Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 3.2s would you buy with no proof the ims as been done

silvermilnec

Looking at buying a 66k miles boxster S 2001 plate with 66k on the clock.

It's got full service history but not including bills so don't really know what jobs outside of servicing it's had. The guy selling owned a business and work done went through the business and no copies taken. He sounds a nice bloke and the cars done a couple of 1000 miles a year on sunny days.

Is it true the ims only affected 5% of cars and usually early in their life?

Cheers

If its still running there's nothing wrong with the ims bearing - forget about it.

With 66k on the clock you could possibly be looking at a new clutch anyway in the near future anyway. So you can always have it changed then if you wanted a bit of a better night sleep. They're not that expensive to change during the process.
The thing is with the 986's is they're fantastic but they've got to be looked after. Which is where the invoice history would help. There's so many after market pattern parts for them that I'm sure a lot will consist of them.

I'd say stick with a 2.7, and get a local OPC to give a prospective contender a 111 health check. They come up for sale so often that you can have the choice everyday of the week.

One of the best cars I've ever owned, if not the best overall. :thumb:

Porsche only recognise a problem when 5% or higher of the cars made have the same fault .. they never " recognised " the ims so in theory its less than 5 % .

As Alex has already said its best not to worry about things that may never happen .. after all if we were to worry about getting knocked down then we would never cross a road again would we !

In real terms ive not seen a failure in a long time now .. other things breaking the engine yes but not the ims on a Boxster .

In the early days then yes it was a problem but for me that was 2006 ish .

Demort said:
Porsche only recognise a problem when 5% or higher of the cars made have the same fault .. they never " recognised " the ims so in theory its less than 5 % .

As Alex has already said its best not to worry about things that may never happen .. after all if we were to worry about getting knocked down then we would never cross a road again would we !

In real terms ive not seen a failure in a long time now .. other things breaking the engine yes but not the ims on a Boxster .

Demort thanks, I hang out on the 997 section mostly and your always helpful! You will go to heaven 👍👍

silvermilnec said:
Demort said:

Demort thanks, I hang out on the 997 section mostly and your always helpful! You will go to heaven 👍👍

Bless you young man ..

Anything can happen with cars but i feel worrying about it isnt good , the Boxster has been one of the more reliable cars IMHO and a hell of a lot of fun for the cost .. for the small chance of something failing then its worth a punt .

I hear plenty of storys of other makes of cars haveing their own problems .. look up Audi R8 rear suspension problems .. Its not just Porsche :)

Guys your right! I've been around porsches for a few years now and owned a 2006 997 and never worried about bore score lol

To be honest I've never been that cautious buying cars, I'm just gunna go have a look tomorrow and see what the general condition like.

How easy is a clutch replacement in these?

Same as a 996 / 997 really .. 4 hours for a clutch i think .

Ims can always be looked at or even replaced at the same time .. but if i go down the ims replacement route i know im gonna get Alex on my back lol :oops:

:eek:ld:

Yeah you will!!!

Without some serious modification to fit the last larger bearing used in the last 997s then there's no guarantee it's gonna be any better than you already have. Really can't see the point in replacing a decent part that's lasted 66k miles with something the same that might only last 2k miles.

Best off buying on of these's certificates of me for only £25 (I can modify to suit a Boxster):

IMSB%20cert_zpslvvxeky7.jpg

alex yates said:
:eek:ld:

Yeah you will!!!

Without some serious modification to fit the last larger bearing used in the last 997s then there's no guarantee it's gonna be any better than you already have. Really can't see the point in replacing a decent part that's lasted 66k miles with something the same that might only last 2k miles.

Best off buying on of these's certificates of me for only £25 (I can modify to suit a Boxster):

Alex perfect 😂😂😂

IMSB%20cert_zpslvvxeky7.jpg
:floor: :what: :floor:

Agree with Alex and Demort. At 66k miles it'll be fine. My 'lil Box had an IMS failure before I bought it on about 30k miles or so, replaced with another standard M96 engine by OPC. When we checked mine when this engine was on 100+k miles it was absolutely perfect!

More info is contained in my Boxster thread in my sig (recently updated for you Demort :wink: )

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back