Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How To Install the Motorsport Cup Steering Wheel

Flatsix

The Cup steering wheel is an awesome mod.

I fitted mine 3 days before we went to the 'Ring.

Here's a copy & paste from my 'how to do'

Right here we go.

You need to turn the ignition key to position 1, then undo negative battery terminal,

Use a Torx 30 bit to undo the two fasteners on the back of the wheel to remove the airbag, theres a plug in the centre of the back of the bag which pops out,

Then there is a black cassette which holds the ribbon tape which also unclips,

A 24mm socket removes the centre nut and off comes the wheel,

You are faced with 4 screws which is the nacelle cover, undo these and the two on the side, this allows to remove the top cover.Then there are two plugs which frees the cassette. One is for the bag, the other for the horn,

Now the sliding contact needs a wire soldering to the pin (lenghtways, don't wrap it round because the hole it locates in is a tight fit)

Place the resistor between the airbag plugs and the wire from the sliding contact to the horn plug, sorry forget which side think its blue/brown, trial and error here,

The sliding contact is a tight fit and 'snaps' in place,

Fit the boss, trap the chrome plate with the shoulder facing you and bolt on wheel, the lead fitted to brass ring on the boss fits onto the horn which is a squeeze fit onto chrome plate.

Enjoy a level of feedback which is suppressed with the OE wheel.

Attachments

• momo_198.jpg
    momo_198.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 160
I thought I would update the original post with some pictures having fittted one of the Porsche Cup wheels recently and struggling to make out what was what.

Attachments

• horn_and_clip_140.png
    horn_and_clip_140.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 97
  • hub_525.png
    hub_525.png
    914.1 KB · Views: 97
This picture shows the underside of steering wheel with the shim and horn in place.

Attachments

• wheel_with_horn_and_plate_185.png
    wheel_with_horn_and_plate_185.png
    819.2 KB · Views: 94
The following two pictures show the situation that you will see once the airbag unit has been removed from the original steering wheel.

*Not sure why the text is not complete on the second picture but it should finish.......get to the red and yellow plugs at the rear of the console.

Attachments

• cassette_393.png
    cassette_393.png
    724 KB · Views: 90
  • horn_and_airbag_connections_109.png
    horn_and_airbag_connections_109.png
    608 KB · Views: 90

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member