the engine partially built (Engine on TDC for piston 1, old head gasket and head fitted) using the chamber fill method to get an acurate figure.

I have all the data to calc the CR but some of that data is manufacturer supplied, for example the piston data is -13.8cc which added to my heads would yield 63.8cc.

12:1 will be my absolute maximum limit and equally 10.5:1 would be too low so either a removal of material from Pistons or head maybe required to dial this in, there's the option also to add an additional shim into head the gaskets (stacking).

One thing I have struggled to find is the piston to head min clearance figure. At the top of the engines stroke you don't want the piston getting too close the the cylinder head face, a figure of around 0.037 - 0.040" seems acceptable (around the 1mm mark)

The printed plenum design is finalised and I have managed to get a consistent 3mm material wall thickness for the unit which should prove to be strong. The material is also good for 200degC though not expecting those kind of running temps even with heat soak. There will be some hand finishing required.

Jamesx19
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post, I'm assuming your doing a dry build with Plasticine on the pistons to get those measurements? Good squish will promote turbulence and a quicker burn of the mixture. Though 1mm sounds the minimum you would want to go considering heat and material expansion at 7,000 rpm?

Not in the same league, but I built a Fiat SOHC engine with that sort of tolerance. The pistons actually came above the block deck into the gasket space by 0.5mm as the gasket was 1.8mm compressed thickness. It only needed 28.5 degrees advance even at 7,500 rpm.

Do you know who did the design and development work on the Wossner pistons, they might have some data?

Don't forget the volume of the ring land to piston/cylinder walls. You've probably got that in hand anyway......

Cheers

Jamesx19
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some back of an envelope maths....

Cylinder volume = 643.5 cc
Chamber vol = 50 cc
Piston is dommed? = -13.8 cc
Gasket volume at 1.8mm (nominal compressed) thickness = 14.13 cc
Ring land volume approx = 0.8 cc?

Static Compression ratio = 13.6 : 1

Variables are gasket thickness and volume and piston dommed or dished. ie intruder or not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: