Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Intermittent - Depress Clutch Error

Jam911

Albert Park
My car has an intermittent Depress Clutch error displayed when starting.

The car won't start, then next turn of the key it is fine.

The problem come and goes.

Has anyone had this?

The clutch pedal micro switch is faulty .. pretty common to the point there was a recall on it many years ago .. its not the one on the pedal itself but higher up and to the left.

Takes about 10 mins to change but its a bit of a contortionists job lol

Got the switch...

...has anyone replaced theirs, I found a Rennlist Guide but when I managed to squeeze myself under the steering wheel / dash, area, not an easy thing to do, I couldn't see the switch, all I could see is a flat plastic pipe...

Theres a heater pipe you need to undo and pull down .. you wont get it out , x2 T20 torx , one is seat side of the pipe , upwards and at the center consol side ..

The other is sideways into the pipe center consol side and from the back of the pipe .

Switch is on a plate with a 10 mm bolt .. i undo the plate and remove it and the switch then swop the switch on the bench .

My advise would be ... just get a garage to do it lol .. its a 10 min job and hardly worth the struggle if you havent done one before .. people like me have done hundreds .

Mine was totally foobarred when it failed and i removed and inspected it.

Its an easy job to do and the part is cheap.

Stupid pointless crappy switch.

Or bypass with 2" wire with spade connectors.

No need to even remove the switch: 30 second job!

Alternatively, I stripped and cleaned mine and it was fine after (so saved the cost of a new switch)

See here (page 7):

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117860

Thanks for the tips guys

GT4, excuse my ignorance but wouldn't bypassing the switch have an impact on cruise control, if fitted? I.e. depressing the clutch would no longer suspend cruise control as normal?

Sorry, mental aberration, I inadvertently posted up a mod/fix for the initial clutch pedal depression switch, not the full range switch.

(Both can be debris defeated - I cleaned one and bypassed the other)

There are two switches on the clutch pedal.

The piston type is as per the brake (#17) and acts immediately either of those two pedals are pressed (ie to disengage the cruise control, and in the case of the brake, various other processes, including lighting up the brake lights as soon as you touch the pedal).

However, the depress clutch error is caused by the simpler cantilever switch (#16), which monitors the clutch has been fully depressed (ie full travel to bulkhead) to allow safe starting of the vehicle (means you can't start in gear and run someone over etc).

702-00.gif

GT4, many thanks for the diagram and info; it makes it very clear which switch to tackle and what they look like.

:thumb:

Here is a picture of the area .

Sorry about the quality as it is very tight to work in there.

Pretty fiddly job and you need to have the right tools to hand.

Put the seat back as far as it will go and the steering wheel in the up position.

Then follow Dermots instructions

Took me about 45 mins but save 1 hour garage labour so I will spend that on wine.

Attachments

• img_1694_137.jpg
    img_1694_137.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6,364
Funny mine is going in on Friday for the fix, its a free recall fix and mine showed it hadnt been done , not getting any issues but getting it done by the opc FOC about 20mins to do ,allowed 1hr for the OPC to fart about trying to find more things for me to spend money on lol that dont really need doing . :grin:

Here is white cantilever depress clutch switch and red clutch cruise control switch

Attachments

• img_9198_107.jpg
    img_9198_107.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 6,346
Bit of a thread revival

Mine has started playing up but I'm away with the car next weekend so need it doing this week.

Will the recalls still be valid on a 2006 car?

Wonder if they could get me in in the coming week. Alternatively I'll try and do it myself.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back