Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 purchase advice

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Drop the 3.8 snobbery & buy a good 3.6.
9 times out of ten they have been driven by the older gent types, have not been thrashed, & have a far less chance of going wrong. The 3.6 has proven to be almost bulletproof.
I have no idea why in this country the majority are always chasing a 3.8, why?
3.6 is a far sweeter engine, & revs more freely.
Plenty of good specc`d cars out there.
Gen 1 3.8`s are proving time & time again to be pure money pits, you could not give me one for free.

Just so you don't get misled by posts like this, this is a load of complete bulls**t, don't pay any attention to it. 3.6 engine is NOT almost bulletproof. There are plenty of 3.6's which have blown up, and there are fewer 3.6 engine cars. Yes, there are less 3.6 blowups than 3.8, but there the key is the number of them. As a percentage of blowups of 3.6 vs 3.8 no one really knows.

Tip's are also more liable to blowup because the tip box likes to pull away in 2nd gear, stressing the engine more I believe.

As someone said, get it PPI'd and Boroscoped, but the hartech "rebuild" done isn't anything like a full rebuild, it is bare minimum required so don't pay over the odds!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back