Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting a Limited Slip Differential.

sje00

Hi Guys, new to the forum and 911 ownership.

I am picking up my car (996 C2 Aero Manual) end of the month hopefully, but during that time, the IMS bearing is being replaced and the clutch inspected.
Is now a good time to fit a LSD? is much of a difficult or time consuming job whilst the rest of the work is happening?

Also where would people recommend people getting one from? preferably a Wavetrac.

cheers guys. :thumb:

Can you fit an LSD? If it's an early PSM model I don't think you can. Which model is yours? Gen I 3.4 or Gen II 3.6?

........and may I ask why your changing the ims bearing?

It's a 2000 3.4, no PSM as far as I know.

It was offered as part of the full asking price, so I said yes.

Hey SJE00

I have a Wacetrac fitted to my Porsche 996 3.4 C2.

Great upgrade that really contributes a lot during acceleration and braking stabilisation.

Plus when traction does break away, as long as you don't lift off, it's superbly progressive to balance the car with.

Mr B

MrB said:
Hey SJE00

I have a Wacetrac fitted to my Porsche 996 3.4 C2.

Great upgrade that really contributes a lot during acceleration and braking stabilisation.

Plus when traction does break away, as long as you don't lift off, it's superbly progressive to balance the car with.

Mr B

Thank you for the reply, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Just wondering,
where did you buy yours?
what was fitting like and the cost of fitting?

Cheers

Pleasure, just sent you a PM mate! Apologies I couldn't be more specific, but hopefully that explains why.

MrB

sje00 said:

So theres nothing wrong with it?

The early 3.4 had the most robust IMS bearing, they cheapened out on later cars. Not sure if you car is one of those earliest cars being a 2000, and you probably won't know what bearing is fitted till you open it up.

Theres a lot of scar mongering around, but some experts say changing the IMS bearing can do more harm than good to all the other things the IMS is connected to, and that the bearing is no more likely to fail than lots of other things in such an old engine.

wasz said:
sje00 said:

So theres nothing wrong with it?

The early 3.4 had the most robust IMS bearing, they cheapened out on later cars. Not sure if you car is one of those earliest cars being a 2000, and you probably won't know what bearing is fitted till you open it up.

Theres a lot of scar mongering around, but some experts say changing the IMS bearing can do more harm than good to all the other things the IMS is connected to, and that the bearing is no more likely to fail than lots of other things in such an old engine.

Yep, done my research beforehand.
Being an engineer, I understand bearing fitting and removal.
It was a choice I was given, and I made the decision.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back