Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 to 977.2 Steering Wheel Upgrade

I wonder if a black wheel would go with a blue interior. Anyone got any pics?

It would add to the cost, but you could always get http://www.designls.co.uk/ to change the leather for you to match your interior - it will be a factory finish. You can have both the airbag and steering wheel done.

Poker2009 said:
It would add to the cost, but you could always get http://www.designls.co.uk/ to change the leather for you to match your interior - it will be a factory finish. You can have both the airbag and steering wheel done.

Linas is a top craftsman and would match your trim colour and stitching you could have a flat bottom and extra wide grip or even some carbon added. :thumb: :thumb:

Poker2009 said:
Sorry to say but if you somehow manage to find Sea blue used parts, I think you will be extremely lucky!

it's literally impossible!

dan4s997 said:
997.1 sea blue wheels and bags are not that hard to find. If I just wanted to change to the 997.1 round sport steering wheel, which to me is still really nice. I just feel that if I am putting the effort in to change it, I might aswell go all out for the 997.2 wheel.

that's what i did.... still quite an endeavour

dan4s997 said:

i had mine custom re-warpped in an oem dual tone black (perf leather) + sea blue, with the back Multifunction trim plate I added a used (but mint) black leather airbag. it was too costly otherwise going sea blue airbag (had to be new only)

myw said:
Poker2009 said:
Sorry to say but if you somehow manage to find Sea blue used parts, I think you will be extremely lucky!

it's literally impossible!

dan4s997 said:
997.1 sea blue wheels and bags are not that hard to find. If I just wanted to change to the 997.1 round sport steering wheel, which to me is still really nice. I just feel that if I am putting the effort in to change it, I might aswell go all out for the 997.2 wheel.

that's what i did.... still quite an endeavour

dan4s997 said:

i had mine custom re-warpped in an oem dual tone black (perf leather) + sea blue, with the back Multifunction trim plate I added a used (but mint) black leather airbag. it was too costly otherwise going sea blue airbag (had to be new only)

I have just brought an Aqua gen2 with sea blue interior could you post a pic of your retrimmed wheel so I can get some ideas as the plain seablue wheel needs a lift. :thumb:

hey man, i basically stole the idea off this wheel on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291942288226?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

- instead of the silver at the top and bottom of the eBay wheel, i replaced that with sea blue leather instead.
- the black leather on the sides i got done as perforated leather
- added grey leather stripe at the top
- added thicker padding all around
- black leather oem airbag + the black multifunction plate as well.

i havnet installed yet so once its done then i will post some photos - if i could do it again i would have sent the wheel core to a company in lithuania/poland to do the refurb work as they do can even do a flat bottom adjustment and their workmanship/quality/leather is literally oem level.

here is the lithuania company - the workmanship is killer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262942415427?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Phil 997 said:
I have just brought an Aqua gen2 with sea blue interior could you post a pic of your retrimmed wheel so I can get some ideas as the plain seablue wheel needs a lift. :thumb:

also don't forget that the 991.2 wheel with full multifunction control has been cracked for 997s; that is the route i would go today had i not already done what i have previously with the custom 997.2 wheel.

Phil 997 said:

Ive recently brought a all black manual non multifunctional cayman steering wheel to put on my car. With the idea of getting it retrimed in blue. Heres a pic below of what it will look like.

myw thanks for the links and ideas :thumb:

bought a used 2010 steering wheel core and had it recovered in
- thicker padded overall
- Perforated black leather sides
- seablue leather at the top and bottom of wheel
- grey contrast stitching
- grey top stripe

the grey/silver faceplate will be removed as i also found another steering wheel with a black multifunction faceplate that i will be throwing on this black+blue wheel (see below)
1139654d1488238417-new-steering-wheel-997-1-to-997-2-retrofit-0unknown.jpeg

i will be removing the black faceplate off this steering wheel and throwing it on my wheel above.
1152562d1491443615-new-steering-wheel-997-1-to-997-2-retrofit-s-l1600.jpg

i also have a next to new mint oem practically new 997.2 black airbag Leather that will finish off the steering wheel.

i had no choice but to go the route of a black leather airbag simple due to the fact that a sea blue leather 997.2 airbag would HAVE to be brand new (and cost a small fortune).

ill paint my pcm black and likely have my lower console done in cobalt blue.

should look sharp!

Some very nice upgrades in the pics, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my new 997.2 wheel ,I have a carbon gen2 wheel that is pdk non mf so was going to get linas to use the carbon from that and either modify my sea blue gen2 manual mf wheel so that it was carbon and seablue leather or carbon and black alcantara to match the alcantara gear knob , armrest and handbreak rear , but the airbag is seablue so trying to picture how a seablue airbag would look with carbon and alcantara but after seeing the seablue retrimmed wheel in one of the pics I am leaning towards carbon and seablue and getting linas to thicken up the grip and thumb rests.
So thanks for the pics as its clearer for me ti visualise now. :thumb:

I've done a few interior upgrades but for me the upgrade from triangle centre wheel to GEN 2 wheel is by far the best!!

Ooooohhhh I'm liking the idea of this mod :chin:

I've always thought that the triangular wheel on my '7.1 turbo belonged in a Transit van more than a Porsche. Watching with genuine interest :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back